Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Football

Recent Resident

Go RU ! Despite the loss last week, scarlet fever on campus has never been higher. I've been working on the Piscataway campus for 4 years now and I've never experienced anything like this Fall season. It's great !

Now if only the national media will stop making like our campus is in mid-town Manhattan ! lol

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    Go RU ! Despite the loss last week, scarlet fever on campus has never been higher. I've been working on the Piscataway campus for 4 years now and I've never experienced anything like this Fall season. It's great !

Now if only the national media will stop making like our campus is in mid-town Manhattan ! lol
    Don't you know by now that New Yorkers and the media are geographically challenged? Must have something to do with their sucky school system across the river, they can't even tell where their own state line is.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Glad to see you back JD hope you are feeling better. Finnally got my RUTGERS product in the store the day before Thanksgiving. TEEs Hoodies and hats. The Tees are almost sold out and they have already placed a reorder. It is amazing how many people are coming thru the airport with RUTGERS on as for the past 4 years i hardly saw any one. Lets hope Schimano stays and does not go back to Miami. can you say ORANGE BOWL for Rutgers.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

If R.U. wins Sat. night they may also end up in the Rose or Sugar bowl. If they lose they will be in the Texas bowl. R.U. shirts, hats, etc. are a hot item now, I hope it keeps up. Glad to see you are doing well selling R.U. stuff at your store Dave. R.U. season tickets went on sale yesterday for next season to new season ticket holders and they sold 3,500 setting a new single day record for new sales. The prices are $160.00-$240.00 for 8 home games. The place should be rocking next season also. Next up West Virgina Sat. night 7:45 on ESPN. Go R.U.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rutgers and West Virginia are going to overtime. (23-23)

Go Rutgers.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Sadly Rutgers lost to WVU 41 - 39. But Rutgers has nothing to be ashamed of. It went into the 3rd overtime. It was a great game and all New Jerseyans should be proud of the Rutgers team!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Sadly Rutgers lost to WVU 41 - 39. But Rutgers has nothing to be ashamed of. It went into the 3rd overtime. It was a great game and all New Jerseyans should be proud of the Rutgers team!
    I agree. Rutgers played well and shoud be pleased with their efforts this season. It would have been better if Rutgers won, but losing in Triple OT is not bad.

Unfortunately, when games go into OT, someone has to lose. (This time it was Rutgers)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Recent Resident

Definitely a good game by RU. Great season. Hopefully the foundation has been set, and we'll be having seasons like this one for many years to come. Hopefully our Jersey Boy Schiano doesn't fly down to Florida for the Miami job, cause he has a chance to build a legacy and a name for himself here at home.

Bring on the Texas Bowl !

Schiano is staying just saw on Nj network News and on ESPN Next Up Kansas State. It was said that a local station will pick up the Texas Bowl so everyone in Jersey will be able to see it.

Rutgers coach says he's staying, not interested in Miami

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer
    December 4, 2006

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- After weeks of speculation about his future, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano decided to stay at home.

Amid talk he might return to Miami to take over the troubled program, Schiano told Hurricanes athletic director Paul Dee on Monday to take his name off a list of coaching candidates.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Rutgers is where I am going to be and Rutgers is where I want to be. I am not a candidate for that job and I won't be a candidate for that job," Schiano said.

Schiano, a New Jersey native, who was Miami's defensive coordinator in 1999 and 2000. Miami coach Larry Coker was fired after going 6-6 in the regular season.

Schiano has orchestrated No. 16 Rutgers' rise from one of the nation's lowliest programs in the past six seasons, and led the team to its first bowl appearance in 27 years in 2005.

At 10-2 (5-2 Big East) this season after winning their first nine games, the Scarlet Knights are headed to a Texas Bowl matchup against Kansas State. Rutgers narrowly missed the Bowl Championship Series and a likely Orange Bowl appearance by losing Saturday night in triple overtime at West Virginia.

