Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devil - first post of the board

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jersey Devil - first post of the board

This is the first post of the board and I felt it appropriate to start the board off with an explanation of my screen name and the Jersey Devil.

I have always been interested in the Jersey Devil, having grown up on the outer edge of the Pine Barrens in Bricktown. On the bus we used to spend the ride home telling ghost stories about the legend.

As the story goes - the Jersey Devil was the 13th child of Mrs Leeds of what is now Leeds Point - just north of Atlantic City. When Mrs Leeds was giving birth she screamed that she wished the child was a devil. She then gave brith to a hideous creature which proceeded to fly out the window and has haunted New Jersey ever since. The Jersey Devil is rumored to live in the million+ acres of area known as the Pine Barrens. Anyone who has gone through the Pine Barrens, especially at night, can see why such a legend would develop.

For a more in depth discription of the Jersey devil - until I get that information on my own site up anyway - go to Leut's Jersey Devil Hunter's Homepage

If you have any questions, comments or have had experiences or stories about the Jersey Devil you wish to post about - feel free to do so.

Recent Resident

That's a really interesting legend. When did it originate? And there are actually hunts that are carried out too! Ever been on one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lin
    That's a really interesting legend. When did it originate?
    It originated during colonial times, although the Indians also seem to have had the legend too.
    And there are actually hunts that are carried out too! Ever been on one of them?
    I have been in contact with the devil Hunters. I wanted to go on a hunt. I contacted them - but then nothing happened. I was going to go to a meeting anyway - just ended up not having any time.

Recent Resident

Oh, so it's based on the Indian version? Interesting.

I have to read about what the Hunters actually DO. I'm quite surprised that you've never been on one before, considering how interested you are in the [Jersey] Devil.

Oh, so it's based on the Indian version? Interesting.
    Well the indians had a legend of some creature living in the Pine Barrens, but I don't know how related it is to the Jersey Devil. The Jersey Devil was "born" in 1735.
    I have to read about what the Hunters actually DO. I'm quite surprised that you've never been on one before, considering how interested you are in the [Jersey] Devil.
    Yeah I know. But I do swear that the Jersey Devil came to my window at night when I was little though.

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Yeah I know. But I do swear that the Jersey Devil came to my window at night when I was little though.
    :shock: Do people around your area often have experiences like that?

Is there any other popular myth around NJ, or is it just the Jersey Devil?

:shock: Do people around your area often have experiences like that?
    There was the big spotting in the early 1900's. Tons of people saw him - including police officers.
    Is there any other popular myth around NJ, or is it just the Jersey Devil?
    There are quite a few legends. Ghost ships, ghosts, Blackbeard, Captain Kidd. A lot of pirate legends since pirates routinely used Long Beach Island as their hideout. The ghost ships because many ships ran aground on the NJ shoals.

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    There was the big spotting in the early 1900's. Tons of people saw him - including police officers.
    Even nowadays? It's not just NJ-fanatics like you, is it?

Thanks for answers. Very interesting.

Post #10. You better be true to your word, JD.

Even nowadays? It's not just NJ-fanatics like you, is it?
    Anyone who goes into the Pine Barrens can see why the Jersey Devil is such a big legend.
    Thanks for answers. Very interesting.
    No problem. Thanks for joining.
    Post #10. You better be true to your word, JD.
    You see - you are now no longer a "tourist" - you are a "recent resident" now.

Tourist

Default The Jersey Devil...

Hello everyone,

My name is Laura and I am the president of the Devil Hunters, an organization dedicated to the research and investigation of the Jersey Devil and its legend.

I just wanted to give you a little description of what we do, as it seems that we have been discussed here a little. We conduct research of all sorts - some on the internet, some through books and other forms of media, and my personal favorite, some real field work. Yes, we're the crazy people who head out into the woods at night in order to catch and document a glimpse of the Jersey Devil.

I also wanted to let you guys know that this creature, whatever it may be, is still active. I am constantly receiving sighting reports from witnesses all over New Jersey (and even in some other states). Our official website, will soon be featuring sightings as recent as February and March of this year!

I'll be stopping in here from time to time, I hope that we can get a good chat going about the creature! I look forward to hearing from you guys again soon.

Laura K. Leuter,
    Devil Hunters President
    Leut's Jersey Devil Page

Glad you came by. I'm sure that many people will be interested in hearing more about the Jersey Devil. I know my friend from Sweden is very interested in stories about him.

I hope you will also post in the other forums too. Starting a forum is always slow - but hopefully with word of mouth, interesting posts, and so forth - it will attract more people.

Lady ***** of the Forest

Since this "thing" was born in 1735... that means it would be about 269 years old. Don't you think that this would make it impossible to still be alive, even if it were a real and actual living thing?

Tourist

Default Could it be alive still?

Hey,

I know that the concept of a creature staying alive for over 200 years is basically unheard of... But on the other hand, my personal theory is that this might not be one thing, but a species that has been reproducing throughout the years. This theory would account for the longevity of the creature, and also would explain the variety in descriptions from the sightings (some say it was 4 feet, some say 6 feet, some say it was brown, others say black, etc.). I've even received reports where people have seen more than one of these "creatures" out there. I think that it's possible that there have been many generations of Jersey Devils throughout the years, which is why the stories start in the 1700's and continue up until this very year. Of course, this is all in theory and I don't have sufficient evidence at this time to prove the theory... but that's my thought on it. Unfortunately, there's just so much we don't know yet. But have faith, we're trying to figure it all out and maybe one day we'll have some real answers...

Laura K. Leuter,
    Devil Hunters President

Lady ***** of the Forest

What are the chances that ... a species of mammal, which
    • has never been caught,
    • never been discovered by science,
    • no remains ever been found,
    • and lives in a wooded area within one of the most densely populated states,

...actually exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Plum
    What are the chances that ... a species of mammal, which
    • has never been caught,
    • never been discovered by science,
    • no remains ever been found,
    • and lives in a wooded area within one of the most densely populated states,

...actually exists?
    There are new species found all the time. As for the most densly populated state - the area that it lives in is very remote and is the Pine BARRENS. It's a million+ acres.

Recent Resident

Default Jersey Devil

That is an interesting legend. Is there a book about it? I love reading stuff like that.

I've never been to New Jersey, but I have walked through forests alone at night, and they can be creepy sometimes. (I'm thinking specifically of when someone told me after there was a cougar in the area. That explains that hair-raising feeling.)

This is a great board JD. This legend is a great way to kick it off.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Jersey Devil

Has anyone ever actually seen such a creature? How did the legend start? I would think that if a creature such as that ever existed , I agree with the other poster that the creature either reproduced or died off. There are other places in NJ that are reported to be haunted. I enjoy discussing the Jersey Devil but would not go off looking for it, just incase there is one. lol. It is always facinating talking about a ghost. Keep in mind that New Jersey has alot of older victorian style homes and legends abound. I wonder if way back a couple of hundred years ago, someone really did see something. The legend had to start somehow. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Has anyone ever actually seen such a creature? How did the legend start? I would think that if a creature such as that ever existed , I agree with the other poster that the creature either reproduced or died off. There are other places in NJ that are reported to be haunted. I enjoy discussing the Jersey Devil but would not go off looking for it, just incase there is one. lol. It is always facinating talking about a ghost. Keep in mind that New Jersey has alot of older victorian style homes and legends abound. I wonder if way back a couple of hundred years ago, someone really did see something. The legend had to start somehow. Marianita
    There is a huge history to the Jersey Devil. I of course exlained how the legend goes, but there are several ways the legend could have come about. One that the Devil Hunters feel is the most probable is that Mrs Leeds gave birth to a deformed son.

I grew up on the edges of the Pine Barrens - Bricktown and I used to go into the woods all the time, by myself or with friends, and go hunting for the Jersey Devil. He has always been a part of my life and is therefore why I am known on here as "Jersey Devil"

There are a number of books you might be interested in if you are wondering about the ghost lore of NJ. Most people don't know that Blackbeard used to hang out on Long Beach Island and it has been felt that he buried some of his treasure there (although with the constant changing of the island, it's most likely out at sea now).
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Jersey Devil

I would enjoy reading about the Jersey devil. When you went looking for him did you ever see or feel anything? Did you sense a presence? What would you have done if you had actually see it? Apparently the legend goes on and people continue to be facinated by the jersey devil. I will see about getting the book. Thankyou. Marianita

Recent Resident

The legend of the Jersey Devil goes by many names, it seems. I first heard about it in the early 70s, told as a campfire ghost story by our Scoutmaster... he called it the "Glendola Demon".

Hey, has anyone read that book (or the magazine) "Weird NJ" by Mark Scheurman and Mark Moran? I picked it up at Border's, when I was visiting Morris County with my girlfriend last weekend. The Devil isn't the only strange legend haunting my home state.