Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Football

New Jerseyan

Default Rutgers Football

A new tradition was started last year by Rutgers football fans. We all wear a red Rutgers football shirt on Fridays during the season to support the team. Help us out and support a true N.J. team ,wear red . Help keep the tradition alive . GO R.U.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    A new tradition was started last year by Rutgers football fans. We all wear a red Rutgers football shirt on Fridays during the season to support the team. Help us out and support a true N.J. team ,wear red . Help keep the tradition alive . GO R.U.
    Hey - why just wear red - any other state everyone would be wearing the school shirt or sweatshirt. ( ah my mistake - reread your comment after I posted and I see that you did say red RUTGERS football shirts ) I'll make sure I pick up a Rutgers shirt and wear it on Fridays.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I will put my Rutgers shirt on now since i do already have one. I went to RUTGERS. Go Scarlet Knights.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

If this was Indiana or Kentucky or most other states I've been to - I woud be able to go into almost any grocery store and pick up their state university's shirt. I used to thinking it was stupid at what a big deal they went through over IU or UofL, etc, but nw I've sort of changed my mind in most respects. They have something that New Jerseyans lack - and that's a sense of self pride. They're proud of their state. I hope by doing this that more people will see it and this can foster some sense of prided. NJN the other day had on about this Riutgers Alumni - he teaches now at the Camden Campus. It was just great to see somone so into supporting Rutgers.

So can someone post the Scarlet Knigth's fight song here?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I know the Rutgers University song is "On the Banks of the Old Raritan" but im not sure what the football song is.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Here it is

Fight Songs Lyrics

Rutgers Lyrics

Rutgers
    "The Bells Must Ring"

March, men of Rutgers,
    Down the field today,
    March to another score,
    Foward to the fray,
    Fight! men of Rutgers
    As in days gone by,
    Fight! for the Scarlet flag
    Over the rest must fly.
    Chorus:
    Keep Rutgers colors to the fore,
    For they must win so fight, fight, fight!
    And we'll advance some more to score,
    The Rutgers flag flies high tonight, alright, alright.
    We'll fling the Scarlet banner out,
    And Rutgers men will fight, fight, fight!
    The bells of Queens each victr'y shout,
    The bells of Queens must ring tonight.
    R! U! RAH! RAH! R! U! RAH! RAH! RAH!
    HOORAH! HOORAH! RUTGERS! RAH! RAH!
    FIGHT! TEAM! UP! STREAM!
    UP! STREAM! RED! TEAM! RAH! RAH! RUTGERS! RAH
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Thanks Dave for putting up the Rutgers fight song. I got my Rutgers stuff - but not before getting aggrivated.

I went to the mall - figuring one of the sports stores would carry Rutgers stuff (ignorantly I was going with the fact that other states have a sense of pride and would be shoving this stuff down your throat). Needless to say - I looked and I looked around Champs at the Ocean County Mall. They have Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame, North Carolina and more. After looking everywhere, I waited in line and the cashier asked if he could help me. So I asked him if they have any Rutgers stuff and he said - they don't carry Rutgers. I told him - you carry all these other universities - but not the state university? He said they carry it around Freehold. I felt like telling him that while Rutgers is only 40 miles from Toms River, North Carolina is over 500, and Notre Dame is about 900, and unlike Rutgers, neither are New Jersey universities.

In Indiana if I wanted an IU or Purdue Shirt, I could go to a frigging Rite Aid or even the grocery store. Not in New Jersey though. Here in good ole New Jersey, you can't even buy New Jersey college shirts at a sports store at a mall; they only sell OUT OF STATE university merchandise.

After this fiasco, I went to see my cousin and I told him that NJ sucks, which this statement obviously shocked him. After explaining to him, he thought it was a bit ridiculous too. He then told me about Modells at the Foodtown shopping center on 37 and that I should try there. I'm glad I did - not only did they have Rutgers stuff, but some of it was actually displayed in the window. Can you believe it? Actually having New Jersey merchandise proudly displayed? I swear, the world is going to come to an end! Isn't that supposed to be one of the signs of armaggedan coming - New Jerseyans get some pride and proudly show off their home state? Damn - if I didn't know any better I swear that the Giants and Jets will finally admit to the world they are a New JERSEY team and put NJ on their uniforms. If that happened though the whole universe would probably collapse on itself.

If this seems as if I am frustrated - I am!

Anyway, I am NOW wearing my NEW Rutgers sweatshirt and not only did I get that, but I also go a football jersey, a golf shirt AND a long sleave t-shirt. I am now fully prepared for Friday night Proud to be New JERSEY - Rutgers supporter.

I think I'll even change my avatar for the time being to a Rutgers/Scarlet Knight logo.

For those interested you can buy your Rutgers gear at the Online Rutgers Store

Here is the Scarlet Knights official website.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Good job JD and Dave its is a tradition we started last football season and we hope it catches on . Things like this may take a while but like I said we wear red R.U. football shirts,etc. every Friday during the season. I also have a jersey, hat, a couple t-shirts, a jacket and season tickets. I have been going to their games for about 20 years now. Sorry to hear getting these things was a pain JD as I noticed the same thing quite a few years ago. The problem is R.U. has had alot of down years recently in the more popular sports and people tend to only root for teams that always win instead of going through the bad times with the team. I myself have bought things at the stadium , the bookstore and a store called Scarlet Fever its in New Brunswick down the street from the bookstore. The more they win more places will carry their shirts,etc. Thanks again for helping the tradition and tell people about it .

