Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continental Arena vs Newark Arena

Tourist

What I ment to say is, that many Nets fans on Basketballboards.net, would rather see the Nets in Brooklyn, then in New Jersey. I can't begin to tell you guys how many arguments I had with Nets fans who support the move to Brooklyn.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    A couple of months ago the Devils owner said they were welcome to use the Newark arena if they need to .
    As a PERMANENT tenant or just as the typical - "you can use us for the time being because we know you want to be in NY"? If they continue to have plans to go to Brooklyn - I do not want the Nets staying here. As the state - I would make the cost of renewing their lease very very expensive. Might as well get as much out of them as we can while they're here, before they finally stick the knife all the way in.

Pookiebluez - those are awesome pics of the arena. How can anyone be against it and yet support the turncoat Jets, Giants and Red Bull stadiums? As for your comment about NJ fans would rather see them play in Brooklyn - why is that? Is it because they're ashamed of the NJ name being tied to the team? If this is the case, then NJ is far more screwed up then I thought when it comes to any sense of pride, or maybe these are just transplants from NY who are saying that.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by Pookiebluez
    What I ment to say is, that many Nets fans on Basketballboards.net, would rather see the Nets in Brooklyn, then in New Jersey. I can't begin to tell you guys how many arguments I had with Nets fans who support the move to Brooklyn.
    You mean they aren't going to mind the $7 it's going to cost just cross the bridge? I wonder if they are New Jerseyans or if they are New Yorkers. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they are plants from Ratner. It's not uncommon for corporations to hire people to post things like that on messageboards, and after the article in NJ Monthly about the Nets, I wouldn't put it past them to do this.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

I think it has to do with the fact that the arena is being built in Newark. We all know that most people in Jersey, wouldn't even think about stepping into Newark, let alone see a sporting event in the city.

New Jerseyan

Im thinking the arena in Newark will be a success . Alot of people in different places like nj.com and the Rutgers - Rivals board support it and are looking forward to going . Also the Devils fans where I work seem to be happy about the arena to.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by Pookiebluez
    I think it has to do with the fact that the arena is being built in Newark. We all know that most people in Jersey, wouldn't even think about stepping into Newark, let alone see a sporting event in the city.
    Which is ridiculous because Newark is coming back. What is funny about that is that Newark is a thousand times better than what New York was during the 70's and 80's - yet people continued to go there to watch sports teams. The attitude toward Newark is because of complete ignorance. I would rather go to Newark than Crooklyn anyday. Newark has so many great things to see - and as I said - it's out of pure ignorance that people have a problem with it. It's time New Jerseyans wake up and start supporting OUR cities.

And let me tell you - anyone that doesn't eat in the Iron Bound district is really missing out.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    I swear, The Record is still trying all it can to stop the Newark Arena from being built. Me personally, I have had many great times at the Continental Airlines Arena. I live and work roughly 15 minutes from it. But, that being said, the sad reality is that for many people the CAA is a hassle to get to. And the atmosphere there leaves a lot to be desired. I myself can't wait to go to the new Newark Arena. Too bad the Nets don't plan on joining the Devils there. It could be awesome.

Here's The Record article from Thursday July 27:

The Record
    July 27, 2006
    2 Arenas Are One Too Many
    By Mike Kelly

If you want to see what New Jersey politics has done to us, go to the corner of Mulberry and Hamilton streets in Newark.

Looming above the lonely weeds pushing through cracks in the sidewalk is the steel skeleton of Newark's new sports arena.

Go there now and you can hear the sounds of work -- a crane groaning to lift a piece of steel, jackhammers pounding rivets, trucks kicking up dust where Mulberry's asphalt once was.

From nearby City Hall, though, you hear another sound -- that of a mayor pumping the brakes, possibly to stop this arena.

But isn't the arena already under construction? Why stop now?

That's the problem.

New Jersey has been fighting for years over whether to keep the Continental Arena in the Meadowlands or build an arena in Newark. Because no governor would step into this political thicket, our state may soon find itself with two sports arenas less than 10 miles apart.

This is not something to brag about -- not like the twin lions, Patience and Fortitude, that flank the steps of the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, or even the upper and lower decks of the George Washington Bridge.

