Thread: Statue of Liberty restrictions

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Statue of Liberty restrictions

I'm really upset. The Statue of Liberty will only PARTIALLY be reopened as far as I am concerned. People will NO LONGER be able to climb up to the crown. They will have a plexiglass barrier at the base of the statue - that will allow people to look up into the structure - but that is NOT the same thing.

People will need reservation to even go into the statue now. That's fine - but I have a feeling that all the reservations will be used up by people coming over from Battery Park. They had better not.

I feel there were much better ways to reopen the statue and also continue to allow people to climb up to the crown.

What are people's thoughts about the new restrictions and have you ever gone into the Statue? I'm lucky - i have been in it tons of times and have pictures inside the crown. I'm upset for people such as my friend from Sweden who may never get to experience it.

Lady ***** of the Forest

Default Re: Statue of Liberty restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I'm really upset. The Statue of Liberty will only PARTIALLY be reopened as far as I am concerned. People will NO LONGER be able to climb up to the crown. They will have a plexiglass barrier at the base of the statue - that will allow people to look up into the structure - but that is NOT the same thing.

People will need reservation to even go into the statue now. That's fine - but I have a feeling that all the reservations will be used up by people coming over from Battery Park. They had better not.

I feel there were much better ways to reopen the statue and also continue to allow people to climb up to the crown.

What are people's thoughts about the new restrictions and have you ever gone into the Statue? I'm lucky - i have been in it tons of times and have pictures inside the crown. I'm upset for people such as my friend from Sweden who may never get to experience it.
    This really is a shame. :-/ The Statue of Liberty was a gift to the people of the United States from France. It represents our long friendship with that country and our relationship with them.

Have you sent them a letter about your concerns and disappointments. *imagines JD has, but must ask anyway*

Default Re: Statue of Liberty restrictions

I am disappointed in this development as well. I am not sure how much the cost would be to ensure that the statue can be kept safe (if possible).

One possible compromise would be to have an phoney lady liberty head and have LCD/plasma tv screens where the windows should be located. The tv screens would be connected to cameras that are positioned where the windows are on the statue of liberty. If done properly, this could give a realistic enough view from the "top" of the statue of Liberty and still provide reasonable security for the landmark.

It is not perfect, but I think it is better than looking through plexiglass.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

I went up to the Statue of Liberty during the reopening. I will be posting more about it - but I just wanted to say right now that I think it's outrageous how the parks department is lying about why they didn't reopen the statue to the crown. They actually had the NERVE to tell people in the group I was in that it took 6 hours to climb the statue when the crown had been opened. I had been up to the crown in Aug 2001 - and many times before then - I know it did not take 6 hours to go up there.

I went up to the Statue of Liberty during the reopening. I will be posting more about it - but I just wanted to say right now that I think it's outrageous how the parks department is lying about why they didn't reopen the statue to the crown. They actually had the NERVE to tell people in the group I was in that it took 6 hours to climb the statue when the crown had been opened. I had been up to the crown in Aug 2001 - and many times before then - I know it did not take 6 hours to go up there.
    That's the reason they gave!? That's ridiculous. Looking out from the crown was the main novelty of the site for me. Who goes just to see the ground floor museum anyway?

I climbed to the crown twice, and on the last time we took maybe an hour. There was an couple of Indian immigrants behind us in line, and in the middle of the statue the guy proposed to his girlfriend. That'll never happen again.

Didn't it seem like everybody was complaining when they were even just starting to consider closing the crown? The people shouldn't be ignored like that, esspecially about such a symbol of freedom and respect.

Tyhat isn't even the best one that they were telling people. I'll tell you more about my experience tomorrow because I have to get up to go to Cape May - but the other thing they were trying to say is "in case of a fire". The entire fort is stone and the statue is entirely metal - unless somehow those two things can burn out of control - there is nothing that can happen in terms of a fire. Even if the museum pieces somehow started on fire - they could easily be put out by the sprinklers or they coudl have fire proof doors that shut while the fire was put out. it is really ridiulous.

That sucks! What actual reason (good or not) prompted them to close parts of the statue? (Why were they remodelling - just maintenance?)

If they are going to close part of it they should at least say why honestly.

You used to be able to walk among the stones at Stonehenge, but now you can't because authorities were worried the stones would become damaged over time. That seems like a legitimate reason, you can see how the ground has been worn down over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    That sucks! What actual reason (good or not) prompted them to close parts of the statue? (Why were they remodelling - just maintenance?)
    No it was because of 9/11. Which was understandable - the thing that upsets me now is that now they that they have put in the additional security measures that the statue itself is not opened.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

From the Base of the Statue of Liberty to the top and back down again may take at most 60 minutes, including some time for sightseeing.

I remember once during Columbus Day there was a 5-6 hour line for the Statue of Liberty. I did not stay in line that day , but I think you get the general idea.

When I did go, there was a 90 minute wait on line, plus 15-20 minutes sightseeing.

If they wanted, they probably could set up an airport style checkpoint to take care of security concerns.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Smile Liberty has left the building!

Well, it is a bit ironic that they would impose restrictions on lady liberty seeing the fact that she stands tall for freedom and yet, none is offered to us to visit her. I can understand that under the current conditions we may have to take certain rpecautions, but totally limiting the visit, is really ridiculous.
    My favorite place in the US is Atlantic City