Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rutgers Football

New Jerseyan

If anyone has seen the Star Ledger ad for the book they have put out about this past season I suggest getting it. 160 pages and covers the entire season from the North Carolina game through the bowl game. Alot of the pictures in the book were not published during the season. It is now in its second printing and is available only to New Jersey residents. Got mine as a Christmas present. Also R.U. signed its best class of recruits in its history this week. It looks like another great season is ahead of us.
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 02-10-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Well tonight is the first game of the Rutgers season - so far it looks good! 28- 0 as I'm writing this. So is anyone going to any of the games this year? I know season tickets are hard to come by now - but that is what happens when a team starts winning.

Let's Go RUTGERS!!!

BTW - you can order the Rutgers Football book that comes out in November at the AboutNewJersey.com Online Bookstore at a 20% discount. AboutNewJersey.com and Rutgers University Press recently partnered and we will be carrying New Jersey related books from their catalog. So order today!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I renewed my season tickets from last season and was also able to add two seats for a total of four. I was there last night and will be there for all games this year! I even got a new R.U. football jersey from my wife for this season because my old jersey was autographed by Brian Leonard, then I bought a Texas bowl patch and sewed that on it, then I framed the jersey and now it is hanging on the wall over my desk. Next up is Navy on Friday night, 8:00 pm on ESPN. It should be another enjoyable season. Remember wear RED on Fridays. GO R.U.

Recent Resident

I will be attending my first RU game of the season when they take on the Norfolk State Spartans.

WEAR RED!!!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bayshore Brawlers
    I will be attending my first RU game of the season when they take on the Norfolk State Spartans.

WEAR RED!!!
    I really have to get up to a game this year. Of course it never seems like I have any time.

If anyone is wondering what I am trying to do for New Jersey - this article about the attitude toward Rutgers shows what I'm trying to do.
    ROOTING FOR RUTGERS
    Fans don red, hope for repeat season while supporting Rutgers at opener against Buffalo.
    By RICK MALWITZ
    Staff Writer

PISCATAWAY -- Encore! Encore! Encore!

What some Rutgers football fans called for when the red team took the field Thursday night against Buffalo is simply more of the same.

"They don't even have to improve on last year," said Bill Rella, a senior from Ramsey, looking back to last year's 11-2 record, and the first bowl victory in school history.

Others had something more in mind, including students wearing red T-shirts with the optimistic message: "12-0. Only Three Months To Go."

But one thing Rutgers fans could agree on was how it was a summer to remember, when wearing anything red and Rutgers was a conversation starter.

Wearing her red Rutgers shirt, said Jessica Stephens, a junior from Point Pleasant Beach, meant strangers saying with envy, "Oh, my God, you go to Rutgers."

Retired Union County Superior Court Judge Lawrence Weiss said he had a lobster dinner in Cape Cod interrupted when someone noticed the "R" on his hat, and struck up a conversation.

When someone noticed Nick Burzichelli, a 1984 graduate, wearing a Rutgers golf shirt on the Atlantic City boardwalk, a Rutgers' cheer broke out.

This was the summer Warren and Ruth Seibert's family, of Belvidere, became a Rutgers' family. Their oldest son Caleb, 14, began playing youth football, and already has a broken arm to show for it.

"It was time for him to pick a team to root for, and Rutgers is it," explained his father, who was attending his first Rutgers game, after having ignored the team when he was attending New Brunswick Seminary.

Bill Loughney, a junior from Piscataway, recalled how when he was a kid in town he could walk into Rutgers Stadium without a ticket.

"It was typical New Jersey apathetic," he said. "Now, it's great to talk Rutgers to my college friends," Loughney said.

Last night, he wore a hard hat and construction vest, as a member of the Road Crew -- a group of students that makes its presence known at home and away games. Loughney and Michael Shafai, a junior from Freehold, spent the summer text-messaging each other with a countdown to kickoff, beginning when there were 200 days until last night's season opener.

Chris Lugo of Edison, a 1998 graduate, recalled how Rutgers was part of the college football conversation when he attended here. "What you heard back then was, "Oh, my God, I can't believe we lost that bad to Virginia Tech."

In Lugo's senior year Rutgers opened the season with a 59-19 loss to Virginia Tech, and finished the season without a win in 11 games. Last year Rutgers became the feel-good story of the fall, finishing 11-2, and winning the Texas Bowl.

This season began with unprecedented expectations, with Rutgers ranked No. 16 in the USA Today and Associated Press preseason polls. Sports Illustrated made Rutgers part of the Rose Bowl conversation.

It was something Lugo insists he always thought possible. "In the largest media market of the world -- the geography, the size of the school -- I thought it would happen and I'm glad it's finally here," he said, tailgating in the yellow lot.

Tailgating partner Bob Graser of Iselin, a 1991 Rutgers graduate, recalled attending graduate school at the University of Miami, when that school was on top of the college football world.

"It's nice to see the anticipation here," said Glaser, who consumed as much news about Rutgers football that the modern media could deliver this summer in newspapers, the Internet and on blogs.

One of the benefits of the positive news about the football team, Glaser said, has been a spillover effect.

"You're reading more stories about Rutgers' academics. The (football) program's given much energy to the school," he said.

Glaser's college roommate Jeff Pasternak had the good fortune of visiting New Jersey this week from Rochester, Minn, where he works at the Mayo Clinic, and Glaser was able to secure him a ticket.

What the Rutgers football team did, Pasternak said, was raise the profile of his alma mater like nothing before.

"You're quite proud to say you're a Rutgers graduate," Pasternak said.

#

Rick Malwitz can be reached at (732) 565-7291 or rmalwitz@thnt.com.
    It's about time New Jersey showed some pride in itself. Rutgers is something we can rally around right now, but we should show more pride in our state as a whole.

BTW - I went into Champs last week and they are carrying more Rutgers items. They have a really nice sweatshirt I want.

I went into Modells about a month ago and they had their table top mannequin wearing a Louisville shirt - Rutgers shirts were on the table - so I took a Rutgers shirt and laid it over the Louisville shirt. My cousin couldn't believe I did that. This is the type of thing you would never see in other states. They would make sure they advertised their home state team!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

RUTGERS is back. Long game Thursday night but it was worth staying up for. A win against West virginia next week and we are looking pretty for a BCS bowl shot. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

I wonder how much my 4 tickets for the R.U. - W.V.U. game next Sat. could be sold for now after the big win over South Florida. On the other hand my wife and I will be using 2 of them. GO RUTGERS!

Anywhere from 150-1250 a piece on stubhub.com check it out
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR