Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost myself somewhere in Red Bank and NYC

Recent Resident

Default Lost myself somewhere in Red Bank and NYC

Hi there peepz, I wanted to come up with a catchy header for this thread, but basically let me tell you what my deal is, I am moving to work in Red Bank area in about 2 months, I haven't lived in NJ before, spent some time in NYC, but mostly lived in Boston before on the east coast part.

So this is going to be my real second time on the east coast, and since our office is going to be somewhere in Red Bank area, I am searching nearby residential areas, or cities close to my work,

but the catch is, I don't wanna be too far from NYC, specially for weekend get aways (friends, girlfriends, etc. lol) so I have been spending lots of time on the map sites, looking into routes, town, regions between red bank and Manhattan.

I am 25 years old, pretty sociable guy, mostly into jazz and music in my spare time, so I like the whole city urban lifestyle, lived in big cities most of my life Hong Kong, Istanbul, Los Angeles, Prague (main reason I wanna be close to NYC) also I prefer residential apartment buildings, than a house in peaceful town...

Obviously I am looking for a casual, relaxed neighborhood, with nothing too expensive in terms or living standards. I stayed with a friend back in 99 in Hoboken very close to Manhattan (I think we could take path train to the city) however Red bank is too far from Hoboken to commute to work everyday

anyways, maybe I am bladdering... but You know you can never get the 100% of what you desire, but I have a feeling about NJ, I think she is gonna be good to me...

The other thingie is traffic, I have no idea about traffic routes (jams) between red bank, NJ and manhattan area, but as I said I am looking into places in between to cut the duration on the road to half for both of my locations.

so any cool regions, towns, cities, that I should look for more specifically,
    any kinda help to this up and coming resident of NJ would be highly appreciated indeed!!! I am couting on all kinds of different ideas from you peepz...

thank you very much for reading and in advance..

cheerz,

Arda

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I'll have to look further at this, or maybe someone else will also be able to help. I hope however that you will be actually spending some of your recreation time in NJ. New Jersey also has a lot of things to do and has great things to do in it's cities. You actually don't have to go in NYC to go to good restaurants - unless you actually like tourist traps (Little Italy) or over priced restaurants (Times Square). The Newark Museum for instance is one of the best museums in the country and has the largest collection of Tibetan Art in the world. The Zimmerli Museum in New Brunswick has the largest collection of dissident Soviet art in the world. I hope that when you move here you will explore your new home state.

BTW - Redbank is one of the "birthplaces" of Jazz.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

Jersey Devil thanks for the reply indeed mate,

you are right, I will definetly look into discovering my new home state as soon as i move out there and settle, for me it just seems too distant now you know how things can go hectic, when you are leaving a place and moving into a totally new place, new country, new job.

I would really appreciate some info on commuting scenarios, i mean should i be close to NYC, Hoboken or Newark area, or should I be close to Red Bank area, in which direction traffic is more of a problem? towards which cities I can search for a nice town, or at least reasonable but nice aparment building complexes for a bachelor in my age?

I dont know... as i said, any kinda insider info would be helpful at this point

thanks again matey

Arda

Quote Originally Posted by arda21
    Jersey Devil thanks for the reply indeed mate,

you are right, I will definetly look into discovering my new home state as soon as i move out there and settle, for me it just seems too distant now you know how things can go hectic, when you are leaving a place and moving into a totally new place, new country, new job.
    yeah I understand. Just wanted to point that out though. Too many people move here it seems and then don't explore NJ, they only go into NY and then never really have any idea what NJ has to offer.
    I would really appreciate some info on commuting scenarios, i mean should i be close to NYC, Hoboken or Newark area, or should I be close to Red Bank area, in which direction traffic is more of a problem?
    The traffic in the morning is generally going northward along the Garden State Parkway. However - in the summer southbound can be just as bad and in some ways worse. Traffic is going to be a mess around Newark, Jersey City and Hoboken in the mornings and in the evenings.
    towards which cities I can search for a nice town, or at least reasonable but nice aparment building complexes for a bachelor in my age?
    There are no city-type environments around Red Bank, other than Asbury Park. If I understand right, you are looking for more of the hoboken - red brick apartment style envrionment. I would suggest Asbury park, but that would be more for someone who is looking at being on the ground floor of a redeveloping city. Otherwise, I think the bst bet would be look from Perth Amboy, northward. Now you could look at New Brunswick, which is very nice, has great theaters, restaurants, museums and is really a nice small city. It is also home to Rutgers University. That would just depend on how far you are willing to commute, but actually - I think Hoboken and Jersey City would be just as far to commute from. I would seriously give New Brunswick a look though and map out the distance (although Rt 18 can be a mess going through east Brunswick)
    I dont know... as i said, any kinda insider info would be helpful at this point
    I hope this helps you out, I'm not that familair with the Red Bank area, it's mostly shore communities though. Red Bank itself is nice, but byt he sounds of it, I don't think it's the environment you are looking for. I would check out red Bank though and see what you think.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

