NJ Restaurants & NJ Hotel &  Lodging Guides
Event Guide
Extras
Take Survey
Messageboard
funGames
E-Cards

Contact Us

Go Back   AboutNewJersey.com Messageboard > General Interest > Restaurants & Lodging/Hotels

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
BlueIrishEyes
Recent Resident

BlueIrishEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helen Elliott Candy

There used to be a candy shop on Route 22 in the Plainfield area called Helen Elliot. They had the best chocolate and brittle--I cannot find any reference to them in recent years.

Does anyone know the demise or if someone took over the business and it operates under a different name?

Thanks
BlueIrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
CraftyLady
Tourist

CraftyLady is on a distinguished road
Default Helen Elliott's

I remember that store very well. It was in North Plainfield and it was a neighborhood institution when I was growing up. Another chain named Gertrude Hawk Chocolates took it over. they've been there for several years now. Their chocolate is also very good. If you ever get there, you should try the Smidgens. They come in a lot of different varieties. If you like coconut, I recommend the Coconut Cream Smidgens.
CraftyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Jersey Warren
New Jersey Tour Guide

Jersey Warren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helen Elliott

I haven't heard Helen Elliott candy mentioned in years! Though I don't remember when and where, it probably was during my childhood in New Jersey (Bergen County).

There was another homemade candy shop on Route 17 in Paramus when I was a teen in the 60s. It was called Mrs. Hanna Krause's candies. It was right next to the furniture store where my Dad worked, and sometimes, when visiting him at the store, we stop in. They're still around (see link).
http://www.hannakrausecandy.com/aboutus.htm

Out in California (note to Marianita) there is a chain called See's that is known for their homemade candy.

This post if making me hungry for good, solid chocolate!

Last edited by Jersey Warren; 05-11-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Jersey Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
BlueIrishEyes
Recent Resident

BlueIrishEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

See's candy is very good. A friend sent us a box for Christmas every year and when I lived in SC, reps would be handing our See's in the shopping malls and taking orders.
Helen Elliot was such a part of my life. Every Easter we looked for the signature flowered boxes the big bunnies came in. I think my parents saved for Easter because all of our candy was from Helen Elliot. If we went to Plainfield we would stop in and get a treat. My mother loved their toffee that was coverd in chocolate and sprinkled with nuts. I think they opened another store or two in the 60's. What I wouldn't give for a taste of their chocolate right now.
BlueIrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
cassie
Recent Resident

cassie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default candy

theres a good place out near me called The Fudge Shop, u can even watch them make it
461 Us Highway 202
Flemington, NJ
Phone: (908) 782-7123
cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
OliviaM
Recent Resident

OliviaM is on a distinguished road

I love chocolates and candies. They're my comforters .Which one then is the best?
OliviaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
u can never go home
Tourist

u can never go home is on a distinguished road
Angry my christmas is ruined

I have been dreaming of Helen Elliot candy. I am an ex-pat since 1979. Now to find out no more Helen Elliot. P.S. I worked for Maureen See in CA. Won't buy the candy on general principle.
u can never go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
Cadillacjoe777
Tourist

Cadillacjoe777 is on a distinguished road
Default Hellen Elliott

Hellen Elliott,

Yet another great loss to the parts of NJ that where part of my youth.

Hellen Elliott had a store on Rt 17. They where doing well until there lease ran out and the owner decided to eather increase there rent or rent to someone else. That was the beginning of the demise of a wonderful store.

They had many wonderful candy treats but what they where known for the most in my eyes was there flavored marshmellow cups. They came in Coffee, Maple, Mint, Vanilla and Strawberry flavored marshmellow I think. They came eather milk or dark chocolate and covered in chocolate or open with a walnut on top. Talk about a treat that is missed by the youth of today.

I can't find anything even close today. I've tried chocolate shops from FL to VT and NJ to CA and still nothing even close.

Oh a shame for a wonderful treat.

Did I mention I was a chocoholic.

LOL
Cadillacjoe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Jersey Warren
New Jersey Tour Guide

Default What is the problem with See's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u can never go home View Post
I have been dreaming of Helen Elliot candy. I am an ex-pat since 1979. Now to find out no more Helen Elliot. P.S. I worked for Maureen See in CA. Won't buy the candy on general principle.
I understand the concept of not patronizing a business because of principles. For example: I will not patronize a business whose owners or management support the pro-abortion agenda.

I was wondering what, specifically about See bothered you. Do they treat their employees badly?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
aquarius20
Tourist

aquarius20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easter Candy

My parents used to buy our Easter basket candy from there. Loved it! My favorite was their chocolate covered coconut eggs and also the peanut butter ones. I remember the boxes they came in were so pretty at easter time, yellow and purple, too. Really miss that place.
aquarius20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Cass
Tourist

Cass is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work at the shop on Route 17 when I was in High School...great memories! I miss that smell!!!
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Jersey Warren
New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Helen Elliott on Route 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I used to work at the shop on Route 17 when I was in High School...great memories! I miss that smell!!!
Hi Cass,

Do you remember a furniture store next to Helen Elliott called C.M. Whitney? My Dad worked there as a salesman from around 1962-1965. That's how I learned about Helen Elliott candy.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Tillotsonrd
Tourist

Tillotsonrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helen Elliott

I'm with Cadillacjoe--the marshmallow cups are what I remember best. Unbelievable. If anyone ever finds something like them at another candy store, please post info here!

I had the good fortune to have a mother who REALLY liked candy, so I got to sample an amazing variety of Helen Eliott products....plus she liked to shop at Best & Co., so while we were in the neighborhood, well.....
Tillotsonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
hucklebuckfish
Tourist

hucklebuckfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember when I was a kid stopping with my grandparents coming out of New York heading back to Qtown PA, when my grandmother told my grandfather we have to stop by Helen Elliot's and get chocolate. They had the best white chocolate I have ever tasted. I will never forget it.
hucklebuckfish is offline   Reply With Quote