Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Football

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    Rutgers continues to win . Yesterdays homecomeing crowd which was the 5th largest in stadium history saw a 24-7 R.U. victory over Ohio. R.U. now stands a 3-0 and has a home game this coming Sat. against Howard at 2:00 leaving plenty of time to soak up the great college atmosphere while tailgaiting. Dont forget all you proud Jerseyans help the new tradition and wear a red Rutgers shirt on Friday.
    I'll be wearing my Rutgers sweatshirt at Niagara Falls next Friday. I'm going t be going up to Canada to visit a friend.

BTW - my cousin has been borrowing my Ruters shirt, right now he even has my sweatshirt, which he has worn while working at Subway. I'm going to get him a sweatshirt and I think we will be heading up for a game I hope.

I was going to post about the Rutgers win but I figured I'd leave you with the honors.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Rutgers is now rated 28 in the AP poll and 29 in the USA today poll we are getting closer. RU rules.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

R.U. is now #23. Let me repeat,R.U. is now #23, after crushing Howard yesterday 56-7 at home. R.U is now 4-0. Next up South Florida, on the road, this Friday night, 8:00 ESPN2. It is our 1st conference opponent this year. Rutgers right now is a 3.5 point favorite (my how things have changed). Remember wear red Friday.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Welili I wore my RU sweatshirt at Paramount's Canada Wonderland yesterday. I have pics, so I'lli post them here. We're heading doiwn to Niagara Falls again now and I'll be bringing my sweatshirt there too. So anyway - it's good to see Rutgers winning.

Posted from Six Nations Indian Reserve in Ontario Canada
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Rutgers continues to win, 5-0 now, best start since 1976. They beat South Florida 22-20 Friday night on the road in the conference opener for both teams. Next up Navy on Sat. October 14th, the second game of a 3 game road trip. Wear red! Go R.U.

Well NJPride - Rutgers is 6 and 0 now. I was looking at the stats just now and I find it interesting that you always see people wearing North Carolina - yet they have a terrible record. They currently have only 1 win and 5 loses. As I've said before - sports have a way of bringing pride to a community - especially when they are winning. I hope with Rutgers being a winning team that will have a similar effect on New Jersey. I was wearing my sweatshirt today and I had to go to the bank and the teller started talking about RU - so I think it is having an effect. It may take time, but New Jersey needs something to rally behind.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

When I wear my R.U. stuff I also get a good response from strangers. Greg Schiano the R.U. coach said this is the one team that can bring the state together, I know he is right. R.U. went up 5 spots in both polls and is now ranked 19 in both of them. One more road game on this trip against Pitt. then they come home to play U.Conn. WEAR RED!

They are also ranked 16th in the BCS rankings which determines the big bowls. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Another big test today against Pitt on the road. Alot of fans where flying out of newark yesterday to go to the game. Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Dave, Hopefully you have some R.U. stuff in your Jersey store to sell to those fans. By the way people are looking for red flags with Rutgers block R on it. Maybe this could be a good seller for you. GO R.U.

New Jerseyan

R.U. 20 - Pitt.10 . AWESOME ! R.U. wins a big game on the road and finishes 3-0 on this road trip. They will be coming home to a heros welcome to play U-Conn next Sunday night and they will come home ranked! Yes it is great to be an R.U. fan! WEAR RED!

They finnally ordered me my RUTGERS stuff. T-SHirts Hoodies and Hats to arrive next week GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    They finnally ordered me my RUTGERS stuff. T-SHirts Hoodies and Hats to arrive next week GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great! Make sure you do a really nice display with them right up front.

Side note - I've been working with a professor who is doing a study on the image of NJ and he stopped by your store (I had told him about it and had told him to ask for you). You weren't there though, but he did talk to the person who was working there. He was told how people coming through the airport ask why you sell New Jersey stuff and not New York.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Sell R.U. stuff, R.U. stuff, and more R.U. stuff ! I dont need to see any n.y. garbage in a Jersey store! GO R.U. WEAR RED

New Jerseyan

Another victory as R.U. goes to 8-0. Rutgers beats UConn 24-13 Sunday night at home on national T.V. Next up Louisville on Nov.9 at Rutgers Stadium in what could be a battle of 2 unbeaten teams. This game is also on national T.V. and the game is sold out. A record crowd is expected . R.U. will be putting in temperary bleachers in one of the endzones. The place will be CRAZY! Wear Red!

Biggest game in School History. Scarlet Fevor has hit NJ lets get everyone going. The state should be making a big deal out of this. I havent herd anything from a Politician yet must be to worried about the elections next week.RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RU ready for some Football
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

This is so fanastic! It's great to see such pride in a New Jersey institution...

Rutgers tickets are worth camping out for
    BY BRAD PARKS STAR-LEDGER STAFF

They came with extra hats and gloves, warm jackets and enough provisions to sustain them through the evening. They unfolded their chairs, threw down a few blankets and tried to make a cozy home out of the concrete slab in front of the west gate at Rutgers Stadium.

