Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ocean City

Thread: Ocean City

Recent Resident

Default Ocean City

it is a great place to walk the boards and take in the rays were in the summer this is the place to be

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Re: Ocean City

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal snap
    it is a great place to walk the boards and take in the rays were in the summer this is the place to be
    I've seen some things on Ocean City, but I have never been there. My cousin vacationed there last year. What kind of things are there in Ocean City - I know they have the amusements and the boardwalk. I lived in Bricktown and went to school in Point Pleasant, I have cousins who live in Beachwood - about 10 minutes from Seaside.

BTW - You must be from Nation States. Thanks for posting and I hope you will stick around a bit.

Double Edit - I looked at Nation States and confirmed it.

Recent Resident

there is lots of things on the shore arcades golf go karts all sorts of rides surreys bike riding food stands and of course the beach

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I finally took a trip to Ocean City this past weekend. I'd like to go back down there. They have a ton of themed miniature golf courses which kids and adults alike would love. One has a jungle theme and another has a pirate theme and still another has a jaws theme. There are several others also. It seems to be slightly more upscale than Seaside. There was a sit down - "real" Italian restaurant on the boardwalk. Also, some of the shops were a bit more upscale.

Basically I took a rode trip from Atlantic City, through Longport and Margate over to Ocean City. I FINALLY saw Lucy the Elephant, although I still have not been in her. I need to really remedy that.

Anyway has anyone else been to Ocean City and what type of things do you really love doing there?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Ocean city seems to be an interesting place. I wish I can visit there

Recent Resident

How is Ocean City different from Ocean Park of Hongkong?

New Jerseyan

Default Ocean City

I have spent a lot of time in Ocean City NJ - not to be confused with Ocean City Maryland! OCNJ calls itself "Americas Family Resort". There are a few amusement piers and several arcades, lots of ice cream parlors and pizza parlors and all the restaurants are family friendly. Beaches are very nice. Parking can be a problem and expensive for daytrippers who are called 'shoobies' at the shore. Because OCNJ has "blue laws" there is no alcohol sold and you cannot BYOB in any of the restaurants or bring a cooler of beer or alcoholic beverages and drink in public.
    July is the big month with a lot of activities but around July 4 and the boat parade the island gets very crowded.
    The down side of the beach is that you have to have beach badges which can be expensive and between 12th street and 34th street there are no public rest rooms. Also no dogs are allowed on the beach at all.

New Jerseyan

Cool Is it really that good?

Have not been there myself, due to a variety of reasons. Anyway is it really good, a place to hang out for the weekend, away from all the pressures of the city? Hope you can let me know, thanks and really appreciate it.

Tourist

Smile Ocean City=Great!

I live about 15 minutes away...O.C. is an island beach community. the beach is clean and well maintained. chairs, umbrellas are available for rental. beach tags are sold. board walk is two-three miles with shops, food, etc. rides and amusements are at north end. streets run in numeric order. 8th. st. up to 14th. is where most of the activity is. it's a dry town and very family oriented. on street parking w/meters (bring quarters) or lot parking. winter is great..bring your dog. music pier frequently has great shows. parades, events, kite fluying, castle bui;ding...alot of fun!

Tourist

Default OC is a fantastic beach town

Especially considering how close Ocean City (OC) is to Atlantic City, OC is probably the best beach town, ever.

It's definitely more upscale than Point Plesant or Seaside (no offense anyone), with far fewer problems. Actually, there's no legal problems in Ocean City. It's one of those rare towns in NJ where you can let the kids go have fun and not worry about them getting into any real trouble.

Some think it's a tad arrogant for OC to call itself 'America's Family Resort' but many of us who live in the area are quick to point out the Travel Channel has declared OC the number one family resort in the country several years in a row now. OC reall is 'that good'.

