Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Continental Arena vs Newark Arena
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continental Arena vs Newark Arena

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Continental Arena vs Newark Arena

This is to discuss the Newark Arena. I have always supported the arena - and still do. When McGreevey came into office, he threwout all the work Whitman had done. Becuase of this we have lost the Nets. I think it is important we do not lose the Devils.

Sports teams unite and bring pride to a state. As it is we have TWO football teams who would rather have people think they are New York teams. We are losing out basketball team to Brooklyn unless that falls threw and we risk losing the 3 time Stanley Cup Champions - the New Jersey Devils without the Newark Arena.

Are you for or against the arena and who should pay for it? It seems like NY throws money around like crazy for their image and NJ doesn't spend any money on our image. NY currently has the Westside Stadium, Brooklyn Arena and possibly a new Yankees stadium all in the works. What does New Jersey do? We have the south who supports the out of state teams in Philadelphia and many northern New Jerseyans who support NY teams - even though we do have very good teams.

Will the Newark Arena be viewed as a place to see New JERSEY teams - or will it be just a Newark arena? If New Jersey was to try to have teams that appealed to both the north and south - where should such an Arena be placed?

New Jerseyan

Default Newark Arena

I know it's a little late to be talking pro or con about the Newark Arena, since
    the project is now underway(finally!!). But I learned just how much Newark is still hated by NJ. In general, people here would have rather seen the teams leave the state than move to Newark, no matter who pays for it. The politicans, who railed against the project, are now quiet when it comes to the new Giants/Jets stadium.
    True, the negative perception of Newark, and the pols trying to cash in on that perception were big. But I also blame Yankeenets for the arena not getting done sooner. Once they got their sports channel up and running, the New York side of Yankeenets lost interest in Newark(maybe they never had it to begin with). They left the New Jersey owners, primarily Ray Chambers and
    Lewis Katz, to fend for themselves. Then Katz went behind Chambers' back and negotiated with Bruce Ratner to move the Nets to Brooklyn.The Devils remained commited to Newark and now will be playing there in 2007 barring any unforseen problems.
    I believe the state's largest city is the place to have the arena. The mass transit is already there. People can relax before the game instead of leaving
    work, going home, and then fighting more traffic to get to the game like they now do at the Meadowlands. There will be restaurants and other things.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    This is to discuss the Newark Arena. I have always supported the arena - and still do. When McGreevey came into office, he threwout all the work Whitman had done. Becuase of this we have lost the Nets. I think it is important we do not lose the Devils.

Sports teams unite and bring pride to a state. As it is we have TWO football teams who would rather have people think they are New York teams. We are losing out basketball team to Brooklyn unless that falls threw and we risk losing the 3 time Stanley Cup Champions - the New Jersey Devils without the Newark Arena.

Are you for or against the arena and who should pay for it? It seems like NY throws money around like crazy for their image and NJ doesn't spend any money on our image. NY currently has the Westside Stadium, Brooklyn Arena and possibly a new Yankees stadium all in the works. What does New Jersey do? We have the south who supports the out of state teams in Philadelphia and many northern New Jerseyans who support NY teams - even though we do have very good teams.

Will the Newark Arena be viewed as a place to see New JERSEY teams - or will it be just a Newark arena? If New Jersey was to try to have teams that appealed to both the north and south - where should such an Arena be placed?
    In general, I think that no public money should be used to build a stadium for any one.

The four major sports are wealthy enough that they can build their own stadiums. Their is no need for the public to be held hostage too the whims of sports teams. The teams can ask for new stadiums. The public does not need to go into debt to pay for something will primarily benefit a few corporations and/or private individuals.

I do not have much problem with the building of appropriate infrastructure to support additional traffic around a stadium.

I think that Newark is a fine place for a stadium. Especially, if it is connected to mass transit.

Regarding location of a State Team, I think anywhere along the Trenton-Newark corridor is ideal for a central location.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

beatman - it's never too late to discuss the arena. I agree with you - it's about time it's happening. It should have happened a LONG time ago before the Nets decided to leave. Another one of McGreevey's great moves. Now the Arena is still going on, but with ONLY ONE team instead of TWO. Oh well - at least we keep the Devils - a PROUD New Jersey team.