Having two sports arenas will not make New Jersey look better in the way those lions dress up the library steps. And unlike the twin decks on the George Washington Bridge, which are needed to handle traffic, the Garden State does not have enough sports, circuses or concerts for two arenas.

On far too many days and nights, those arenas will be empty, mere boxes, taking up space, draining money.

To his credit, Newark Mayor Cory Booker views the city arena and the money spent there in moral terms. Should Newark spend its money on an arena or on poor people?

Booker's predecessor, Sharpe James, was so obsessed with an arena in poverty-stricken Newark that he allocated $210 million in municipal funds for it even when the city needed more cops and modernized schools. The Devils hockey team pledged $100 million, plus cost overruns.

But the estimated price for the arena has risen to $350 million and could top out at $500 million. Who pays that? A hockey team?

Booker, who grew up in Bergen County, told me two months ago that he wanted to stop the Newark arena and use the money to improve the lives of the poor. But construction began before he took office on July 1. Now, the arena skeleton rises almost 100 feet on one side.

Bringing that down will be hard. But it could happen.

Booker hired a lawyer to look at Newark's deal with the Devils. One option is for Newark to pull out of the project, Booker's staff says.

It's a noble thought, even courageous. But to reexamine the deal, Newark is paying attorney Paul Fader $175 an hour.

Do the math: If Fader, a Democratic fund-raiser who played a key role in putting together the deal for a new football stadium in the Meadowlands, puts in 100 hours, he takes $17,500 about half a year's salary for a Newark teacher. If he puts in 1,000 hours, he gets $175,000. That's enough to remodel a few classrooms, maybe stock a few hundred library shelves, maybe even hire a few nurses to monitor kids' health problems.

For the rest of the state, especially the Bergen towns that depend on the Meadowlands for business, a Newark arena could drain away jobs.

This is not news to New Jersey's leaders. But it will be news if Cory Booker steps forward and follows his moral compass to stop work on an arena his city does not need.

If that happens, pay attention. Don't bet on it, though.

That steel skeleton looming over Mulberry Street is strong.

So are the weeds that still grow from the cracks in the sidewalk.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk5
    Can you imagine all the millions Newark would have to shell out in lawsuits and legal fees if Cory were to stop the arena? It would probably cost a lot more than the 210 million Newark is using to pay for it. Not only would the Devils sue Newark but also investors, bondholders and possibly the league itself would be in on the lawsuits. And all these businessmen like Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek know each other real well and would probably show solidarity against investing in the city. In other words, Cory would have to throw any economic plans for Newark out the window because investors will avoid Newark like the plague. Not to mention, Newark would become a national laughingstock. Cory NEEDS the Vanderbeeks and other like him to invest their money in Newark. At the jobsite, they are finished with half the framing and are well into the second half. If Cory wanted to stop the arena, he should have challenged it last year before ground was broken.

New Jerseyan

Default Prudential Center (Newark Arena) PHOTOS

For excellent (updated) photos of the current Newark Arena construction going on and for model photos of what the finished arena will look like, inside and out, go to the New Jersey Devils website. Here is the specific link:

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2005/...galleries.php#

A word of caution: this arena is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! Just look at the pictures. Inside and out, it is going to make the Continental Airlines Arena seem ANCIENT, in comparison.

This area has not seen a sports venue this nice, ever. The only building that comes close is the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. But the Newark Arena will be even more modern!

Oh, and by the way, for those who have not heard, the name of the arena will be the Prudential Center -- nicknamed The Rock. Which makes sense because Prudential is based out of Newark. How cool is that!

Go Devils!
    Last edited by A-Line; 01-12-2007 at 01:51 AM.

I go by the Arena 5 days a wekk heading to work. I think the construction is way ahead of schedule due to the weather. My only concern will be the traffic when it is done. Jersians dont use public trans for sporting events.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Default I'm excited about the arena going up in Newark. But

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    For excellent (updated) photos of the current Newark Arena construction going on and for model photos of what the finished arena will look like, inside and out, go to the New Jersey Devils website. Here is the specific link:

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2005/...galleries.php#

A word of caution: this arena is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! Just look at the pictures. Inside and out, it is going to make the Continental Airlines Arena seem ANCIENT, in comparison.