As Rutgers continued to win this season and Coker's position became more tenuous, speculation grew that Schiano was one of the top candidates, perhaps even No. 1, for the Hurricanes job.

Schiano never wavered from the message that he was happy at Rutgers and looking forward to the program's continued growth -- yet he never explicitly said he would stay at the school.

That only fueled more rumors, which persisted through the West Virginia game and into Monday.

"People kept asking if it was a distraction for the players during the season, but I knew once Saturday came that we needed to address it and that's exactly what happened," Schiano said.

Schiano said he had not signed a new contract with Rutgers, but said his agent is in discussions with Rutgers officials. He made $191,000 last year before athletic director Robert Mulcahy gave him a seven-year extension that will max out at $350,000 by 2012.

The extension raised Schiano's annual income from private sources from $325,000 to $625,000. With incentives, his total compensation is in the $1 million range.

Coker, meanwhile, had three seasons left on a contract that paid him about $2 million annually.

Schiano had previously hinted that money issues were secondary to Rutgers committing to make the upgrades necessary to field a top-10 caliber team.

At the top of his current wish list is an expansion of 41,500-seat Rutgers Stadium. Several home games were sellouts this season, including the final two games in which temporary bleachers added 2,000 seats to the south end zone. Season ticket sales have already increased by 5,000 for next season, Schiano said Monday.

He added that school officials "are all on the same page with what we want to build here."

"We just need to keep moving forward. There are people committed at Rutgers to taking it to the level we're talking about. That's what's important to me," he said.

With the 40-year-old Schiano now considered a hot commodity in coaching circles, Miami doesn't figure to be the last school to come calling. Already there are whispers that Schiano has his eye on replacing Joe Paterno at Penn State, another program where he was an assistant.

For now, Schiano's enthusiasm for his current job remains boundless.

"We're just scratching the surface here at Rutgers," Schiano said. "The sky's the limit. We're going to do great things here. We haven't done it yet. The seniors have laid the foundation for really, really big things. We've recruited really great young guys in this program and this is home."

Updated on Monday, Dec 4, 2006 5:37 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Sponsor Results
    Rutgers University Scarlet Knights Shop
    Great gifts for Rutgers Scarlet Knights fans; men, women and kids.
    www.footballfanatics.com
    Last edited by davegering; 12-04-2006 at 06:29 PM.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Recent Resident

That's great to hear, I give him a ton of credit, most would take more money and run.

Default What is a Rutgers Fan to do.

We still get no respect. We need to find out who we can write. I will probably try to find a spot to watch the game. I have Comcast but not the digital package and I dont want the digital package.

Rutgers scrambling to solve Texas Bowl TV dilemma

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer
    December 6, 2006

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Rutgers football fans hoping to watch their team in the Texas Bowl later this month may be better off going to Manhattan -- the one in Kansas, that is.

The hometown of bowl opponent Kansas State is likely to have better coverage since the NFL Network, which has exclusive rights to televise the game, is not carried on two cable companies that serve more than 1 million of New Jersey's 2.5 million cable subscribers, not to mention most of New York City.

ADVERTISEMENT

With No. 16 Rutgers suddenly at the flashpoint of the dispute between the NFL Network and cable operators Time Warner and Cablevision, New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg sent a letter to the NFL on Wednesday urging the league to allow the Dec. 28 game to be shown on local television.

"Rutgers fans and the people of New Jersey do not deserve to be punished or used as a bargaining chip in that dispute," Lautenberg wrote.

Through spokesman Seth Palansky, the NFL Network said a solution will depend on an agreement between the network and the cable providers.

"As the senator recognizes, we have repeatedly offered to make not only this Rutgers game, but all NFL Network programming available broadly throughout New Jersey," Palansky said. "We regret that Time Warner and Cablevision have not yet agreed to carry NFL Network, but we will continue to work as hard as we can to resolve this commercial dispute as soon as possible."