To get to Ny from redbank is easy. You can shoot up Route 35 to the Parkway. Also their is a train Station in Little Silver that takes you right into Manhatten in less than an hour. You can also drive up to South Amboy and take the Ferry in.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Recent Resident

guys thank you for lots of points and issues concerning about routes and town options around the area.. i am totally reading maps and trying to find out about cities nowadays...

but tomorrow i am visiting the most beautiful city in europe before i leave this continent; PRAGUE...

I need to have lots of great czech beer and hopefully meet some fine ladiez!!

i will be back to this forum in about a week...

New Brunswick is a town i am looking into, but what 'davegering' said is also interesting, being close to South Amboy and thinking about to Ferry option.

well i am sure ferry times isn't as frequent as path train via hoboken, and if i remember correctly you can take back the path train from NYC pretty late like last one around 3 am to come back from NYC to New Jersey.

Jerseydevil, I will be spending most of my time in New Jersey, so state dollars are staying in my friend!! thats for sure.. but you have to give some credit to me, I got some old mates from uni living in NYC area.. so I gotto visit them time to time!!! specially in the first phase of my life out there and yes, as soon as I settle in to a nice area, maybe they will be visiting me as well!!!!

how is that?

thanks for all the help, i will be following this thread when I come back hopefully in one piece from Prague..

ciao for now

Arda

guys thank you for lots of points and issues concerning about routes and town options around the area.. i am totally reading maps and trying to find out about cities nowadays...

but tomorrow i am visiting the most beautiful city in europe before i leave this continent; PRAGUE...

I need to have lots of great czech beer and hopefully meet some fine ladiez!!

i will be back to this forum in about a week...
    I hope you have a great time!
    New Brunswick is a town i am looking into, but what 'davegering' said is also interesting, being close to South Amboy and thinking about to Ferry option.

well i am sure ferry times isn't as frequent as path train via hoboken, and if i remember correctly you can take back the path train from NYC pretty late like last one around 3 am to come back from NYC to New Jersey.
    yeah - train service in NJ is nearly 24 hours a day. Basically the Northeast Corridor line shuts down for only 2 - 3 hours a night. I think the last train is around 2:00am and then the first train is about 4:30am. I'm not sure about ferry service. I know that the NY Water Taxi service between lower Manhattan and Liberty State Park or Hoboken is non-existant after 8:00.
    Jerseydevil, I will be spending most of my time in New Jersey, so state dollars are staying in my friend!! thats for sure.. but you have to give some credit to me, I got some old mates from uni living in NYC area.. so I gotto visit them time to time!!! specially in the first phase of my life out there and yes, as soon as I settle in to a nice area, maybe they will be visiting me as well!!!!

how is that?
    This is MUCH better. I will now allow you to move into the state. Let me stamp your New JERSEY passport. As for your NY friends, I guess not even I can expect you to give them up. But in the off chance, would you consider it? As for them visiting you - they BETTER visit you! If you're going to bring your money to NY - they better bring some of their money to New Jersey (and LOTS of it). I wonder - did you read my rants in other threads about New Jerseyans taking their money and spending it in New York, instead of investing it in their home economy of New Jersey?
    thanks for all the help, i will be following this thread when I come back hopefully in one piece from Prague..
    I hope you come back in one piece, sure you will and I hope you have a really great time. Side note - have you ever gone to Sweden? See you when you come back!