I'm not even sure if the Nets are going to move to Brooklyn. There hasn't been any movement on the arena front there as far as I know. It's still been just talk. I also find it interesting how they plan on having some games in NJ so they can try keeping the NJ fans. They know they can't survive without the NJ fans and NJ fans aren't going to go all the way to Brooklyn I don't think. Not enough go to the Meadowlands as it is. Another thing, NY already has the Knicks - which most brookylnites support. I don't think they're really going to switch from the Knicks to the Nets.

As for the location of the arena - I think it will be great for Newark. It will be much easier for me to go see them. I just have to hop on the train and get off at Newark Penn Station. Don't have to worry about going to the Meadowlands.

It would be nice if our so-called NJ Politicians supported PROUD New Jersey teams, as much as they seem willing to support wannabe NY teams (cough - Giants and Jets - cough) I swear - so many of them must get funding from NY it's not even funny. It's got to be the only explanation why they're so willing to sell NJ out to NY all the time.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

i drive by the new Arena almost everyday. They seemed to have stopped work on it until the Devils kick in their 100 million. I believe a promisery note has been signed. They have taken down the Devils sign that was hanging until the money dispute is settled. As far as taking the train to Penn Station. It is still about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the arena which is on Broad Street by the Town Hall. As for the Devils i'm going to the game Saturday.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    i drive by the new Arena almost everyday. They seemed to have stopped work on it until the Devils kick in their 100 million. I believe a promisery note has been signed. They have taken down the Devils sign that was hanging until the money dispute is settled.
    I had heard about the money issue on NJN News - but they said work was continuing forward.
    As far as taking the train to Penn Station. It is still about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the arena which is on Broad Street by the Town Hall. As for the Devils i'm going to the game Saturday.
    The 10 - 15 minute walk isn't an issue for me - since I walk to the Newark Museum from the train station. Is there a subway station near the new arena or will they be putting in a new station?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

No subway station the new one is running over to the broad street station. All the buses run by the arena. They may put a shuttle bus in from Penn staton.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Default Mayor-elect Cory Booker may still try to kill the

arena deal. Even with the framing almost half done, he says he will reevaluate the deal and possibly kill it if he feels the arena won't make money. I can't believe he's willing to expose Newark to millions in lawsuits, turn future businesses away, and leave another "Renaissance Mall" like steel skeleton sitting for 20 years as a grim reminder of another failed Newark project. Does he really hate Sharpe James that much? No wonder why people laugh at Newark The city keeps shooting itself in the foot!

I go by the site every day on the way to work. It was depreesing seeing the parly built Renasance mall all those years. They already have part of the frame for the Arena up and a big hole dug. Maybe they will find Jimmy Hoffa there.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Default Arena

The arena will continue to rise and The Devils will call it home in 2007 ! And Newark will continue to improve also .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I go by the site every day on the way to work. It was depreesing seeing the parly built Renasance mall all those years. They already have part of the frame for the Arena up and a big hole dug. Maybe they will find Jimmy Hoffa there.
    Well since they have ther hole dug, maybe they can use it to bury anyone who does try to put a stop to it's progress.

New Jersey Proud!

In any other board I'd be very active in this thread struggling to convince people that Newark is not Sodom, but for whatever reason I don't think I really need to do the selling job here that I do elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NewarkDevil5
    In any other board I'd be very active in this thread struggling to convince people that Newark is not Sodom, but for whatever reason I don't think I really need to do the selling job here that I do elsewhere.
    That's probably because most of us have been to Newark and know what it's really like. There are a lot of improivements that need to be made of course, but I know Newark can become a world class city. The thing is, convincing New Jersey politicans and residents to have this vision. Our politicians seem to be changing NJ into a commuter state and abandoning our cities completely. I know this has been going on for a while, but it seems ot be happening at faster pace now. It's like New Jerseyans just accept the "surburb" stereotype and don"t want to promote the greta history and heritage and culture our cities have.

The city that is the hardest to defend is Camden, but I love the Camden waterfont. My feeling is that Camden (the waterfront area) is far nicer than anything in trenton at the moment. Yet the only thing that people think when they hear Camden - is murder capital of the US.

This post was slighly off topic, but needed to be said. I would not think twice, nor do I think twice about going to newark. I have even walked down Broad St at 9:00pm With the Arena, it will be even greater because people who wouldnt think about going into Newark, will take that trip and have their eyes opened and go "This is Newark? Wow - I never knew it built up like this!"

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default I guess we'll know more about Cory and the arena

in a month or two. I'm hoping he'll at least meet with Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek before he makes a decision. Cory needs to realize that not all businesses that want to move to Newark are advisaries who just want to suck up city funds and then leave. Plus I don't think Vanderbeek would stick an arena where it would fail, given his financial background. The arena is part of a whole downtown redevelopment plan, not some building that's stuck in the middle of nowhere like Continental. But, as usual, our newspapers are calling for the arena deal to be killed in their editorial section. Of course, when Gov Corzine called for the Giants Stadium deal to be changed, the papers ranted, "A deal is a deal!!" And they haven't even got one shovel in the ground yet! NJ doesn't want anything for Newark unless it's a new jail or toxic waste dump. Our cities are not be economic hubs,but instead, they are places where we stick undesirable things and ignore them!

Well I agree that NJ politicans have been hypocrits when it comes to the sports deals. They have no problem spending $85 million on a stadium - and that's for a team that even refuses to wear NJ on their uniforms and had the nerve to now wear NY. Everyone knows that I think the Giants and Jets should have been sent back over the river, hey - I would have even have gone to Giants stadium to pack their crap for them too. As you said - the Newark Arena is only ONE part of much larger development, which includes shops, restaurants and housing. It is ridiculous that they call for this project to be killed. What else is going to be built which would attract so many New Jerseyans to Newark? One of the best things I love about this Arena is that it's easily accessible from the train, unlike the Meadowlands which is in the middle of nowhere (oh - but they make sure they have busing avialble from NY ). Also, have you seen the area around it? The roads are a mess. This is what irritates me so much about NJ. Places that millions of people see - NJ does nothing to beautify the area. The entrance to Liberty State Park from the turnpike is another prime example. Okay - I'll stop ranting again and to think, people on other messageboards used to always accuse me of never criticizing NJ.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Continental Arena vs Newark Arena

I swear, The Record is still trying all it can to stop the Newark Arena from being built. Me personally, I have had many great times at the Continental Airlines Arena. I live and work roughly 15 minutes from it. But, that being said, the sad reality is that for many people the CAA is a hassle to get to. And the atmosphere there leaves a lot to be desired. I myself can't wait to go to the new Newark Arena. Too bad the Nets don't plan on joining the Devils there. It could be awesome.

Here's The Record article from Thursday July 27:

The Record
    July 27, 2006
    2 Arenas Are One Too Many
    By Mike Kelly

If you want to see what New Jersey politics has done to us, go to the corner of Mulberry and Hamilton streets in Newark.

Looming above the lonely weeds pushing through cracks in the sidewalk is the steel skeleton of Newark's new sports arena.

Go there now and you can hear the sounds of work -- a crane groaning to lift a piece of steel, jackhammers pounding rivets, trucks kicking up dust where Mulberry's asphalt once was.

From nearby City Hall, though, you hear another sound -- that of a mayor pumping the brakes, possibly to stop this arena.

But isn't the arena already under construction? Why stop now?

That's the problem.

New Jersey has been fighting for years over whether to keep the Continental Arena in the Meadowlands or build an arena in Newark. Because no governor would step into this political thicket, our state may soon find itself with two sports arenas less than 10 miles apart.

This is not something to brag about -- not like the twin lions, Patience and Fortitude, that flank the steps of the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, or even the upper and lower decks of the George Washington Bridge.

Having two sports arenas will not make New Jersey look better in the way those lions dress up the library steps. And unlike the twin decks on the George Washington Bridge, which are needed to handle traffic, the Garden State does not have enough sports, circuses or concerts for two arenas.

On far too many days and nights, those arenas will be empty, mere boxes, taking up space, draining money.

To his credit, Newark Mayor Cory Booker views the city arena and the money spent there in moral terms. Should Newark spend its money on an arena or on poor people?

Booker's predecessor, Sharpe James, was so obsessed with an arena in poverty-stricken Newark that he allocated $210 million in municipal funds for it even when the city needed more cops and modernized schools. The Devils hockey team pledged $100 million, plus cost overruns.

But the estimated price for the arena has risen to $350 million and could top out at $500 million. Who pays that? A hockey team?

Booker, who grew up in Bergen County, told me two months ago that he wanted to stop the Newark arena and use the money to improve the lives of the poor. But construction began before he took office on July 1. Now, the arena skeleton rises almost 100 feet on one side.

Bringing that down will be hard. But it could happen.

Booker hired a lawyer to look at Newark's deal with the Devils. One option is for Newark to pull out of the project, Booker's staff says.

It's a noble thought, even courageous. But to reexamine the deal, Newark is paying attorney Paul Fader $175 an hour.

Do the math: If Fader, a Democratic fund-raiser who played a key role in putting together the deal for a new football stadium in the Meadowlands, puts in 100 hours, he takes $17,500 about half a year's salary for a Newark teacher. If he puts in 1,000 hours, he gets $175,000. That's enough to remodel a few classrooms, maybe stock a few hundred library shelves, maybe even hire a few nurses to monitor kids' health problems.

For the rest of the state, especially the Bergen towns that depend on the Meadowlands for business, a Newark arena could drain away jobs.

This is not news to New Jersey's leaders. But it will be news if Cory Booker steps forward and follows his moral compass to stop work on an arena his city does not need.

If that happens, pay attention. Don't bet on it, though.

That steel skeleton looming over Mulberry Street is strong.

So are the weeds that still grow from the cracks in the sidewalk.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk5

A-Line I see what you mean. This reporter even acts like the Continental Arena is the only thing in the Meadowlands. How are the businesses around the meadowlands going to suffer if the Continental Arena is closed down? There is Xanadu going in (although what that wil be is anyone guess now), the two turncoat football teams (that no one seems to have any problem with the state spening hundreds of millions of dollars on) and the meadowlands racetrack. Also, I don't think the Arena is going to be there anymore. I fully support the Newark Arena, the arena - which some people seem to want to ignore - is just the centerpiece for a complete revitalization of that area which will bring in a lot of additional money.

BTW - it also seems like this reporter has contempt for hockey - "But the estimated price for the arena has risen to $350 million and could top out at $500 million. Who pays that? A hockey team?" If the devils got the support from New Jersey citizens the way the NY teams get from their citizens - then yes - a hockey tem can support the over runs. Also - if the deal hadn't had to keep stopping and starting after each new governor came in - we woudl have both the Devils AND the NETS in there. The Nj newspapers ***** about the Devils getting an arena in Newakr - but are completely silent and often praise the one sided deal NJ handed to the ungrateful Giants and Jets. I wonder why that is? Also - NJ newspapers are also quiet about the pied piper attitude that the Nets have toward New Jerseyans and how they are trying to now finally create a "loyal" following of New Jerseys to follow them when they move to Brooklyn. Why do our newspapers never support what is good for New Jersey. Just look at the article from the Star Ledger on the Hudson Rail Tunnel as another example of NJ newspapers not standing up for New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

A-Line - I combined your "Continental Arena vs Newark Arena" with the old Newark Arena thread, however I did keep your thread's name. It would just be better right now to keep all the discussion of the Newark Arena in one thread.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Newark Arena!!!!! Here are some pics from the Devils Website.

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2005/...ainterior.php#

The Outside.

I got these pics via Basketballboards.net If anyone wants to check it out. It is sad to see that many Nets fans in Jersey, would rather have the Nets play in Brooklyn, than in their very own state. Sad

New Jerseyan

I for 1 am a Nets Fan and know many others who would prefer the Nets stay here in Jersey . Alot of us think in the long run they will also end up in Newark . A couple of months ago the Devils owner said they were welcome to use the Newark arena if they need to .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !