Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Nets

New Jerseyan

Default New Jersey Nets

I have to admit, I was a NJ Nets fan until Bruce Ratner bought the team and is trying to move them to Brooklyn. I think he's got a lot of gall keeping the team in the Meadowlands as a lame duck franchise while he tries to get his place built in NY. The team will never win a championship here because that would be bad for the Nets to win it all, and then leave. Bruce is just trying to get as much money as he can out of Jerseyans to pay for his pending eminent
    domain lawsuits. I'm sure he realizes most New Jerseyans will not got to Brooklyn to see the Nets.
    Now he's trying to get a lease extention at CAA because his plans have hit some snags(poor guy! ). If I were the Sports Authority, I would stick it to him: no concessions, no parking: just hit him in the money belt any way they can. If he leaves, good luck. I'd rather him take his team and go now than rake New Jersey over the coals. Where would he go? MSG? You never know. He might just sell the team back to NJ ownership group who will put them in Newark with the Devils!!
    Any other proud New Jerseyans have similar feelings on this?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    I have to admit, I was a NJ Nets fan until Bruce Ratner bought the team and is trying to move them to Brooklyn. I think he's got a lot of gall keeping the team in the Meadowlands as a lame duck franchise while he tries to get his place built in NY. The team will never win a championship here because that would be bad for the Nets to win it all, and then leave. Bruce is just trying to get as much money as he can out of Jerseyans to pay for his pending eminent
    domain lawsuits. I'm sure he realizes most New Jerseyans will not got to Brooklyn to see the Nets.
    Now he's trying to get a lease extention at CAA because his plans have hit some snags(poor guy! ). If I were the Sports Authority, I would stick it to him: no concessions, no parking: just hit him in the money belt any way they can. If he leaves, good luck. I'd rather him take his team and go now than rake New Jersey over the coals. Where would he go? MSG? You never know. He might just sell the team back to NJ ownership group who will put them in Newark with the Devils!!
    Any other proud New Jerseyans have similar feelings on this?
    Well I can tell you that I agree with you completely. Sorry to say that NJ won't do anything to make him hurt finacially when he has to renew his lease because of problems in Brooklyn. All you have to do is look at how NJ rolls over when it comes to the Giants and Jets using NY on their uniforms. The Jets were even out there badmouthing NJ while they were trying to obtain the westside stadium,now they're all "lovey-dovey" with NJ since NY nixed their grand plans and they're "forced" to stay in NJ. I expect NJ politicians to be the same when Bruce comes crawling back to NJ because the brooklyn development is moving as quickly as molasses in 30 below weather.

Like you - i think it's hilarious with the problems Bruce is having with the brooklyn deal
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default N.J.NETS

Alot of people are starting to believe the Nets arent going anywhere .The owner of N.J.s only real major league team said it would be fine if the Nets went to Newark with them , even if it was temporary . Alot of people in Brooklyn dont want the Nets and it would be great to see N.Y. fail again in an atempt to get another team from the Meadowlands . Also from what I have heard recently there are more problems with the new football stadium at the Meadowlands and it might not be built . I can only hope so .Until these 2 teams take our name they can build their stadium in antartica for all I care . NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 03-03-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    Alot of people are starting to believe the Nets arent going anywhere .The owner of N.J.s only real major league team said it would be fine if the Nets went to Newark with them , even if it was temporary . Alot of people in Brooklyn dont want the Nets and it would be great to see N.Y. fail again in an atempt to get another team from the Meadowlands .
    I am starting to believe to - I have actually been getting the feeling they may not be going anywhere. They haven't been in the news at - NY doesn't talk about them much, there are no shovels in the ground. It seems to be going through the same problem as the Westside Stadium.
    Also from what I have heard recently there are more problems with the new football stadium at the Meadowlands and it might not be built . I can only hope so .Until these 2 teams take our name they can build their stadium in antartica for all I care .
    I haven't heard about many problems with the Stadium - I did hear some issues with the newark arena and the Devils not putting up their money yet or something. But I agree with you as I've said many times - if the Giants and Jets are so ashamed to have people know they are NJ teams - then they should go to where they would rather be - and that's back in Yankee Stadium and Shea Sadium where they once played before New JERSEY built them their stadium. I won't go see a Giants or Jets game as long at the wear NY on their uniforms and if the Nets move - then they are no longer a team I will root for either.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Nets / Devils

