Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jersey Nets

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Beatman - I'm not really that suprised. Here is the article from the Star Ledger...

Nets set to stay if move delayed
    BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

The Nets and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority yesterday finalized a new lease that will allow the team to remain at the Continental Airlines Arena until 2013 if necessary.

Nets executives insisted the team will begin playing in Brooklyn in 2009, but just in case that project is delayed, they negotiated a deal that gives the team a chance to make more money and guarantees the sports authority won’t lose any.

‘‘We’re hopeful that Brooklyn doesn’t work and we can negotiate something long-term,’’ said George Zoffinger, chief executive of the sports authority, which operates the Meadowlands sports complex. ‘‘But at least under this deal we will always show a profit.’’

The sports authority has lost money most years under its current deal with the Nets because the agency was responsible for most of the expenses involved with putting on the game. In some years, those losses reached nearly $1.2 million.

Under the new deal, the Nets will cover the game-day expenses with a rental fee of $48,864 for its first 50 games at the arena and $60,000 for each game after that. The sports authority has projected the deal with give the agency an annual profit of about $350,000, even though the state has promised to buy $400,000 worth of Nets tickets each season.

The deal allows the team to keep all other ticket revenue, share money from luxury suite sales with the sports authority, and receive $300,000 from any naming rights deal for the arena. ‘‘This gives us options,’’ said Brett Yormark, the Nets chief executive. ‘‘We’re in the growth mode and we still think we have tremendous upside as long as we are in New Jersey.’’

The deal includes a buyout provision if the Nets move anywhere besides Brooklyn or Queens. In that case, the team would have to pay the sports authority a decreasing fee that starts at $12.1 million if the team moves somewhere else in 2008 and goes down to $2.6 million if the team moves elsewhere after 2012.
    Not only do I find the fact that they can break the deal if they go to Queens or Brooklyn ridiculous (and by the way - when the hell did Queens get into the picture?), but look at who was paying for all the games before? "The sports authority has lost money most years under its current deal with the Nets because the agency was responsible for most of the expenses involved with putting on the game. In some years, those losses reached nearly $1.2 million. " Is this how we get paid back for supporting them all these years with OUR tax dollars!!!!? What the hell kind of deals do our politicians put together with these damn teams and why do they allow NJ to be step all over?

Alos, instead of the NJSEA looking at what is best for New JERSEY - they would rather have them go to Brooklyn or Queens, than have them stay in the state and move to Newark. I just can not understand this mentality. We would at leat be getting tax revenue, plus have TWO teams occupying the Newark Arena, which would be even better for Newark, but instead the NJSEA acts like a bunch of sore losers and would rather have the team leave the state completely. This state has serious problems, and those problems are located in Trenton!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default This issue, while it may pale in comparison to high taxes

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Beatman - I'm not really that suprised. Here is the article from the Star Ledger...

Not only do I find the fact that they can break the deal if they go to Queens or Brooklyn ridiculous (and by the way - when the hell did Queens get into the picture?), but look at who was paying for all the games before? "The sports authority has lost money most years under its current deal with the Nets because the agency was responsible for most of the expenses involved with putting on the game. In some years, those losses reached nearly $1.2 million. " Is this how we get paid back for supporting them all these years with OUR tax dollars!!!!? What the hell kind of deals do our politicians put together with these damn teams and why do they allow NJ to be step all over?

Alos, instead of the NJSEA looking at what is best for New JERSEY - they would rather have them go to Brooklyn or Queens, than have them stay in the state and move to Newark. I just can not understand this mentality. We would at leat be getting tax revenue, plus have TWO teams occupying the Newark Arena, which would be even better for Newark, but instead the NJSEA acts like a bunch of sore losers and would rather have the team leave the state completely. This state has serious problems, and those problems are located in Trenton!
    and corruption, is an excellent barometer on how NJ views its own own cities, especially Newark. The hatred of Newark continues no matter who is Mayor.It's also a bit of a test for Cory Booker, since this is just an outright slap in the face to Newark by the state. I'm curious to see how he responds.Former mayor Sharpe James, before he decended into being just another corrupt career polititan, would go toe to toe with anyone who dared to badmouth the city. I wonder if Cory has that same feistiness. Or will Cory just let it slide and be a "good little mayor" and maybe Newark can get get to be another NY bedroom community? We'll see.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I'm watching the Miami Heat game and the announcers were talking about how the Nets are "moving" to Brooklyn. They also mentioned how the Nets have dropped NJ from their name and are trying to market the team as a "regional" team. I guess New Jersey was good enough during all those losing years, but now that they're winning - it's stick-it New Jersey. I seriously hope that New Jerseyans are smart enough to see right through the Nets marketing schemes and won't support the turn-coats after they leave - if they leave. I will also be pissed if they stay in New Jersey, but refuse to keep NJ in their name. It is about time our damn politicians did something about these arrogant teams.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

Wow, that's horrible the Nets are already dropping NJ out of their name.

I really hope this RU fever is here to stay and we finally have a team of our own.

The Devils have been always great to Jersey, but hockey pales in comparison to basketball in terms of popularity, in my opinion, let alone football.

Tourist

Thumbs up NBA Star Terry Cummings releases R&B CD “Finally”

Yo, seekin out fans of the Golden State Warriors and checkin if anyone remembers Terry Cummings from the ’98-2000 player roster. I was always a big fan of Terry’s and learned that he’s now recording music and has a new release out called “TC Finally.”

I’m digging Terry’s music which is a cross between Marvin Gaye and Al Green. Most of the tracks on his new CD are R&B vibe.

I just checked out the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Ti_-TMpwo and found his website which has some cool NBA photos on the site .