Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Forgotten Shore

Thread: The Forgotten Shore

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default The Forgotten Shore

This is an often forgotten part of New Jersey, but it is extremely beautiful. For people who want to get away from it all - this is the area to go to. There are parts of course that are built up - such as Salem and Bridgeton, but for the most part, it is wilderness with farmland and marshland.

Taking a drive through here can be a very relaxing experience. I would recommend getting off the main roads and travel the side roads. One of the best maps for taking road trips around NJ - especially for areas such as this - is the
    DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer: New Jersey

I use this for all my trips throughout the state.

How many people have traveled through the Delware Bay area or live there and what have your experiences been? What are your favorite places to go?

There is a Ye Olde Tavern - which is the second oldest tavern in the US and you can still eat dinner there. Lafayette and many famous people from during the revolution are said to have eaten there.

In addtion you can see Ft Mott State Park, or have a picnic in Riverview Beach Park in Pennsville (see the monument in celebration of the early Swedish and Finish settlers), you can also see The Hancock House, or the New Sweden Farmstead.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Post Wheaton Village

Hi J.D.!

I haven't been to that part of New Jersey since 1976.

I was staying in Cape May at the time and wanted to see a little more of New Jersey, rather than just heading north on the Parkway.

In particular, I wanted to see Wheaton Village in Millville. My father was in the furniture business in Ocean County for many years and used to carry Wheaton glassware in his stores. I still have several of Wheaton's commemorative flasks. I was always proud of the fact that almost every piece of glass that Wheaton made had "Wheaton, N.J." molded into the bottom.

Wheaton Village was a very neat and well-planned copy of a Victorian-era town square. After you had browsed in the little shops you could visit an actual glassworks and watch glass being blown.

Glassmaking was an important industry in colonial New Jersey, since the sandy soil of the soutern part of the state provided the prime ingredient for glass. The Wheaton glassworks has carried on that proud tradition.

New Jerseyan

Smile hey there

Nope, I can honestly say that I have not been anywhere near that area, not then and certainly not now. I am a city person and as such, tend to take things for granted, like a burger stall within reach. So, I most certainly would not be at home amidst wilderness,
    thanks for the offer though.

Recent Resident

hi!
    would that place be good to visit with kids? and safe too?

New Jerseyan

Smile from reviews!

I did take the time to check out the place online ever since the post by Jersey Devil and I have to say that the reviews are actually quite good, some even extending to 'fawning'. Either way, I do think that if you prefer the outdoors, it should be a nice place to head to, with your kids in tow - now that's a sentence that I had wanted to use in a long while. Good luck -

Default Delaware Bay Shore

Plenty of out of the way places along the Delaware just follow the roads as far as you can.
    My wife and I like to ride or motorcycles down every road that shows up on the GPS just to see where they go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome NoDrtRider

Thanks for posting the photos. I've taken the back roads through Salem and Cumberland, it is beautiful and peaceful there. It's one of the great things about New Jersey - the diversity of the state.

BW - there are a lot of motorcycle clubs that come through and ride the back roads. They come from all over the country.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Thank You!

Stumbled across your site searching for a place to put a "tag" for a little game we play on a motorcycle site. The site is a world wide site but there are forums for each country and region.
    There is a "tag" game going on for most States ours is "Garden State Tag O Rama" and it really shows the diversity of the state. Most tags are placed at historic sites or landmarks the lesser known the better as it makes the participants really think and search for where the tag is.
    Once you know the tag you are required to ride your motorcycle to the spot and duplicate the picture taken buy the person who placed the tag in that spot. I rode for the last tag in the sleet last night at dusk so I get to place the next tag and have chosen Hancock House in Salem County.
    There is a bit of competition not only between the individuals but also between North and South Jersey.

Here is a link to Garden State Tag o Rama... even if you don't ride it is fun to see where these guys have been and may give you more ideas for this site.

http://http://www.advrider.com/forum...d.php?t=378553

I ride a Dual Sport bike (On & Off Road) but the rules of the game say the tag must be accessible by street bikes also so everyone can play.

I have plenty of pictures I can post but I'll try and use my Photobucket account from now on as not to use too much of the sites bandwidth.

BTW I am "Lake Effect" on ADV Rider