The Devils and Newark did work out the problem they had a couple of weeks ago . On the front page of Star Ledger from March 2 2006 there is a picture of the first columns of steel going up for the new arena in Newark .The cross beam has an American and a Devil flag attached to it . The arena is scheduled to open in Sept . 2007 . You can also follow the progress of the arena on the Devils website . NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    The Devils and Newark did work out the problem they had a couple of weeks ago . On the front page of Star Ledger from March 2 2006 there is a picture of the first columns of steel going up for the new arena in Newark .The cross beam has an American and a Devil flag attached to it . The arena is scheduled to open in Sept . 2007 . You can also follow the progress of the arena on the Devils website . NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !
    That's good to hear then. I knew they were going forward anyway and felt that it would be cleared up. I should start getting the Star ledger again - it's just that I never had time to read it and the papers would just get piled up. It would be great for newark and for NJ if the Nets ended up staying in NJ at the new arena. The arena is being built - brooklyns isn't even on the drawing board yet.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Judges will decide if the Nets go to Brooklyn.

If the judges in NY don't bow down to mayor Bloomberg and are allowed to
    rule objectively,then the Brooklyn thing won't happen. That whole eminent
    domain issue is the key. If Ratner is defeated, he will most likely sell the Nets.
    As for the new Giants stadium, the last I heard was, NJ may want a new deal
    because the Giants/Jets are getting a windfall and we're getting screwed
    I did see the pictures of the beams being installed for the Newark Arena!!
    I guess the Star Ledger will jump on the Arena bandwagon now, since they spent the last year and a half opposing it!

Recent Resident

The Nets wouldn't be moving if they got the kind of support like the Knicks or even other NBA teams around the country. Watch their regular season games. Nobody shows up. I'm all for Jersey and wish they would stay, but how can you not fault them for moving to Brooklyn, with a population of millions, and with easy access to the place thanks to the subway and the LIRR ? They can attract fans from not only Brooklyn, but all boroughs of NYC and LI. That's a big deal. They can sell out that place easy thanks to the convenience of the transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    The Nets wouldn't be moving if they got the kind of support like the Knicks or even other NBA teams around the country. Watch their regular season games. Nobody shows up. I'm all for Jersey and wish they would stay, but how can you not fault them for moving to Brooklyn, with a population of millions, and with easy access to the place thanks to the subway and the LIRR ? They can attract fans from not only Brooklyn, but all boroughs of NYC and LI. That's a big deal. They can sell out that place easy thanks to the convenience of the transportation.
    They woudl have easy access at the Newark Arena. I don't buy it. Ratner wanted the Nets in brooklyn regardless - that's what he had said after he bought them. Once they leave NJ - they are no longer a team I will see or root for.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Are you comparing Newark to Brooklyn ?

I love Jersey, but I think Brooklyn wins that one.

Plus, Ratner is gonna make billions on the construction deal. It sucks, I agree with you, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    Are you comparing Newark to Brooklyn ?

I love Jersey, but I think Brooklyn wins that one.
    I'm not comparing Brooklyn to Newark. I think Newark is better than Brooklyn. Brooklyn isn't even city, it's a borough.
    Plus, Ratner is gonna make billions on the construction deal. It sucks, I agree with you, but it is what it is.
    Still not going to go to the games. I like how in this weeks article, they have an interview with Yormark and he basically comes out portraying himself as the pied piper, while New Jersey fans are the rtats he's trying to get to follow him aross the river. Well this is one person who is smart enough to fall for his "spiel" as he calls it. I just hope that NJ Monthly prints my letter I wrote to them.

BTW - if they want to move, then move. Dont' try building up the fan base now because you need the NJ fans to survive in Brooklyn, when they neglected to build up the fan base while they were here!

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Still not going to go to the games. I like how in this weeks article, they have an interview with Yormark and he basically comes out portraying himself as the pied piper, while New Jersey fans are the rtats he's trying to get to follow him aross the river. Well this is one person who is smart enough to fall for his "spiel" as he calls it. I just hope that NJ Monthly prints my letter I wrote to them.