Then they began their wait. It was 8 o’clock last night. The ticket window would not open for 12 hours. But four Rutgers students from Moorestown — two seniors and two juniors who have known each since high school — weren’t leaving anything to chance.

Just like that, camping overnight for tickets — something never before seen in 137 years of Rutgers football — was under way.

‘‘We wanted to make absolutely sure we got in,’’ said Shane Johnson, one of the juniors.

‘‘We came to every game this season,’’ said Aaron Washington, one of the seniors. ‘‘We couldn’t miss this one.’’

This, after all, is the big one, the one that has an entire state buzzing. Undefeated Rutgers will take on undefeated Louisville Thursday night in what could well be the most anticipated college football game ever played in this state.

And for Rutgers students, the ticket price is awfully hard to beat: It’s free. The only catches are that you have to swipe your student ID not only to claim your ticket but to get into the stadium. (So forget about becoming a scalper to help pay for your tuition.) And only 10,500 student tickets are available.

Which is why those four students from Moorestown weren’t alone for long. Within an hour, a small tent city had sprung up in the parking lot. Some guys from the Rutgers-Newark baseball team even were tossing around a football, tailgate-style.

‘‘We heard if you didn’t show up tonight, there might not be any left tomorrow,’’ said Mike Dennis, one of 17 members of the baseball team preparing to spend a night sleeping on concrete for tickets.

‘‘We’re roughing it,’’ said his teammate Matt Kimbell. ‘‘It’s worth it.’’

This, in case anyone needs reminding, is not how things have been in any of the previous decades since Rutgers played in the first college football game.

Go back just a few years, and 1,000 of the University’s 35,000 students making it to a game was considered a good showing. That was one of the things coach Greg Schiano sought to change when he was hired and began preparing for the 2001 season.

‘‘That spring, he had a meetand-greet with some students, and something like 250 kids showed up, which we thought was great at the time,’’ said Kevin MacConnell, the university’s deputy athletic director. ‘‘He told them his vision. He said, ‘There will be a time when you’re going to be camping out for tickets.’ And I’ll be damned if it isn’t happening.’’

Forgive MacConnell for sounding a little awed by the whole thing. He’s been overseeing the athletic department’s marketing efforts for years and only recently went from the guy selling ice to Eskimos to the guy with the hottest tickets in town.

Louisville is ranked No. 3 in the county; Rutgers No. 15. The winner will claim sole possession of first place in the Big East Conference.

Some of the players who were around for the stink years have whiplash as well. Manny Collins, now a senior, was a freshman when Rutgers went 1-11 and routinely lost games by 50 points or more.

‘‘My freshman year I used to walk around to my friends going, ‘Hey, you guys want tickets?’ And they’d be like, ‘Nah.’ ’’ he said.

And now? ‘‘I got so many people calling me and asking for tickets,’’ he said, ‘‘I stopped picking up my phone.’’

Brian Leonard, the team’s star senior fullback, even joked yesterday that he might go camp out to try to get a few extra tickets, because so many people are asking him for them.

‘‘That’s the biggest distraction to this program right now — family members asking for tickets,’’ Leonard said. ‘‘I’m going to tell ’em to go on eBay and get two tickets for $700 in the upper deck.’’
    Thursday's game is going to be tough - but I KNOW Rutgers can do it! I wish I had tickets.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

J.D., Season Tickets are inexpensive. Ive had them for quite a few years and they havent really gone up in price much recently. They have different packages available including half season. I would suggest at least checking into it as these tickets may get hotter and harder to come by in future years. Parking passes are also available. WEAR RED. GO R.U.

Well today is the biggest game of the season - Louisville versus Rutgers...

Let's GO Rutgers!!!!

New Jersey Proud!

Another Thursday thriller
    Huge Big East showdown center stage once again
    Posted: Thursday November 9, 2006 11:31AM; Updated: Thursday November 9, 2006 5:27PM

Last week it was Louisville's turn to bask in the novelty of its big-time football relevance. "The Showdown in the 'Ville," as the Cardinals' historic upset of West Virginia was dubbed, was hailed as the biggest game in the history of the city, the Bluegrass State and the Big East Conference.

That heady, surreal sense of belonging with the big boys has migrated from the Falls of the Ohio, where Louisville is located, to "the banks of the Old Raritan." So go the lyrics of the Rutgers alma mater, composed by Howard Fullerton in 1873 -- a full four years after his university made history fielding a team which clashed with Princeton in the first-ever college football game. (Rutgers won, 6-4, despite the admonition of an umbrella-waving professor who shouted at players on both sides, "You will come to no Christian end!")

It's been 137 years, but the 8-0, 15th-ranked Scarlet Knights will finally play a game of comparable magnitude. In the Big East's second battle of ranked unbeatens in seven days, No. 3 Louisville visits Rutgers Stadium tonight. Ticket-seeking students camped out in a shantytown named for the head coach (in this case, "Schianoville"). For the first time in its history, a ranked Rutgers team will face a ranked opponent.

Perhaps you saw what the Brian Brohm-led Cardinals did to the Mountaineers a week ago, looking off safeties, threading passes through narrow apertures, absolutely carving up the visitors for 354 yards and a touchdown in a 44-34 victory. Louisville's superb junior quarterback did this despite being just seven weeks removed from surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb.

Brohm's play was "just incredible," marveled Greg Schiano earlier this week. "He's a sure-fire first-round pick and the whole deal," said the Knights head coach, who described tonight's matchup as "a huge challenge."

So, does Rutgers have a prayer?

Of course it does. Schiano has been waiting for six years to coach in a game like this: the opportunity to knock off a top-five team on national TV. This is not the Mountaineers defense the Cardinals will be going up against. As exciting a game as it was last Thursday night, did you not find yourself wondering, "Will either of these defenses ever make a stop?"

Schiano, whose previous gig was as defensive coordinator at Miami, doubles as his own defensive coordinator at Rutgers, and his guys are made of sterner stuff than anyone Louisville has seen this season. The Knights are ranked second in the nation in pass defense (West Virginia is 66th), scoring defense (9.1 points per game) and total defense (227 yards per game).

Can the Knights speedy-but-undersized front seven get heat on Brohm? They can't bring it with too much abandon: Brohm has been the beneficiary of a dynamic rushing attack. Despite the loss of preseason Heisman hopeful Michael Bush, a committee of Cardinals backs has averaged over 200 yards per game on the ground. But as the sages at ScarletNation.com point out, that attack tends to dwindle against the toughest foes (Miami limited U of L's backs to under 100 rushing yards; West Virginia held them to 114).

This game is likely to come down to whether or not Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel is ready for prime time. Yes, the redshirt sophomore's passing statistics have been modest so far this season (seven times he has thrown for 145 or fewer yards). But he has been consistent in the most important statistic: winning. As a starter at Rutgers and New Jersey's Don Bosco Prep (where his 23 straight wins included back-to-back state championships), Teel is 33-1.

"At some point," Schiano said earlier this season, "we're going to have to throw the ball effectively. We haven't had to do that yet."

Two weeks after that comment, Navy sold out to slow Rutgers' superb running back tandem of Ray Rice and Brian Leonard. Teel responded by completing 15 of his 26 passes and burning the Midshipmen for three touchdowns. If the Cardinals stack the box against Rice and Leonard, it will be up to Teel to make them pay with his arm.

Schiano makes no apology for bringing his young quarterback along slowly. He vows to play "New Jersey Big East football" -- a more manly brand of the game, he seemed to be implying, than, say, the Kentucky brand of Big East football.

Remind us again coach -- what exactly is "New Jersey Big East football?" It is, he says, "Controlling the ball, holding it, running it and throwing it not when you have to, but when you want to."

Through the wonders of NJBEF, then, Rutgers will try to keep Brohm off the field by sustaining long, clock-devouring drives featuring Rice and Leonard. Thus, it seems that this game will have a distinctly different feel than did last week's wide-open shootout.

How about that, by the way? For the second straight week, college football's marquee game will not be played on Saturday. While ESPN has been airing Thursday night games on a regular basis for 14 years, Louisville-West Virginia was "the biggest we've ever had," ESPN vice president of public relations Josh Krulewitz told me last week. "We've never had two top-five teams, never had two undefeated teams this late in the season."

While Rutgers-Louisville has slightly less juice, it's not far behind. While the Knights most likely have too much ground to cover to get to the national title game, the Cardinals stand a very solid chance of getting there, should they win out. That such a critical game could be taking place in November, in Piscataway, is, to use that word again, surreal. This is a Rutgers program whose 64-6 loss to Miami in 2000 was, compared to its 80-7 loss in Morgantown a year later, a taut, suspenseful affair. This is a team that has dropped games, in recent seasons, to Villanova, Buffalo (by 23) and New Hampshire.

But the Knights went bowling last season, and are going again. Schiano's players have learned how to win. Maybe we should get used to seeing games of this magnitude played on the banks of the old Raritan.
    I've been switching news channels to check out who is covering the Rutgers game in their news coverage. Channel 7 in Ny has their traffi helicopter over piscataway reporting that there are major tie-ups in the new Brunswick area due to the game. The Empire State Building is lit up in Red in honor of Rutgers. Channel 6 in Philadelphia is even covering it - which is great because then southern New Jersey is also getting the news on the game. They even talked about how Rutgers hosted the first college football game EVER - which was played against Princeton. News 12 New Jersey of course is covering the game.

This is just pretty amazing, considering that New Jersey gets so little acknowledgement from news stations. I wish our politicians can see why it's such an important thing for our professional sports teams to carry NJ on their uniforms.

New Jersey Proud!