That isn't likely to happen in the next three weeks. According to Time Warner cable spokesman Mark Harrad, the NFL Network wants cable providers to offer it as part of a basic cable package rather than as a premium service, an idea he said would force Time Warner to raise rates for all subscribers to cover the network's $140 million price tag.

"The NFL Network is asking for a price that would make it one of the top five networks in terms of audience," Harrad said, comparing it to networks such as Disney, ESPN and TNT. "But they're not a network that has shown broad ratings or broad appeal. That doesn't mean we don't want to offer it, because there are definitely customers who will want to pay more to get the NFL Network."

In his letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Network President Steve Bornstein, Lautenberg asked the league to apply the same policy for the Texas Bowl that it uses for its eight NFL telecasts this season. Those games are also broadcast locally by network affiliates.

Officials from Rutgers and the Big East are searching for a way that a local broadcaster such as MSG Network or Secaucus-based WOR Channel 9 could show the game.

That would require changing the NFL's broadcast agreement with the Texas Bowl, and Palansky said the league has no plans to alter that agreement.

Barring that, Rutgers fans could be forced to find bars or restaurants that have satellite feeds, since the NFL Network is carried on DirecTV and the Dish Network.

Comcast, the largest cable company in the country, carries the NFL Network on its digital service that is used by about 7 million of its 24 million subscribers. Comcast is the largest cable provider in New Jersey with about 1.3 million subscribers.

Oddly, Rutgers' men's basketball game against North Carolina will be broadcast on ESPN2 at the same time as the bowl game.

A notice on the Texas Bowl Web site didn't offer much hope for New Jerseyans, though it did suggest a call to action.

"NFL Network is the exclusive broadcaster of the Texas Bowl," it read. "The Texas Bowl can only be seen on NFL Network. If you don't have NFL Network, you won't get the Texas Bowl. Call your local cable provider and ask for NFL Network now."
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Recent Resident

Weak. I don't have cable, so I'm screwed either way. But it's my own fault, if you want to watch sports these days you have to buy cable or get a dish.

Miami is also trying to save face on the whole Schiano thing. They're saying he asked for 3 things before saying no:

1) Money
    2) For Miami to lower their academic standards for players (LOL What, so anyone off the street can get in ???)
    3) Improved athletic facilities

Sounds to me like a bunch of spin. How can he pick Rutgers over our vaunted program ?

I also think those Schiano to Penn State rumors are bunk. Joe Pa ain't going no where, and why would he go to Penn if he has a history with Miami and declined them ?

Rutgers product is selling like crazy. Sold out of my first shipment of t-shirts and got restocked on friday. We also have Kids and infant sizes along with hats and Hoodies. Rutgers fevor is alive and well at Newark Airport. GO KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Hopefully Rutgers fevor will spread even more leading up to the bowl game. I for one feel good about the game and think R.U. will earn it first of many bowl victorys under Graig Schiano. I have alot of faith in this coach and feel he will be around for a long time. I also hope some of his Jersey pride rubs off on some people. What he has done has been great for the state!
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

We still get no respect. We need to find out who we can write. I will probably try to find a spot to watch the game. I have Comcast but not the digital package and I dont want the digital package.

Rutgers scrambling to solve Texas Bowl TV dilemma
    Problem solved. (For now.) While I do like NFL network, If I had a choice, I would rather not have the NFL Network, If it would prevent a rise in my Satellite (or cable) Bill. (I would probably prefer to only have & pay for about 12-15 channels [that I watch], instead of 80-120 channels of junk.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/sp...=1&oref=slogin
    December 13, 2006
    College Football Roundup
    Rutgers Is in the Center of a Cable Tug of War
    By RICHARD SANDOMIR

The NFL Network has offered Time Warner and Cablevision an opportunity for their New York-New Jersey subscribers to see Rutgers play Kansas State in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 if they accept the network’s weeklong free preview.

Yesterday, Time Warner and Cablevision — with about 4.5 million customers in the local market — did not show enthusiasm for the offer. Cablevision’s response showed that it did not want to give the channel much exposure.