New Jerseyan

Rutgers goes down to North Carolina today and brings home a HUGE win 21-16. Next up, Illinois Sat. Sept. 9 . It is R.U.s home opener and the place will be rocking, and it should be close to a record crowd at the stadium . Game time high noon , tailgaiting time 8:00 am (if not sooner) . I AM PUMPED ! Remember help support the home team and wear a red Rutgers shirt Friday , its New Jerseys new tradition.

I was out - but my cousin called me and told me that Rutgers had won. Sports shouldn't be the central aspect of a university - but they do give something that the community, state and students can rally around. I hope that in the near future New Jerseyans will be rallying around Rutgers - the way Indiana rallys around Indana University.

BTW - I am one of the people who supported the renaming of Rutgers and the consolidation of NJ schools to form a mega university simiar to the University of California. I wanted the "new" university to be called New Jersey University - with each part appended to the end - such as New Jersey University - Rutgers. Okay so this is an off topic and should go under the New Jersey Schools and Education forum.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Tommorrow is Red day , Sat. - home opener vs. Illinois, R.U. is an 11 point favorite , AMAZING . Just a few short years ago R.U. would have been the underdog . The times they are a-changing! GOOOOOOOOOO R.U.

NJPride - I am wearing my Rutgers shirt. Also, it is good that things are changing, hopefully they will continue to change for the better.

New Jersey Proud!

I think a finnaly convinced by buyers to get me some RUTGERS product for the store. It took me 4 years but I think i have finnally won. We are also going to have a bigger NJ DEVILS section this year.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I think a finnaly convinced by buyers to get me some RUTGERS product for the store. It took me 4 years but I think i have finnally won. We are also going to have a bigger NJ DEVILS section this year.
    That's great. Why has it taken so long? I remember, the company that owns the Jersey Store at Newark Liberty is an out of state company - wouldn't you know more than them what should be carried?

This reminds of the incidents at the Turnpike, Parkway and Liberty State Park stores. When confronted about the amount of NY stuff they sell and th fact that they don't sell NJ items (although the Turnpike reststops have started the carry a limited selection of NJ items), they said that NJ stuff doesn't sell - only NY stuff. Wll my argument is - if you don't offer it - of course no one is going to buy it. Also - if they want NY items - get it in NY. You don't see Penn Station selling NJ souvenirs. :rolls: I know I know - a bit off topic. Just needed to get this off my chest.

If you don't sell Rutgers things, of course no one is going to buy it. :rolls:

New Jersey Proud!

Tommorrow is Red day , Sat. - home opener vs. Illinois, R.U. is an 11 point favorite , AMAZING . Just a few short years ago R.U. would have been the underdog . The times they are a-changing! GOOOOOOOOOO R.U.
    11 point favorite there - uh? They came in a little low on that one RU shut them out at 33 - 0 It is rather amazing that a couple of years ago you really wouldn't be expecting Rutgers to win at all.

New Jersey Proud!

Another big win. Syracuse looked good in their lose but we can whip them too.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

My wife and I got to the lot for the usual pregame tailgaiting at 9am. Some of my friends had already arrived. Then I hear a plane buzzing the lots, look up and its pulling a banner like the planes down the shore do. This plane was advertising Geico insurance. This plane flew over the area many times and it became more annoying after every fly over, but what was more annoying was the fact that it was advertising how great the company does in new york. What the hell do I care how an insurance company does in another state? I will be E-mailing them to let them know about my feelings about this banner. Other than that it was a great game and a beautiful day. Next week is homecoming against Ohio. Hopefully we go 3-0 and we will be halfway to being bowl eligible. Game time is 3:30, and the game is on MSG. But dont watch it on the tube unless you have 2 broken legs, get your tickets soon and come to the game,it is supposed to be another nice day according to early weather forecasts. GO R.U.

My wife and I got to the lot for the usual pregame tailgaiting at 9am. Some of my friends had already arrived. Then I hear a plane buzzing the lots, look up and its pulling a banner like the planes down the shore do. This plane was advertising Geico insurance. This plane flew over the area many times and it became more annoying after every fly over, but what was more annoying was the fact that it was advertising how great the company does in new york. What the hell do I care how an insurance company does in another state? I will be E-mailing them to let them know about my feelings about this banner.
    I had e-mailed them once about using the term "Jerseyite" in their ads. I never heard anything from them. They seem to want to do business in New Jersey - they just have a bunch of New York ad agencies doing their marketing who know NOTHING, nor care to know anything about New Jersey. You can read about it in the "New Jerseyan or New Jerseyite" thread.
    Other than that it was a great game and a beautiful day. Next week is homecoming against Ohio. Hopefully we go 3-0 and we will be halfway to being bowl eligible. Game time is 3:30, and the game is on MSG. But dont watch it on the tube unless you have 2 broken legs, get your tickets soon and come to the game,it is supposed to be another nice day according to early weather forecasts. GO R.U.
    I have debated on going and asking about meeting up with you.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

JD , If you or anybody else would like to meet up with us at a game you are more than welcome. We meet at the same spot evey game. It is about 200 yards from the stadium in a small grass field with plenty of shade . We also have a couple of canopys to put over our barbecues . One of my friends also brought a portable bar this week (not that we needed the bar to suck down a few).We always have plenty of food because we all bring something to share . A good time is had by all and then we head into the stadium and watch R.U. win, hopefully. The college atmosphere is 100 times better than the pros!

New Jerseyan

Rutgers continues to win . Yesterdays homecomeing crowd which was the 5th largest in stadium history saw a 24-7 R.U. victory over Ohio. R.U. now stands a 3-0 and has a home game this coming Sat. against Howard at 2:00 leaving plenty of time to soak up the great college atmosphere while tailgaiting. Dont forget all you proud Jerseyans help the new tradition and wear a red Rutgers shirt on Friday.