A good travel to OC secret: come in September! Definitely the best month to visit OC is in September, especially the first half of the month. The parking not only becomes cheaper (the one thing everyone complains about) but also a whole heck of a lot easier. In early September it's still plenty warm enough to jump in the water. The average water temperature in September is usually warmer the same as June. The town's also far less crowded in September. The average around 4th of July weekend has about 1/4 million people on the island, but there's only around 20k-25k year round residents. That means as soon as Labor Day passes, the number of people on the island shrinks drastically. Also, none of the businesses/boardwalk shuts down that early for the season. Labor Day is not only a time to good end of the season bar-b-q time in OC, but it's also a bit of a local celebration due to most of the tourists leaving (no offense).

OC and Cape May are in my opinion, by far and away, the two greatest beach towns on the planet. With OC being so close to Atlantic City, OC becomes unbeatable.

Recent Resident

Very nice information about Ocean City

Tourist

Since alcohol is not served or sold on the island, OC is not a party town. You have to go across the 9th street bridge to Sommers Point or the 34st bridge to Marmora to buy alcohol (there are a number of liquor stores right across the bridges) and bring it back to your house/rental on the island. People cook at home or bring take out home a lot because that is the only way to have beer and wine with dinner. There is plenty of drinking in OC, its just done at home among family and friends.

OC has over 5 miles of very nice beach. From about 6th street to 15th street (the northern end of the island) is the commercial part of the boardwalk. As you go south (15th street through 58th street) it basically just gets to be all houses (very little retail). There is some retail stuff along 34th street and 55th street and a few places dotted here and there. From mid-island to the south end, the beach is extremely wide. The sand is very fine and powdery -- some of the nicest beach sand in the world I think. The main activity here in the summer is sitting on the beach. Although the beaches can be very crowded in the summer, the people are universally nice.

There is excellent fishing all around the island and offshore. The main fish targeted are flounder, striped bass, bluefish, weakfish and tautog. You can fish right in the surf or from the jetties at the north end or go to corsons inlet at the south end of the island.

OC also has very good surfing. There are a number of surf shops. Surfing at the north end of the island around the jetties seems to be the most popular. Surfing is a year-round activity with wetsuits used in non-summer months.

There really is no "night-life" in OC besides walking the boardwalk. The amusement rides on the boardwalk are a big attraction because there are rides for todlers through teenagers. Other than outings to the board walk, people mostly stay home at night with family and friends. Getting take-out seafood or grilling on your deck and watching a Phillies game is the usual evening activity here.

Ocean city is a great place. I live pretty close to it, and I think I've been there at least every summer, if not more than just summers. The boardwalk is definitely the main attraction.

It's healthy on one hand because you can walk it a couple times and enjoy it every time. On the other hand, it's absolutely terrible for you because you pass approximately 1,000,000 fried food stores! Go figure!
    JerseyMic.com is FREE, and actually goes to open mics in NJ to take pictures and write reviews. An NJ open mic website that was started by a New Jerseyian for New Jerseyians and isn't annoying.

JerseyMic.com

Default Ocean City

The wife and I are hoping to rent there this year. We went to chincoteague the past two years but need to be closer for our weekend sign business.

any tips where to rent?

] Jokesters, advertisers and political bloggers check out
    Penn Jersey Forums login as guest, password 2011

Tourist

Default Used to Live There & Still Love It

Ocean City is a great town year 'round. I used to live there some time ago and my wife and I really enjoyed it.

The best secret is visiting in either June or September. The weather is great and most of the crowds have either not arrived yet or have already left. If you rent a home, stick with one in the north end of the island (north of 5th street). You can walk to all the attractions, market, etc...

Enjoy.

New Jerseyan

Another thing to keep in mind is that Ocean City is a very good place to bring the family over the Christmas weeks - before Christmas they have a lot of family fun activities on Saturdays along the main downtown street -Asbury - and they have a First Night on New Years eve that has been selling out (you have to buy a badge or a button to wear) - some nice shops