Cablevision said it would carry only the pregame programming before the Texas Bowl, the game and any postgame coverage, not the full week from Dec. 24 to Dec. 30. It would be available to Cablevision’s Family Cable customers on Channel 14.

In doing so, Cablevision would eliminate the NFL Network’s hope of showing the breadth of its programming to customers who had not seen it and might demand it from Time Warner and Cablevision.

Maureen Huff, a Time Warner spokeswoman, said, “We just received the proposal and are looking at it.” She declined to say whether Time Warner was considering the same limited response as Cablevision.

League spokesmen refused to comment on whether Cablevision’s response violated the terms of the weeklong offer. “We will review their full response,” said Joe Browne, a spokesman.

Time Warner and Cablevision have refused to carry the NFL Network, at a monthly subscriber fee of 70 cents, on a broadly available tier like expanded basic.

The free preview, a common marketing tool in cable, especially for movie channels, was offered by Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the National Football League, during a telephone conversation yesterday with Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, Democrat of New Jersey. The league has received several hundred phone calls from fans who want to see the Rutgers-Kansas State bowl game.

Lautenberg has been lobbying the league to broaden the coverage of the Texas Bowl ever since it appeared possible that Rutgers would play in it. “The bottom line is that people in New Jersey need to be able to watch Rutgers play, and now we have a way to do that,” Lautenberg said in a statement.

The league chose to provide the free preview rather than license the game to local broadcast stations in the New York-New Jersey or Manhattan, Kan., areas, or stream it to broadband Internet users on NFL.com.

ANOTHER HONOR FOR SCHIANO Rutgers Coach Greg Schiano was named the Walter Camp Football Foundation 2006 Coach of the Year yesterday. The Scarlet Knights (10-2) reached 10 victories for only the second time in the team’s 137-year history. Rutgers also earned its first national top-10 ranking.

Schiano is the second Rutgers coach and the first Big East Conference coach since 1999 to earn the honor.

He has been coach for six years and also serves as defensive coordinator. The Scarlet Knights rank seventh nationally in scoring defense (14.7 points allowed a game) and ninth in total defense (259.7 yards allowed a game.)

Schiano has taken Rutgers to consecutive bowl berths and led the team to a 17-7 record the last two seasons. He was recently recognized as the 2006 Big East coach of the year and the Home Depot national coach of the year.

The Walter Camp recipient is voted by the nation’s 119 Division I-A coaches and sports information directors.

Schiano; Ohio State’s Troy Smith, who was named player of the year; and the members of the 2006 Walter Camp All-American team will be honored Jan. 13 at a dinner at the Yale University Commons in New Haven. (AP)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Recent Resident

Good for Cablevision subscribers, hopefully the NFL network doesn't cram the entire week down their throats as well. Cablevision wants the NFL Sunday Ticket (exclusive to DirectTV), which is why they are balking on the rather paltry NFL network, in terms of actual live football games.

Lautenberg wanted to get the Rutgers bowl game on broadcast TV, but doesn't look like he was able to get past the big money cable companies. At least he got the NFL network to provide it to those companies that currently are not carrying the channel.

And high five to Schiano for getting the Coach of the Year award !!! GO RU !!!

Good way to end the season with Our first Bowl win to bad We are Not playing tommorow but that will be next Year. This should set us up well for the pre season polls next year and a chance to get to a bigger bowl. All in all a great season for the KNIGHTS.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Talking

Good way to end the season with Our first Bowl win to bad We are Not playing tommorow but that will be next Year. This should set us up well for the pre season polls next year and a chance to get to a bigger bowl. All in all a great season for the KNIGHTS.
    It was a good knight to be had by all except for the team from Kansas.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Recent Resident

Yeah, other than the returned kickoff and 2 missed FGs, RU had one of the most dominating performances so far in the bowl season. It was also good to see the other Big East teams like Louisville, West Virginia, and South Florida bring home wins to strengthen the conference nationally. Can't wait for next year already. Rice for Heisman !