BTW - if they want to move, then move. Dont' try building up the fan base now because you need the NJ fans to survive in Brooklyn, when they neglected to build up the fan base while they were here!
    Wow, I didn't know all that. I'm not a big Net fan, but a big sports fan and I have been hearing about this on WFAN and other news outlets. That's lame. They have a really nice team, it's too bad they're taking them from the Jersey fans that stuck through the crap teams of DC, Kenny Anderson, Marbury, etc. I doubt they'd move now since there isn't a comparable stadium like the Meadowlands ? Maybe in LI, but I doubt any else. And I'm sure the Knicks wouldn't adopt them like the Lakers have taken in the Clippers into their home.

I'm just going to copy this in here, this was a disucussion that developed on the "NY Red Bulls" - formerly the NJ Metrostars. They have also decided to put NY on their uniforms while NJ tax payers foot the $85 million dollar arena.

BTW way - read this month's NJ Monthly for a nice arrogant article about Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the "(don't call them New Jersey)" Nets. I hope they lose now too. Here is a tiny quote "When Yormark is asked to defien Brooklyn, he says, it's "an iconic brand that transcends the metropolitan area...[and] is going to present some tremendous opportunities for us. Go to Europe and you'll find Brooklyn Lager," he notes. Yormark pauses before attempting to characterize New Jersey. When I think of New Jersey, I think of -- what does Bruce [Ratner] say? -- the underdog." Basically the article is about how he's trying to build up the Nets into this brand that will allow them to move the Nets over to Brooklyn, with New Jerseyans following like the rats in the Pied Piper.
    From Marianita -

Jersey Devil, I cannot find the article in the April issue. I don't think my May issue is here yet. Let me know. I agree with what you say. Nj is getting crumbs.. Marianita
    From A-Line -

I just read the article on Brett Yormark ("The Optimist: Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the (don't call them New Jersey) Nets, wants fans as passionate as the NASCAR faithful--never mind where the future leads," New Jersey Monthly, May 2006, pgs. 35-39).

Basically this guy is a salesman -- albeit a very very successful salesman. I would normally despise a guy like this because he is trying to get New Jerseyans to root for a New York sports team -- yet again -- or what will eventually become another New York sports team. However, he is getting paid so I understand he is just doing his job.

The article does go on to say that, "as a [New Jersey] native," he is "saddened by New Jersey's inability to retain the [Nets]." And that "As a fan," he is "disappointed."

I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.

Hooray! Yippee! (sarcasm)
    Quote From JD

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.
    I felt the same way here and feel like writing to NJ MOnthly about that very issue. What about doing a story about the Devils and their new arena - forget the Nets - they don't want to be here anymore, then leave. You can bet that if I was governor they would have paid a huge dollar amount to renew their lease while their arena in Brooklyn is still in negotiations. Knowing our state representatives though, they probably gave the naming rights to the Devils new arena to them in addition to low lease payments.

It's funny though, NJ had no problem retaining the team for all those years they were a bunch of losers. Now that they actually win, they turn their backs on us. Now NJ isn't good enough.
    Quote from JD -

Well I wrote my letter -

I really don't understand why you covered such an ungrateful team in your NJ Inc article. For one thing, they are NOT NJ Inc, they will be and for all purposes NY Inc. I thought this was a New JERSEY magazine which is supposed to be promoting New JERSEY, not sports teams who were, until a few years ago, the worst team in the league and now that they win, are picking up and turning their back on us. Bruce Ratner knows that the Nets can't survive without the New Jersey fans, that's why they are trying so hard to build up this "fan base" before they move. Brett Yormark is merely the pied piper who considers New Jerseyans the rats who will follow them to Brooklyn. Well this is one fan who isn't falling for the lies and slick packaging. They want to leave, then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out. The "(don't call them the New Jersey) Nets" spoke volumes to the attitude toward New Jersey and our politicians continue to let New Jersey get walked all over by these ungrateful sports teams. I say support the teams who are PROUD to be in New Jersey, not merely give lip service to it.
    This really should be moved to the Nets thread.
    Quote from JD -

Juast to make peopole aware - the nets items will be moved to the Nets thread tonight. For the time being, I just wanted to say that NJ Monthly e-mailed me back and said they are considering my letter concerning the NJ Inc article for publication in their next issue. I'm hoping they will publish it and that they won't edit it too much. One thing is for sure, they better keep my "pied piper" and "rats" comment in there.
    Quopte form Marianta

That is so cool Jersey Devil. You may become famous. There will be plenty of letters to the editor also. lol. Marianita
    Since the start thread was a combined post, and since there was activity here before I was able to move the posts, I've had to just copy the posts in here. I've kept everyones posts in the Metrostars thread though.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default It is ironic that the Devils building an arena

in Newark keeps getting blasted by state officials. Even Cory Booker is against it. I hope if he's elected mayor he does't try to stop it. That would just cause lawsuits and give Newark another Renaissance Mall fiasco. Plus it would deter more businesses from coming to Newark, since the city won't hold up its end of a binding agreement.
    But these same state officials are so lovey-dovey with Bruce Ratner, it sickens me. They'll probably give him a sweetheart lease extension and have us pay for the moving vans!! Zoffinger and Ratner, PERFECT TOGETHER!!

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    in Newark keeps getting blasted by state officials. Even Cory Booker is against it. I hope if he's elected mayor he does't try to stop it. That would just cause lawsuits and give Newark another Renaissance Mall fiasco. Plus it would deter more businesses from coming to Newark, since the city won't hold up its end of a binding agreement.
    There isn't any stopping the arena development now. Finally no one can rework the deal and destroy it. The arena is going up as we speak. The devils website even has a live cam you can watch.
    But these same state officials are so lovey-dovey with Bruce Ratner, it sickens me. They'll probably give him a sweetheart lease extension and have us pay for the moving vans!! Zoffinger and Ratner, PERFECT TOGETHER!!
    NJ politicians are in bed with NY and they always have been. NJ has always been for sale to NY. It's sickening to read the history of NJ and see all the give aways our past representative gave to NY interests. Today the cycle continues. When will our politicans stand up for NJ, instead of groveling to NY and kissing their feet?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default I've been hearing that the Nets are trying to get

an extension on their CAA lease until 2012. Where as this may sound like a good thing for NJ, I have 2 different opinions. Bruce, if you are going to move
    the team to Brooklyn, DO IT NOW!! Stop using NJ fans to fund your move. If our state isn't good enough to house the Nets, then you don't need our money either. Take your lumps, and have the team play at a facility in Brooklyn while you wait for your project to get built(if it ever does )And to George Zoffinger, what is with your mad desire to keep open an outdated arena with no mass transportation access, no amenities, and no team wanting to play there? Wasn't the Xanadu project supposed to take the place of CAA? I know it wasn't your fault, but over the years the NJSEA has failed the Meadowlands. They were supposed to get rail service: they didn't. They were supposed to upgrade the complex with restaurants and things, so people would have somewhere to go before a game: they didn't. Now the Newark Arena is being built, and the time for devisive "city vs suburbs" policies are over. If you want to keep the Nets in NJ, PUT THEM IN NEWARK!!

Beatman -

I seriously hope you have sent your thoughts to the Star Ledger, to th Zoffinger and others. If Ratner is anything like the owners of the Giants though - I can tell you that he can careless what "lowly" New Jerseyans think of them - we're just their meal ticket before they move to NY.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Default Kidd, Carter supports move to Brooklyn.

Nets are finished in New Jersey.

Nets Arena Gets Glowing Endorsement from 2 Players

BROOKLYN, New York -- The proposed $3.5 Billion redevelopment project that includes a new arena for the New Jersey Nets received glowing endorsments Wednesday from the team's two most popular players.

1010 WINS AUDIO: Terry Sheridan Reports from Brooklyn

"You just don't know the magnitude of it until you're here and see just how big it really is,'' said point guard Jason Kidd, who along with teammate Vince Carter attended a news conference across the street from where a public hearing on the Atlantic Yards project was scheduled for later Wednesday.

"It's a wonderful thing, not just basketball-wise, but for the community to get a facelift and an upgrade in a lot of different areas where they need it,'' he added.

Kidd acknowledged that there is a possibility he might not still be playing by the time of the arena's scheduled opening in 2009. He underwent knee surgery before the 2004-2005 season and will turn 34 next March.

"I'll be 36 in three years,'' he said. ``God willing, I can be healthy. John Stockton went until he was 41. So we'll see. I would love to have the opportunity to play in that building and be a part of that atmosphere.''

The project which also features plans for apartment towers, office buildings, stores and a hotel, has drawn strong opposition from neighborhood groups who contend its too large a scale for the physical surroundings.

Supporters, including several local elected officials who attended Wednesday's news conference, have praised the project for its commitment to provide housing for low- and moderate-income residents.

Carter and Kidd both envisioned a ramped-up rivalry with the New York Knicks if the Nets move to Brooklyn. Carter also noted the urban location as a plus.

"You'd love an ideal location where the fans can come from everywhere,'' he said. ``Like when I played in Toronto, it was right downtown where everybody could get to it, and that's kind of how I see this.''

Kidd said Nets fans in New Jersey would still be able to attend games in Brooklyn via public transportation _ an option that is not currently available at the Meadowlands except on a small scale.

"It may attract a different fan base,'' he said. ``But my own opinion was what hurt the Meadowlands was that there was no way to get to the game. Imagine being able to get on the train and get to the game, then get on the train and go home.

I think that will be a plus for many people from Bergen County or anybody who lives in New Jersey to come to a game.''

(TM & 2006 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO & EYE Logo TM & 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report. In the interest of timeliness, this story is fed directly from the newswire and may contain occasional typographical errors.

I merged your thread into the New Jersey Nets thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookiebluez
    Nets are finished in New Jersey.
    That isn't necessarily true, although I have decided that with all this anti-New Jersey feeling from the team and the owners, that I will no longer be supporting the nets, whether they leave for Brooklyn or not.

They have backstabbed New Jersey. They stayed here for years while losing and now that they FIINALLY have a winning team, New Jersey isn't good enough for them. Well I say - good ridance. If New Jerseyans have any brains they'll drop the Nets and boycott them this season too. Let them hurt where it matters - their pocketbook. As I have said before - the Nets can't survive without the New Jersey fans, and the owners know it.

I love these statements by the way...

"It's a wonderful thing, not just basketball-wise, but for the community to get a facelift and an upgrade in a lot of different areas where they need it,'' he added.

Carter and Kidd both envisioned a ramped-up rivalry with the New York Knicks if the Nets move to Brooklyn. Carter also noted the urban location as a plus.

"You'd love an ideal location where the fans can come from everywhere,'' he said. ``Like when I played in Toronto, it was right downtown where everybody could get to it, and that's kind of how I see this.''
    What about the arena that is going up in Newark? They are more than welcome to be a part of that. But the thing is - Ratner wants them out of Newark and Kidd and Carter are the newest pied pipers trying to drum up support for the move.

These statements here you just have to love....

Kidd said Nets fans in New Jersey would still be able to attend games in Brooklyn via public transportation _ an option that is not currently available at the Meadowlands except on a small scale.

"It may attract a different fan base,'' he said. ``But my own opinion was what hurt the Meadowlands was that there was no way to get to the game. Imagine being able to get on the train and get to the game, then get on the train and go home.

I think that will be a plus for many people from Bergen County or anybody who lives in New Jersey to come to a game.''
    That is true - IF WE WANT TO SUPPORT A TURNCOAT TEAM! I agree that the Meadowlands sucks in terms of not having public transportation - of course they manage to supply public transportation for New Yorkers attending Giants and Jets games, but public transportation is going into the Meadowlands and the arena being built in Newark already has public transportation and is much easier for both New Jerseyans AND New Yorkers to get to. Who the hell wants to go into Brooklyn anyway? So these statements are just silkscreens to convince New Jerseyans to stick with the team because they had no other choice. Well I say that this is a bunch of bull and they know it.

New Jersey has to stop kissing New York's ass and start sticking up for itself. The Nets move - then they no longer get New Jerseyans support. They'll just end up being the ugly step-sister of the NY Knicks which will be really funny. New Yorkers have a basketbal team they support, I seriously doubt many of them are going to switch from the Knicks to the Nets- which of course is why they need to convince us to continue to support them.

BTW - did you notice that in the article they were NOT revferred to as the New Jersey Nets - but only as the Nets, while the Knicks were referred to as the New York Knicks? They have been in the process of distancing themselves form New Jersey for the past year and have eliminated New Jersey from their name. I say we eliminate them from our support!

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Did any of you catch the articles of the Nets

new lease extension in the Ledger or Bergen Record? Get this!! If they move to Brooklyn or Queens in 2009 as planned, everything is okay. But if they move anywhere else, LIKE NEWARK, NEW JERSEY, they will have to pay a penalty starting at 12 million in 2009. This is ridiculous!! The NJSEA rewards the Nets if they move to NY, but penalizes them if they stay in the state and go to Newark??