Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite pizza on Seaside Boardwalk

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Favorite pizza on Seaside Boardwalk

I was just wondering - what are people's favorite pizza on Seaside boardwalk? I have gone to the Sawmill, Three Brothers, Marucas.

I just went to Marucas yesterday with my cousin. They don't put much cheese on the pizza really. It's okay. 3 Brothers is good - but they don't take credit cards. With the Sawmill - I HATE the remodeled building (look at the thread regarding my thoughts on the Sawmill )

Tourist

Cool Maruca's

Definitely Maruca's. I don't know what it is (the rotating pizza cooker?) but they have great sauce and found that they put just the right amount of cheese. The pie is always steaming hot, crispy, and thin. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by forthe_andrew
    Definitely Maruca's. I don't know what it is (the rotating pizza cooker?) but they have great sauce and found that they put just the right amount of cheese. The pie is always steaming hot, crispy, and thin. It's awesome.
    I just really wish the boardwalk pizza wasn't so skimpy on the cheese. I thkn I prefer marucas - but I'm going to have to experiment all over again this summer and test them out.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I was just wondering - what are people's favorite pizza on Seaside boardwalk? I have gone to the Sawmill, Three Brothers, Marucas.

I just went to Marucas yesterday with my cousin. They don't put much cheese on the pizza really. It's okay. 3 Brothers is good - but they don't take credit cards. With the Sawmill - I HATE the remodeled building (look at the thread regarding my thoughts on the Sawmill )
    I have not tried all of the pizza on the boardwalk, but I did like the pizza across from the Berkley Sweet Shop @ the Carosel (sp?) near the Royal Arcade. Though, I do not know if it still has the same owners as when I was younger.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Tourist

Hi,

Thought you might like some 'inside' information. I'm from Ireland but I worked in Maruca's waaaaaayy back in 1990 (so as for the best pizza on the boardwalk ... I'm biased ).

When we used to make the sauce for the pizzas either Donnie or Joe (whichever of the Maurca twins was there) had us leave the room while they added some 'special ingredient'. They were very serious about this and I never found out what it was.

One of these days I will have to get back to the shore and have me some more (with sausage on top - was my favorite). Had a great time there and in NJ, great people and great food.

Cheers,
    Red

Thanks for the information Red and glad you enjoyed your time in NJ. I take it you were one of the many exchange students/workers from across the ocean who work at the shore? It seems like a lot of the workers today come from Russia. I think there was a girl from the Ukraine who was working at 3-Brothers this year.

Now you have me wondering what the secret ingredient might be.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

I was indeed one of the many exchange students that come to NJ every year. In fact the students living in two apartments in my old apartment block (in Ireland) supplied all Maruca's employees - except for one 'token' Frenchman - for two years running (if not three). Donnie had an Irish girlfriend at the time too if I remember correctly.

By the by, the 'sequel' to my little tale is that I returned to Ireland, finished my degree, got a job in Dublin, and was working for about a year and a half. One evening I was leaving a very popular coffee shop on a very crowded pedestrian street in the heart of Dublin and standing in front of me was Donnie Maruca (with a pizza in his hand). 'Surprised' doesn't describe it! He's friends with Bon Jovi and they were playing a gig in Dublin... needless to say we went and had Guinness

Red

P.S. He still wouldn't tell me what the ingredient was...

Tourist

Default Global Maruca's

Thanks to all for the inside information about Maruca's. One of my best friend's father is good friends with one of the twins...not sure which. He says they are going to start franchising.

I hope you had a good time working at Seaside. My parents have had a little cottage in Midway Beach, Seaside Park since the early 80's and I spent summers working at Sal and Annie's Deli (now Dom's Deli). Although the wages were few, the memorable experiences (bad, good, and naughty ) were priceless.

I'm Hungarian-Irish and I often wonder if some of my distant cousins aren't working the wheels or dishing out the slices on the boards...

Thanks,
    Andy

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Pizza on the Seaside Heights Boardwalk is the best!

I'm so-o-o glad you started this thread! I have only been to one pizza place on the boardwalk, Three Brothers. Since I no longer live in New Jersey, I only get to go there when visiting my family in Toms River, every few years. I have never had the others, so I honestly cannot say how they rate. If either of them is better than Three Brothers, then that is REALLY an accomplishment!

Considering just Three Brothers, I think it is the best I have had, in New Jersey, in the United States, and in the world! After leaving New Jersey, I lived in New York, Massachusetts, California, Texas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, and now Florida. I've had some good pizza in those places (and some really bad pizza), but none as good as Three Brothers.

When my wife and I went to Europe in 2001, we started in Portugal, then on to Spain, France, and Italy. I had terrible pizza in Lourdes, France, some pretty good pizza at a food court in a mall in Genoa, some very good pizza on the Via Veneto in Rome, but the best was on the Isle of Capri, just off Naples, where pizza was invented. While I was eating that pizza in Capri, my wife videotaped me, and I critiqued it. I said into the camera, that while this was the best I had in Italy, it still was not quite as good as Three Brothers in Seaside Heights!

Another interesting thing: In America, the closer you get to Seaside Heights, the more the pizza is like the pizza near Naples. In Europe, the closer you get to Naples, the more the pizza is like Seaside Heights!

I will be in NJ in late September and I will definitely be going to the boardwalk for a slice! Maybe I'll try Maruca's , just for comparison.

Just as an update, I went ot Marucas this season - I think they're pizza is tops now. They're actually franchising now - but still staying small. I know Maria Maruca, but that isn't why I picked them as tops this season. I just enjoyed their pizza better. What i should do is have a pizza contest and by both from marucas and from 3 brothers - someone can blindfold me and then I should decide that way.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

My favorite used to be the Sawmill. Growing up as a teen, it was the best deal 50 cents for a huge slice and glass of soda. Went up to a $1, not sure what it is these days. It just isn't the same since they remodeled it.