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

i m back, it is been 5 days since i am back from prague, and i am still out of my element. guys; prague is an unbelievable place, it just dont make no sense, the girls, the beer, then nightlife, it is like a different planet.

i would live there if i had a choice... except after september it gets real cold till almost may. so almost 6 months of total winter is too much (I HOPE NJ IS NOT LIKE THAT!!!)

jerseydevil, I did read your post about the tax money man!! yes indeeddd

i didnt want to be too clueless about this forum, so i read some of the posts.

you guys have been helpful.

now i wanted to tell you that the place of my office is set, it is going to be eatontown area. so it is gonna be a bit further south than Red bank i think.

but anyways, i am looking into different cities, or towns, one quick question though; when you said 'Northeast Corridor line' you meant underground metro (path train?) into New york city frm NJ? i just remember hoboken stop pavonia court or something (thats where i stayed when i was there about 6 years ago) it was only one stop from NYC, took 10 minutes to get there, but of course i live further southwest frm hoboken area, i would need to check out how far the path? train go... i will try to search for new jersey - new york public transportation web pages for info on this.

anyways, it is 80 percent chance that i am moving to NJ!

so i will keep you guys updated with pleasure, i will be there late october, early november.

thanks again for all your input.

i m back, it is been 5 days since i am back from prague, and i am still out of my element. guys; prague is an unbelievable place, it just dont make no sense, the girls, the beer, then nightlife, it is like a different planet.
    Glad you had a good time and that you made it back in one piece.
    i would live there if i had a choice... except after september it gets real cold till almost may. so almost 6 months of total winter is too much (I HOPE NJ IS NOT LIKE THAT!!!)
    Nope - for the most part New Jersey isn't like that. It;s generally cold between December and the beginning of March, but then it also depends on which part of the state you are in. The mountains are obviously a bit colder than the southern and shore sections.
    now i wanted to tell you that the place of my office is set, it is going to be eatontown area. so it is gonna be a bit further south than Red bank i think.
    Eatontown isn't a bad area and I highly recommend shopping at Wegmans in Ocean, which is a little bit further south. It still may not bethe area you wish to live, since you are looking for a city type apartment. But there is easy access to the train at Long Branch on the North Jersey Coast Line.
    but anyways, i am looking into different cities, or towns, one quick question though; when you said 'Northeast Corridor line' you meant underground metro (path train?) into New york city frm NJ? i just remember hoboken stop pavonia court or something (thats where i stayed when i was there about 6 years ago) it was only one stop from NYC, took 10 minutes to get there, but of course i live further southwest frm hoboken area, i would need to check out how far the path? train go... i will try to search for new jersey - new york public transportation web pages for info on this.
    To answer your question about the Northeast Corridor Line, it's the main rail line between Trenton to Newark and into NYC. NJ is full of rail lines managed by NJ Transit We have eight main rail lines (with various branches) - Northeast Corridor Line, North Jersey Coast Line, Raritan Valley Line, Morristown Line, Monthclair-Boonton Line, Bergen County Line, Pascack Valley Line, and the Atlantic City Line. You can check out the NJ Transit rail map. NJ Transit also manages the various Light Rail systems in New Jersey as well as the Newark Subway system and all the bus routes. NJ has an extensive public transportation system, although it's not always the most efficient.
    anyways, it is 80 percent chance that i am moving to NJ!
    I'm sure youll enjoy it once you discover it's many things to do. There are unique cultures throughout New Jersey, so I would recommend exploring it from north to south. There are a ton of outdoor activities also, if yu like kayaking or hiking or any of that sort of thing.
    so i will keep you guys updated with pleasure, i will be there late october, early november.

thanks again for all your input.
    Anytime. Let us know what you discover about each area and if you can post what you like or dislike about different areas, then you can help others who are considering moving to the area.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

ok I have one quick question, i was looking into the areas close to my future office (eatontown) and between new york, and comparing it with this train map you sent which is great, I was confused;

there is new jersey coast line going into hoboken (and i am thinking i can get the metro underground to NYC from there.) on this new jersey coast line the towns i am looking into is i guess close to woodbridge, or on northeast corridor line new brunswick, edison or metuchen, OK the question is;

is this totally a underground metro line, light rail system? or old school slow train? i mean, when i was looking into new jersey transportation system, there is 'rail system' and 'light rail system', so 'light rail' means underground fast metro like the one from hoboken into new york? and this map is of light train stops?

you can see; a real rookie here as you can see, i practically dont know nothing about new jersey, and since i am not in the states, all i can do is read different infos on the internet.

you know i am just trying to get a 1 bedroom or studio place in a nice closed security apartment building complexes, in an area between eatontown and hoboken

i will be looking into these areas, and searching for rental rates in those areas to get an idea, i will be checking with you guys

ok I have one quick question, i was looking into the areas close to my future office (eatontown) and between new york, and comparing it with this train map you sent which is great, I was confused;

there is new jersey coast line going into hoboken (and i am thinking i can get the metro underground to NYC from there.) on this new jersey coast line the towns i am looking into is i guess close to woodbridge, or on northeast corridor line new brunswick, edison or metuchen, OK the question is;

is this totally a underground metro line, light rail system? or old school slow train? i mean, when i was looking into new jersey transportation system, there is 'rail system' and 'light rail system', so 'light rail' means underground fast metro like the one from hoboken into new york? and this map is of light train stops?

you can see; a real rookie here as you can see, i practically dont know nothing about new jersey, and since i am not in the states, all i can do is read different infos on the internet.
    No problem. What you are calling the "metro" is the PATH train, which goes from Hoboken to NY, or various cities actually within NJ to NY. The metro is the NY subway, which is completely seperate from the PATH system.

The Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines are regular trains - above ground. They run similar to amtrak - and run on the same rails as amtrak - but are managed by NJ. They are fast trains, except they're slowed down by the number of stops they have to make. Lightrail is above ground and is modern trains - similar to trolleys - they run on rails through the streets, as well as standard rail lines. Except for the Newark Subway, NJ does not have any underground rail lines, except when they go under the Hudson into NY.

BTW - the NJ trains all go directly into NY's Penn Station. You don't need to get off any of NJ's trains to get into NY, although you do have to switch trains at Long Branch or Newark on the North Jersey Coast Line if you take a train south of Long Branch (I believe this is because Penn Station doens't allow deisel trains and the trains are diesel south of Long Branch station)
    you know i am just trying to get a 1 bedroom or studio place in a nice closed security apartment building complexes, in an area between eatontown and hoboken

i will be looking into these areas, and searching for rental rates in those areas to get an idea, i will be checking with you guys
    I would probably stick closer to central NJ near where you will be working. You'll have to go to work everyday, but not go to NY everyday. It's easy enough to get into NY from pretty much anywhere. I would seriously look at New Brunswick although it's still bit of a commute to Eatontown.

I hope this helps.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

thanks for the reply again, you are right about your conclusion in the last paragraph, i should not live more than half an hour away from eatontown somehow, but i guess it can be towards northern part, with somehow convinient transportation into NY.

with reasonable rent for 1 bedroom (not more than 800-900$) in a reasonable nice and safe apartment complex.

do you think thats possible...

i will continue looking into new brunswick area, as it shows up 40 minutes frm my work, and 50 minutes away from NYC.

1-but what is east brunswick, and spotswood like which is a little closer to eatontown?

2-or metuchen and edison areas?, (though i heard metuchen is an expensive area to live, is this rumor valid you reckon?) which are the exact half way point between my work and NYC. 45 minutes to each. i am also looking into further south towards my work, like South River area...

you know what man, i am started to grow a little fear when the times is getting closer day by day to end of october, thinking how i dont got no clue about a region that i may spend most of my productive ages...

Recent Resident

how is the traffic you reckon in weekdays in;

from hoboken area getting on 'New Jersey Turnpike' south, then changing to 'Garden State Pkwy' south west into Eatontown, it shows up exactly 50 miles distance one way on google maps, which calculates for exactly 1 hour of driving one way.

however is it really 1 hour??? i will be going towards south to eatontown everyday, and coming back after work around 6 pm upto north back to hoboken...

i am thinking the traffic is better than the other way around (people going to work towards north in the mornings, and back to south during evenings after work -- this is totally out of my own logic)

the reason i came up with this post now all of a sudden because some people i chatted said hoboken is really my kinda area, and if it is really only 1 hour in the morning, 1-hour in the evening, all i gotta decide if i can make the 2 hour drive everyday for work.

Right now I make 3 hour drive everyday for work (1,5 hour morning + 1,5 hour evening) where I live.

of course i would prefer half an hour drive, but if i really consider hoboken, i wanna check with you about traffic congestion in weekdays towards eatontown.

i hope you have an idea at least

thanks again

with reasonable rent for 1 bedroom (not more than 800-900$) in a reasonable nice and safe apartment complex.

do you think thats possible...
    Yes - I think that is possible. Just a matter of finding the place.
    i will continue looking into new brunswick area, as it shows up 40 minutes frm my work, and 50 minutes away from NYC.

