Thread: New Jersey Mystery Books

Recent Resident

Default New Jersey Mystery Books

NJ can boast a lot of mystery writers, and mysteries set in the Garden State. Some of my recommendations of NJ Mystery writers:
    Jane Rubino - the Cat Austen series - my favorite
    Harlan Coben - the Myron Bolitar series
    Jane Isenberg - the Bel Barrett series
    James Swain - with "hero" Tony Valentine
    Valerie Wilson Wesley - the Tamara Hale series
    Jane Kelly - the Meg Daniels series
    Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum series
    Kate Gallison - the Nick Magarac series and the Mother Lavinia series
    Lee Harris - the Christine Bennett series
    Harris, Wesley don't also set their books in NJ - other NJ mystery writers with books set elsewhere - Patricia MacDonald, Grace Edwards, Valerie Wolzein. Any additions?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I was at Princeton University bookstore a couple of weeks ago. They had a table set up of all these mystery books that take place on Princeton Campus. I didn't realize there were so many. I'm going to have to go back there and get the names of them.

Tourist

If you are looking for some detective/mysteries that are a bit unusual and original try the series of books written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child featuring the character Aloysius Pendergast. He is an FBI agent who makes his first appearance in "The Relic", but really comes into his own in "The Cabinet of Curiosities". Highly recommended.

New Jerseyan

I just overheard (so dont know the details) that one of the writers on my list just signed with an option deal to have their NJ mystery series produced for TV. Apparently it was told by the writer herself to someone in the library or bookselling business down the shore.
    ?!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb View Post
    I just overheard (so dont know the details) that one of the writers on my list just signed with an option deal to have their NJ mystery series produced for TV. Apparently it was told by the writer herself to someone in the library or bookselling business down the shore.
    ?!
    Which author is it? It would be good to have something positive being portrayed about New Jersey instead of MTV's jersey shore or the other "New Jersey reality" crap that is tarnishing New Jersey's image.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

What i heard is that it was Jane Rubino which makes sense - they have a real 'Jersey' feel but no they do not go the 'Jersey Shore' route - her characters are very funny and the books are set in South Jersey. Hope its true because i was a real fan of her books.
    I know that one of Harlan Cobens books was made into a movie last year but it was in French ?? And the first Stephanie Plum book is supposed to be made into a movie with Katherine Heigel - from Grey Anatomy - in the lead.