Default 3 Brothers a 10, Maruca's an 8

We went to Maruca's in October and I thought their crust was just about the best I have ever had. It had the marks of a true hand-formed crust and was nice and crisp.

I always get a plain cheese pizza the first time, because that is the best way to evaluate a pizza. It was there that they disappointed me. The cheese was not ony skimpy, but it didn't even taste like mozzarella. It tasted like a blend of mozzarella and other cheese, possibly white cheddar or muenster, etc.

They were better than anything you can get outside New Jersey, so you are still lucky to have them, but I have as yet to find a pizza I like better than 3 Brothers, not even in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Just as an update, I went ot Marucas this season - I think they're pizza is tops now. They're actually franchising now - but still staying small. I know Maria Maruca, but that isn't why I picked them as tops this season. I just enjoyed their pizza better. What i should do is have a pizza contest and by both from marucas and from 3 brothers - someone can blindfold me and then I should decide that way.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 01-31-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Default Price of pizza

I now feel old. When I was in high school (1962-66) a slice of cheese pizza was 15 cents and an entire large pie was $1.50!

Quote Originally Posted by Pstilton
    My favorite used to be the Sawmill. Growing up as a teen, it was the best deal 50 cents for a huge slice and glass of soda. Went up to a $1, not sure what it is these days. It just isn't the same since they remodeled it.

New Jerseyan

Default Having been born in Newark, lived in West Orange as

a kid, then lived in Point Pleasant Beach in my teens and early 20's, I used to go to Seaside a lot. I remember a place called Poor Pete's Pizza which had excellent pizza. The slices were big, the sauce was tasty, and just enough mozzerella. I don't know if they were the best or even if they're still around. But once you find something you like, you stick with it! Now I live 10 mins from Atlantic City and for some reason I can't find pizza here that is as good.It's okay, but just not the same!! How about doing a spot on the Best Subs in NJ. I like Jersey Mikes and Poor Boys. Here in AC, Sack'os and AC Subs are pretty good. I thought White House Subs were overrated and too expensive. How about it Sub Lovers? Sorry, but, Hoagie is a Philly word, not New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    How about doing a spot on the Best Subs in NJ. I like Jersey Mikes and Poor Boys. Here in AC, Sack'os and AC Subs are pretty good. I thought White House Subs were overrated and too expensive. How about it Sub Lovers? Sorry, but, Hoagie is a Philly word, not New Jersey.
    Hey - all you have to do is just start a thread called "Best Subs in New Jersey". Since I don't like sandwiches - hence subs - I really don't have much to say on the matter, that's why I don't have one discussing subs. Pizza on the other hand...

New Jersey Proud!

Go north of Seaside Hieghts to normandy beach and look for Mario`s on Route 35 north you will not be disappointed .

Another place that will be open soon just outside my condo complex where Mugsy`s Sports bar was will be a new place caled Boston`s Gourmet Pizza the web site makes me drool.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10 View Post
    a kid, then lived in Point Pleasant Beach in my teens and early 20's, I used to go to Seaside a lot. I remember a place called Poor Pete's Pizza which had excellent pizza. The slices were big, the sauce was tasty, and just enough mozzerella. I don't know if they were the best or even if they're still around. But once you find something you like, you stick with it! Now I live 10 mins from Atlantic City and for some reason I can't find pizza here that is as good.It's okay, but just not the same!! How about doing a spot on the Best Subs in NJ. I like Jersey Mikes and Poor Boys. Here in AC, Sack'os and AC Subs are pretty good. I thought White House Subs were overrated and too expensive. How about it Sub Lovers? Sorry, but, Hoagie is a Philly word, not New Jersey.
    People in many parts of the United States call sandwiches on Italian or French bread subs, but only people in Northeastern New Jersey and Southwestern New York call them heroes. Therefore, to me, "hero" is more uniquely a New Jersey term. But since I'e moved around the country a lot, I now call them subs, too, except when I'm back where the natives call them heroes. When I lived in Massachusetts, however, I refused to call them "Grinders"!

I've been to Jersey Mike's in Florida and they are very good, but the rolls are still not like Bergen County, Hudson County, and Manhattan. Those rolls are more like what you get in France and Italy, very crusty. You really have to bite down hard on them to get through the crust. Once you get outside the area where they are called heroes, the crusts seem to get softer, almost like Wonder rolls. The Bergen-Hudson-Manhattan "hard rolls" also seem to lose their hard texture in other areas, where they are called bulkie rolls in Boston, and Kaiser rolls in many places. Again, they should really be hard, not flexible, if properly made, and should be kept only in paper bags, which breathe. Plastic bags trap moisture and ruin the crust.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 02-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.

New Jerseyan

Default easy to answer!

That is easy to answer, definitely marucas, though i wish that they will make the base a little bit crispier. It is so irritating to have the pizza toppings fall into your lap just as you are about to take a bite. But other than that, Marucas is really good.

New Jerseyan

Cool Pizza ahoy!

Nice thread about time someone started one [though I am sorry that I have not seen the one on sawmill]. On best place to go for a slice of heaven, definitely marcus [ I am not on thier ad team]. Their pizzas are quite good and yes, it is time that they stopped being so skimpy on the cheese, after all it is the one main reason that most of us love pizzas. A real escuse to lump up all the cheese. Perhaps someone from the Marcus will read this thread and start putting more layers on their pizza's. Anyway, reg the cost, it is not all that high considering what some of the other places charge.