1-but what is east brunswick, and spotswood like which is a little closer to eatontown?
    I'm not familair with Spotswood, but East Brunswick is basically a suburb of New Brunswick. There are apartment complexes, but it's not a city envronment at all.
    2-or metuchen and edison areas?, (though i heard metuchen is an expensive area to live, is this rumor valid you reckon?) which are the exact half way point between my work and NYC. 45 minutes to each. i am also looking into further south towards my work, like South River area...
    These areas are actualy quite large and it depends on which area you are referring to. My mother grew up in Edison only a short way from the Edison Train Station. It's more suburban there with some brick apartment buildings.
    you know what man, i am started to grow a little fear when the times is getting closer day by day to end of october, thinking how i dont got no clue about a region that i may spend most of my productive ages...
    It's normal to be moving to a new location, especially when you have no idea what the area is like. The best way to look at is if the area doesn't work out for you - there is the ability to always move to a better location.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

thanks dude, really appreciate your replies, i have been an extended headache recently ehhe.. to my very last message, you would realize that i got back looking into hoboken area, which is 50 miles northern from eatontown, because of fear of surrounded by a suburban area, i have never lived in such environment, i grew up in crowded and narrow streets of a huge city called istanbul, which is a bit like a mix of mexico city crowd with athens outlooks and a little bit of european touch, and then lived in Hong Kong after I was 15, about 100 people in one side of the traffic lights, going across the road on green light, and then some european cities i have lived for very short period of times like London and Prague on holidays, while was studying in downtown area of Boston (right across Boston commons in the middle of the city) and then came Los Angeles, living in west hollywood next door to sunset boulevard. so now, a real suburban setting is freaking me out. maybe thats why it is the fear of totally getting bored or uneasy if i find myself in a aparment building without a scenery of large buildings around me.

it is usually the opposite for my mates grew up in suburban areas of the states, and they get uneasy when they move into big cities. for me regular sounds of sirens are a real sign that i am actually living in a place that i am used to.

i know it is kind of strange, but i guess i am used to it.

i really think if i end up taking hoboken, going southbound to eatontown is not gonna take more than 1 hours... i will try to find people online living in the area to ask about the traffic. and then i am calculating gas money everyday if i make 100 miles per day, is it still around 3 dollars per gallons now in the states, in New Jersey? probably a car makes 33 miles per galloon so i will end up spending about 9 dollars per day for going to and coming back from work if i live in hoboken. which would make 180 dollars gas money per month...

anyways.... is it still around 3 dollars per galloon?

too many questions as always... but i think my post is gonna be helpful for future references.

how is the traffic you reckon in weekdays in;

from hoboken area getting on 'New Jersey Turnpike' south, then changing to 'Garden State Pkwy' south west into Eatontown, it shows up exactly 50 miles distance one way on google maps, which calculates for exactly 1 hour of driving one way.

however is it really 1 hour??? i will be going towards south to eatontown everyday, and coming back after work around 6 pm upto north back to hoboken...

i am thinking the traffic is better than the other way around (people going to work towards north in the mornings, and back to south during evenings after work -- this is totally out of my own logic)

the reason i came up with this post now all of a sudden because some people i chatted said hoboken is really my kinda area, and if it is really only 1 hour in the morning, 1-hour in the evening, all i gotta decide if i can make the 2 hour drive everyday for work.

Right now I make 3 hour drive everyday for work (1,5 hour morning + 1,5 hour evening) where I live.

of course i would prefer half an hour drive, but if i really consider hoboken, i wanna check with you about traffic congestion in weekdays towards eatontown.

i hope you have an idea at least

thanks again
    I have to say I really don't have much of an idea on this. I wonder if Dve may have a better idea or beatman. Hoboken is north of major cities - Newark and Jersey City for instance and with them comes congestion. You will have to go through the traffic that is going into these cities most likely. BUt I have no idea how bad it an be. Once you are out of the northern New Jersey Metro area, you shouldn't experience as much traffic going south bound (except in the summer when you will experience tourism traffic going down to the shore).

What does Hoboken itself have that people you know are recommending that to you? I know it has a ton of restaurants and they do have festivals. But I'm trying to get a idea of what you are looking for. I know a city atmosphere with city-style apartments. Access to NY to visit friends and easy commute to Eatontown.

