Thread: 2006 Mid-Term Elections and Beyond...

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default 2006 Mid-Term Elections and Beyond...

Okay - I have refrained from discussing national issues on AboutNewJersey.com. I have no problems discussing political issues on the site when it comes to New Jersey, but I have felt it may be wrong for me discuss national issues. Now don't get me wrong - I am just as passionate on national elections as I am about New Jersey politics, I am also passionate about international politics and elections and keep up with international affairs. I was up until 3:00am watching the returns come in.

Now the question is - what will a democratically controlled House and most likely Senate mean for the US? What are people's thoughts on things such as minimum wage hikes?

Also a big quesiton I have is - do you think Americans really understand the workings of government? For instance, no matter what people may think - congress has a limited role on international affairs. That is the role of the president, just like the president has limited power when it comes to domestic affairs, which primarily lies with Congress.

Finally - what do people see happening in 2008? If for instance, nothing changes with Iraq, or we don't pull out immediately, do you think there will be a backlash against the democrats? There was much made in the democratic political commercials that things would change with Iraq if they are in power. I do not think they will make many changes, nor do they really have the power to make any changes. Also in 2008, who do you see being potential presidential candidates. I have felt for sometime that Cheney will step down and Bush will make Condoleeza Rice Vice President and that ultimately she will run. Hillary is definitely going to run in my opinion.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    . . . Hillary is definitely going to run in my opinion.
    The only place I wish Hillary and Bill would run is into the sunset and never return to politics. (8 years was enough {14 yrs and counting for NY, although maybe they deserve what they get for voting her in })

Now the question is - what will a democratically controlled House and most likely Senate mean for the US? What are people's thoughts on things such as minimum wage hikes?
    A continuation of spending more money than we are making. (A shame when you realize the US gov't takes in over 1 trillion dollars per year)

Minimum wage is a mixed bag for me.

I do think that people need to have a living wage to be able to afford basic necessities, {Home, clothing, heating, food, and transportation to and from work} but I am not sure if mandating a minimum wage will accomplish the goal of giving everyone a living wage. It seams, to me, that when the minimum wage goes up, the cost of living goes up as well.

The best soln. seems to make sure you get the proper education/skills so you can find yourself in a job/career that pays well enough for you to have a living wage. If you do not have the proper education/skills try to look for ways to improve your situation.

{Unfortunately this is easier said than done. It is also easier if you have (people/organizations) that (can/are able) to assist you while you improve yourself.

Also a big quesiton I have is - do you think Americans really understand the workings of government? For instance, no matter what people may think - congress has a limited role on international affairs. That is the role of the president, just like the president has limited power when it comes to domestic affairs, which primarily lies with Congress.
    I doubt that enough people understand how government works.

I think that congress can have a larger role on international affairs than your comment seems to imply. Since congress controls the spending, they can and sometimes do kill projects/activities due to lack of funding.

Also in 2008, who do you see being potential presidential candidates. I have felt for sometime that Cheney will step down and Bush will make Condoleeza Rice Vice President and that ultimately she will run.
    I am not sure how C. Rice would be if she ran and became president. I would rather see her than Hillary though.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together