This area has not seen a sports venue this nice, ever. The only building that comes close is the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. But the Newark Arena will be even more modern!

Oh, and by the way, for those who have not heard, the name of the arena will be the Prudential Center -- nicknamed The Rock. Which makes sense because Prudential is based out of Newark. How cool is that!

Go Devils!
    I do have one question.
    With this world class arena being built in Newark, will the state FINALLY back
    its largest city and help make it a WORLD CLASS CITY again? I don't mean giving the city blank checks or making it a suburb of NY. But, with real planning, making it our own MAJOR
    CITY with its own character and charm! Will the state get behind Newark's efforts to lure more major corporations and promote the city worldwide. Or will NJ continue to belittle Newark and keep the city from overcoming all the negative perceptions. This is important, because the arena will not succeed if the only things that people hear about Newark are negative.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    I do have one question.
    With this world class arena being built in Newark, will the state FINALLY back
    its largest city and help make it a WORLD CLASS CITY again? I don't mean giving the city blank checks or making it a suburb of NY. But, with real planning, making it our own MAJOR
    CITY with its own character and charm! Will the state get behind Newark's efforts to lure more major corporations and promote the city worldwide. Or will NJ continue to belittle Newark and keep the city from overcoming all the negative perceptions. This is important, because the arena will not succeed if the only things that people hear about Newark are negative.
    I think this will be the responsibility of Cory Booker. The state of New Jersey and it's politicians seem to be generally inept when it comes to promoting New Jersey, it's history, culture and it's cities. Cory Booker MUST change Newark into a world class city, attract the businesses, arts and yet prevent it from being considered "a suburb" of New York. I'm sad to say that New Jersey still seems satisfied with not establishing a positive and unique identity. While other states proudly announce "Welcome to....", we silently, almost shamefully, whisper it. Unless things change with how our politicians promote New Jersey, I don't see much change in how they promote our greatest cities.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Talking

While I agree our politicians dont do much (it seems) to promote N.J., a bill recently went through congress and was signed into law by the President making 13 counties in N.J. a national heritage area. This all because of our Rev. war history. This area is now known as The Crossroads Of The Revolution National Heritage Area. This bill was backed by the National Park Service after they did a study in the state of these sites and found this to be fesible. There will be a northern H.Q. at Morristown (site of the worst winter of the war-NOT VALLEY FORGE) and a southern H.Q. at Trenton (site of the turning point of the war- NOT SARATOGA). N.J. will get $1 million a year for 10 years from the Fed. Govt. to use to promote tourism, preserve, and educate the public about these sites. I believe this bill took 6 years to get through Congress but our Representatives and Senators both Republican and Democrat from N.J. kept at it. They did this because they know as I know our states war history has been ignored by historians. So maybe our politcians are finally getting it but I wont hold my breath! I recently came across a full page article in the New York Times about the bill and they pointed out how alot of our Rev.War history has been ignored and how we in N.J. are finally trying to reclaim our spot and tell about our sacrafices in the war. I just hope the state is successful and smart with this money. A very good book came out a few years ago. It is called Washingtons Crossing and was written by David Hackett Fischer. It tells about the events leading up to the crossing and the 3 months of day after day combat that took place in N.J. after the crossing, the 2 battles of Trenton and The Battle of Princeton. He said this story has never been told, but what happened here in N.J. in those 3 months is incredible. I also believe this book got the Pulitzer Prize in History. The book got great reviews from people all over the country. As far as the culture goes this past October there was a state culture fair at Trenton promoted by Gov. Corzine. And we must not forget about the N.J. history fair held at Washington Crossing State Park the first Saturday in May every year. This year it was attended by people from 6 states. I even heard some people from Penn. say they like N.J. history. As far as the Newark arena goes I am looking forward to going there. Cory Booker reworked the deal with the Devils to use the arena to promote the city more. The Meadowlands is a JOKE and the people who run the place are hardly pro Jersey. I truly hope the arena there gets knocked down and that waste of money called Xanadu is a complete failure!
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 01-14-2007 at 12:29 AM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !