Thread: Moving from ATL to NJ

Tourist

Default Moving from ATL to NJ

Hi everyone, I am new to this board and so far very impressed with how helpful everyone is.

I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Here is my situation, I will be moving from Atlanta to work in Manhatten and alot of people tell me that I should live outside the city due to things be less pricey in the apartment market. One of the biggest recommendations people have made was Jersey City. From what I can tell I have heard nothing but good things about Jersey City so here are my questions

1) I need something that I can easily commute to work from. I have no idea at this point how people commute into the city or how easy it is. How is this done?

2) I hear about good Italian neighborhoods in New Jersey, being Italian myself I would love to be close to that culture, is Jersey City considered an Italian nighborhood?

3) Any things or areas in Jersey City that I should stay away from?

4) Anything decent available around $1200?

Thank you so much in advance and what a great board this is!
    Last edited by ViperBite4; 11-26-2006 at 02:45 PM.

It is very easy to comute to NY from Jersey City by use of the Path train. Be very careful with Jersey City there are good and bad parts as with any big city. I do know a Jersey City cop so I can find out where to stay away from. I do not know your age but Hoboken would also be a good choice and many other areas in NJ are easy to get to NY from by using the train. Where in Manhatten will you be working and what size apartment are you looking for?
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Hi Dave,

Thank you for responding to my post. To answer your questions I am a 27 year old single professional that will be working directly across from the empire state building. I was looking for a one bedroom apartment moderate in size I guess you could say. I dont want anything too small. Any safe area recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

Adam