New Jersey Proud!

thanks dude, really appreciate your replies, i have been an extended headache recently ehhe.. to my very last message, you would realize that i got back looking into hoboken area, which is 50 miles northern from eatontown, because of fear of surrounded by a suburban area, i have never lived in such environment, i grew up in crowded and narrow streets of a huge city called istanbul, which is a bit like a mix of mexico city crowd with athens outlooks and a little bit of european touch, and then lived in Hong Kong after I was 15, about 100 people in one side of the traffic lights, going across the road on green light, and then some european cities i have lived for very short period of times like London and Prague on holidays, while was studying in downtown area of Boston (right across Boston commons in the middle of the city) and then came Los Angeles, living in west hollywood next door to sunset boulevard. so now, a real suburban setting is freaking me out. maybe thats why it is the fear of totally getting bored or uneasy if i find myself in a aparment building without a scenery of large buildings around me.

it is usually the opposite for my mates grew up in suburban areas of the states, and they get uneasy when they move into big cities. for me regular sounds of sirens are a real sign that i am actually living in a place that i am used to.
    That's sort of odd, because I grew up in Bricktown and then Kendall Park. I lived for several months in Chicago while on a contract and the frst time I saw Chicago - I thought "this is it?" I don't really think of Chicago as much of a cty because all cities I previously compared to NY. When I went to LA, I also didn't think of that as being much of a city either - even along the Sunset Blvd. LA s 99% suburb with a five block city area. I now of course realize that no city can compare to NY and so I accept cities for what they are.

That being said, I think New Brunswick wouldn't be a bad place for you actually. It's growing and they are really improving it. If you are concerned about no sirens, that's not a problem at all there. To me - New Brunswick is much easier to get around to things.If you want to go to the mountains - it's easy drive, if you want to go to the shore, again easy drive, even if you want to go to NY or Phladelphia - it's easy to take the train. The city has many good restaurants and theaters. It's home to Rutgers University. They are just building a convention center and they are redeveloping Rt 18 and putting in a riverside park. If I had to rate cities in New Jersey - New Brunswick would have to be my favorite. However, it's not a city that you feel shut in. It's a brighter city, at least the downtown area, but its still not very big either. I believe they were just completing a new apartment hgh rise right next to the train station too. I really have to get up there soon again.

BTW - You're not being a headache. This information can help out a lot of people and I know that moving is a big deal. I often wonder if I should have moved to Toms River or not. Central NJ for me is the ideal location because of the transportatin routes and ease of getting around the state. Now instead i live 7 miles from the ocean, which is nice - just as long as I go there.
    i know it is kind of strange, but i guess i am used to it.
    It's natural. People feel uncomfortable getting out of their elelment. I've lived all over the country, from NJ, to Chicago to the applacian mountains of West Virginia, to small town Indiana (where it took an hour just to go to a good restaurant or even a mall), as well as the northwest in Portland Oregon. Even though I know I can survive and live in all those areas, I could NOT wait until I was in the center of everything - New Jersey. There is just so much to do in this state, and so much of it is close by. Too bad not enough New Jerseyans really eplore their own state. It wasnt until we moved that I appreciated what NJ had. I'll never make that mistake again though.
    [quote]
    i really think if i end up taking hoboken, going southbound to eatontown is not gonna take more than 1 hours... i will try to find people online living in the area to ask about the traffic. and then i am calculating gas money everyday if i make 100 miles per day, is it still around 3 dollars per gallons now in the states, in New Jersey? probably a car makes 33 miles per galloon so i will end up spending about 9 dollars per day for going to and coming back from work if i live in hoboken. which would make 180 dollars gas money per month...

anyways.... is it still around 3 dollars per galloon?
    It's about 2.60 - 2.70 right now. Send a PM to Beatman - h might be able to help you - he lives in Newark and then Dave - who works at the Jersey Store in Newark Liberty International Airport may also be able to help you with the traffic. I used to always took the train, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the driving patterns in that area.

too many questions as always... but i think my post is gonna be helpful for future references.
    No problems on the questions. Just remember - New Jersey is NOT a surburb of NY. Newark is the thrid oldest city in the US, after Boston and New York.

New Jersey Proud!

My nephew lives in Hoboken but he has 2 roomates because it is expensive. The night life is great but their is no place to park. NY is easily accesable by Path train bus or ferry.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    My nephew lives in Hoboken but he has 2 roomates because it is expensive. The night life is great but their is no place to park. NY is easily accesable by Path train bus or ferry.
    It is expensive.

Do you know how the traffic is going southbound on the turnpike in the morning and how it is going northbound in the evening? Hoboken is in the most congested area of the state, so I don't think it is much different between going north or south, but I'm just not sure.

New Jersey Proud!

South bound in the morning is not bad on the Turnpike. North bound in the evening it does get backe up around exit 15 for about 2 miles. It also depends on if something is going on at the Meadowlands. Exit 14 is one of the worst exits in New jersey because there is about 4 or 5 sub exist off a it. i would not recomend going that way even thou it is the most direct.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR