Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jersey Devil - first post of the board

The book is one of my best selling Items at my store at the airport. there is now a 2nd Volume also. Mark and Mark also have a show on the history channel calle Weird USA
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile wierd NJ

Hi Dave, I would like to get a hold of that Wierd NJ book. Can I send for it from your store? I get emails from that website and it sounds facinating. We have a Borders here so I will look there first. I wonder how true the legends are. lol. Marianita

Yes you can the books are 19.95 and i can give you my 25% discount
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Jersey Devil

Thankyou Dave. Please provide address and price. That is so nice of you. Marianita

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Today is the third anniversary of AboutNewJersey.com's messageboard. I figured I would revise this thread, even though lately it's been active.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default first post of the board

Hi Jersey Devil, Happy 3rd anniversary. This is a wonderful board and you have done a great job with it. I found the board quite by accident while looking for Jersey topics. I have really enjoyed being a part of the group here. Marianita

Tourist

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    This is the first post of the board and I felt it appropriate to start the board off with an explanation of my screen name and the Jersey Devil.

I have always been interested in the Jersey Devil, having grown up on the outer edge of the Pine Barrens in Bricktown. On the bus we used to spend the ride home telling ghost stories about the legend.

As the story goes - the Jersey Devil was the 13th child of Mrs Leeds of what is now Leeds Point - just north of Atlantic City. When Mrs Leeds was giving birth she screamed that she wished the child was a devil. She then gave brith to a hideous creature which proceeded to fly out the window and has haunted New Jersey ever since. The Jersey Devil is rumored to live in the million+ acres of area known as the Pine Barrens. Anyone who has gone through the Pine Barrens, especially at night, can see why such a legend would develop.

For a more in depth discription of the Jersey devil - until I get that information on my own site up anyway - go to Leut's Jersey Devil Hunter's Homepage

If you have any questions, comments or have had experiences or stories about the Jersey Devil you wish to post about - feel free to do so.
    Hi Im James, just wanted to intro..

We have a book in the store done by the guys that do Weird NJ about the Jersey Devil
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Default When I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita View Post
    I would enjoy reading about the Jersey devil. When you went looking for him did you ever see or feel anything? Did you sense a presence? What would you have done if you had actually see it? Apparently the legend goes on and people continue to be facinated by the jersey devil. I will see about getting the book. Thankyou. Marianita
    The stories have a lot of variations mine being MaMA Leeds was a witch while giving birth offered her 12th child Jimmy Leeds being born deformed to the devil at which time its sprouted wings and flew out the window
    The place Leeds Point NJ I went there in search of most of the locals won't talk to much about it actually I was surprised to find a lot of the residents with the name Leeds I did find way off the beaten path under mounds of overgrown weeds a very old wood stove in an open patch all by itself what looked like could have been a shanty of some sort a long time ago I got a little chill (SPOOKY) for a moment but nothing other then that.

I have camped in Wharton Track many times but nothing to answer your question what would i have done I probably would have tried to communicate in some way I believe it would be more scared of me them me of it

Check Wikipedia JD has been in many movies tv shows books etc.

NEW JERSEY we are proud of our Devil

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey Devil

It sounds as if a legend has been created and it just kept going. I am sure many people visit that spot in Leeds hoping to see something. The residents of Leeds probably are used to the legend and think nothing of it or are very careful. I think I would feel a chill too just knowing what may have happened there.
    It is interesting about the stove though. Did you happen to find out why it was there and some history about it? It had to be there for a reason. Let us know if you inquired about it. Marianita