Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Wild West City (Still runnin' wild!)

Thread: Wild West City (Still runnin' wild!)

Tourist

Default Wild West City (Still runnin' wild!)

Has anyone visited Wild West City in Netcong lately? It's still fun. Not just for li'l varmints, but for big galoots too. If you decide to stop by, talk with some of the employees in the "Golden Nugget". They can give you a good lowdown on the park's 50-year history. See Ron Anthony perform on stage. He is well-versed in classic country music, (and he's blind.) He used to play at the Brass Bucket in Woodbridge, (when it was still the Bucket.)**
    Talk to Larry, (I forget his last name) but he's a bald, tattooed fella who says he used to be in the WWC TV ads. He told me every year they have an 'Old Timer's Day' where all the old cowboys, through the years, get together and get involved in the shoot-outs and what-not for the day. Sort of a cowboy reunion.
    Enjoy WWC's own Sarsaparilla, (Yes SARsaparilla...not SAS) Have a beer and 3 fingers of whiskey at the bar. If you don't want to miss any of the action, it's cool. You can take your beer anywhere in the park.
    Make sure you don't miss getting deputized, (and I thought I didn't need no stinkin' badges!) and mini golf is a must.
    If anyone has been there recently, or has any WWC memories, post a reply Dagnabbit!
    -Captain Dan

**The Brass Bucket used to be a horse stable waaaaay back in the day. Now it's the trouble-brewing blight, (soon-to-be-closed) Club Sleep.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome CaptainDan. Thanks for the info on Wild West City. I don't have fond memories of Wild West City and I've been wondering how it is. When I was younger they always had commercials with the stage coach robbery and the shoot-outs. My brother and I took the stage coach ride and when the bad guys tried to rob the stage coach my brother and I started to shoot them with our toy guns our parents had bought there. We got yelled at because a little kid was crying - but the guy was really mean. Ever since then I have not been happy with Wild West City - since all we did was do what they showed in their commercials.

Tourist

Default WWC

Well... I suppose the Old West has softened a bit since then, as they have special days where they do not gunfight at all- for folks that are adverse to firearms. I assume they are treading carefully to keep their head above water in this litigious society.
    Still a marvelous nugget of nostalgia though.
    Captain Dan

I'm going to have to spend a day or so and contact the various amusement parks - including Wild West City. It was cool except for that one experience I had there - that sort of ruined the whole day though and I remember quite mad about it. Maybe they can make it up to me.

Recent Resident

I drove by Wild West City several weeks ago and found it alive and running. There were not many cars in the parking lot but the signs were clear and well-maintained.

I have memories of class trips in elementary school to Wild West City. We would elbow our way into the saloon using our best imitation of a cowboy and order root beer. It was served in a mug and while we rested our elbows on the bar we thought we were very cool.

I have mixed feelings on no more gun-fights. Although it is not politically correct to tout the use of firearms, the wild west did exist and gun-fights were common.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIrishEyes
    I have mixed feelings on no more gun-fights. Although it is not politically correct to tout the use of firearms, the wild west did exist and gun-fights were common.
    You mean they don't allow gun fights anymore at all? If that is true - then that is completely ridiculous.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

The gun fights were the best part of Wild West City...as was the stage coach robbery. Did they nix that too??

Debbie
    SunDog

Recent Resident

I have done some additional checking and apparently there are only certain days they do not have the gunfight shows. This is ostensibly for the people that do not embrace firearms. I guess they discount historical facts in their pursuit of entertainment.

I have done some additional checking and apparently there are only certain days they do not have the gunfight shows. This is ostensibly for the people that do not embrace firearms. I guess they discount historical facts in their pursuit of entertainment.
    Yes people like to rewrite history so its easier to deal with. It's similar to Disney changing the Pirates of the Carribean ride. A women's group got up in arms in the 90's that the pirates were chasing the the woman and that it was demeaning to women, so Disney put trays of food in their hands and now the premise is that the pirates are chasing the food.

At Princeton Battlefield we somewhat face the same issues with guns. Some people seem to think that we could have won the revolution without guns. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before anti-gun people start complaining about the reenactments.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Default wild west question.

Hey

Is this pic from Wild West City in 1964 ?

There is a second pic with me and my mom on a stage coach. These were in a group of slides that included asbury park.

Thanks
    M

That defintely looks like Wild West City, but it's before my time. Wen I was there there was also a small - very small - amusement park ride section outside the gates. I have to get to Wild West City this year and include them in on AboutNewJersey.com's "Exploring New Jersey with Laura Crockett" travel show.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Default Speaking of guns

I do have a little rant about guns.

My Mother is totally against any kind of toy gun and 20 years ago would let me know her displeasure if I bought my kids a cap gun. Why?

The first thing I remember being interested in as a young kid was cowboys. I had a pony tricycle. boots and a hat and lots of guns. I mean I remember lots of guns. To play cowboys and indians. As un politically correct as it is that was the early 60's. I watched old cowboy movies all the time. Shoot shoot shoot. By mid 60's it was army guns and cops and robbers but it was still a form of play for one group to be shooting at another group. I knew it wasn't real to shoot someone but it was real to pretend you were shooting at someone. My Christmas pictures show I got several guns every year from 63 to 66. Something changed in 1967 and there were no more toy guns. The next gun I got wasn't until 1971 when I was 10 when I got a red ryder BB gun. But that was a "Real" gun and there was no more pointing it any anything other than a target. There was no pretend with a real gun.

I grew up knowing the difference between real and fake and my Mother doesn't know why all of a sudden she stopped letting me have guns other than I started liking other things.

The picture of me and my mother on the stagecoach at Wild West City looks a little scary. My mom has a shocked look and I'm not even paying attention because I was looking at my dad on the ground who was taking the picture

So chalk it up to times gone bye.
    Mark