Thread: Affordable Living?

Tourist

Smile Affordable Living?

Hi!

I noticed there was a thread recently about where to find a good place to live for recent college grads. This poster was concerned with finding somewhere with a good night life.

Personally I am looking for advice on affordable living. I am going into teaching so I will not be able to afford a fancy smancy condo. Does anyone have any suggestions on what areas of NJ are best for finding an apartment for under 1200 a month?

Also, does anyone have any tips on utilities? I will be renting for the first time and I am trying to budget for utilities when I decide if I can afford an apartment.

Thanks!!!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Are you looking for a one bedroom under $1200/month? If so - then that isn't too hard to find, but of course that depends on where you want to live. Do you have any preference?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

actually i am looking for a 2 BR because I can afford the rent only if I am splitting with another person....

I see you live in Ewing now, at least thats what your location says. I would suggest looking at southern New Jersey, but then again, I'm not sure what their teacher requirements are. Finding a good place will require seeing where there is a shortage of teachers and then matching that up with affordable housing. You can probably get 2 bedrooms for under $1200/year almost anywhere in NJ, but the problem is they usually raise the rent each year, so you will have to look at that also.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Thank you for your replies.

Maybe I should take this angle....I have done extensive searching on forrent.com and apartments.com. Does anyone know of other places that I can look to find apartments ... maybe something that worked for them?

Also, does anyone have any guestimates as to what utilities tend to be like? I have never lived on my own and I can't really compare what my parents paid to what I will be paying since my apt will be smaller than their house.....

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by cp0421
    Thank you for your replies.
    No problem. I hope you will stay on board and continue to post about the many things you do in NJ after you move.
    Maybe I should take this angle....I have done extensive searching on forrent.com and apartments.com. Does anyone know of other places that I can look to find apartments ... maybe something that worked for them?
    I found it pretty hard to search for New Jersey apartments using apartments.com and other websites (they seem to be geared more to cities, I used them to find my apartment in Portland Oregon with no problem). What I up doing for NJ was I knew several locations I was interested in moving to - Toms River, Bricktown, Lakewood and the Trenton/Princeton/Plainsboro area, then I went on Google Maps and put in the location and then did a search for apartments. For instance - this is what I got when I searched for apartments in Toms River Then basically I either searched on the apartments themselves to see what they had on the net, or I called up and asked for prices and availability. This also helped a lot in determining what the actual location of the apartment was an how close it was to various things, such as shopping, etc.
    Also, does anyone have any guestimates as to what utilities tend to be like? I have never lived on my own and I can't really compare what my parents paid to what I will be paying since my apt will be smaller than their house.....
    That depends so much on the apartment. When I was in Plainsboro - the apartment was really well insolated. I covered up the air conditioning/heating unit with a blanket and did things to prevent drafts fromt he door and I never had to turn on my heat all winter long. During the summer, I had a large fan and used to put it in the sliding glass door and that cooled down the apartment to where the only time I had to use the airconditioner was during August. This saved a lot on my energy bill. It seems if I used the air for an entire month - my bill was about $100+, but then during fall and spring it would go down to about $30 - 40.

My apartment in Toms River has all the untilities, except electricity, included. The thing is - the apartment is gas, so it has a gas stove and oven, which is what costs a lot to run also, but now that's inluded. I've been using the air conditioner a lot in this apartment, but that's only because I don't have a fan yet (of course this past month, I would have been using the air anyway ) When you call the apartment complex, they should be able to give you an estimate of utility costs.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Lightbulb ah-HA!

Once again, thank you so much. I will test out the google strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    When you call the apartment complex, they should be able to give you an estimate of utility costs.
    That is a really good idea. For some reason I didn't think of it!!! HAHA.

Thanks again!

Recent Resident

You can also check out the listings on NJ.com classified network and Craigslist. If you look at Weichertrents.com, they have tons of houses for rent. They are surprizingly affordable and some are very nice.

Tourist

Default lol

I just posted about GardenStateApartments.com, so.. if it's any help to anybody on this thread, go check that site out. I'm such an advocate for that site, they oughta pay me. Haha.

<3 Steph