Thread: PNC Bank & Customer Service

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default PNC Bank & Customer Service

What happened to banks being a place you can go get money instead of them worrying about always taking it? Let me first state that based on my experience with dealing with PNC Bank with Princeton Battlefield Society - PNC is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Anyway, today I went to the grocery store and then as I was walking out I remembered I needed to get chnage for the laundry machines (this apartment doesn't have washer and dryer right in the apartment). Anyway, most grocery stores have banks in them now, so I looked and there was PNC. I went up to the counter and the teller asked if she could help me. I said - 'yes. I would like to get $5 in quaters". She asked if I had an account with them. I said "no I didnt'. She said "sorry, but we can only do it for customers". I told her that this is one of the reasons why I am NOT a customer. I'm sure I could have pulled the "Princeton Battlefield Society thing, but why should I. All I was asking the frigging bank to do was take 5 singles from me and give me the quarters.

Anyway, I walked away and she was not very happy with what I said. I saw that the cashier who I had checked out with was open, so I went up to him and asked him if he could give me quarters for 5 singles. He said yeah. I told him about the episode with PNC and he said they're a bunch of assholes and that he had an account with them and ended up closing it. He said that he wasn't supposed to give change but he would. I thanked him, looked over at the PNC bank "front" and the teller was leaning out looking at me - if my hands weren't full I would have waved to her.

This is why I refused to get a PNC Bank account when I was lookng for banks. I had dealt with the same crap in Plainsboro where the Princeton Battlefield account is located. Basedd on my experience there, I didn't even bother looking at opening an account there. I opened up an account with First Washington State Bank and then when I moved down here - I opened up another account with Sovereign Bank. It was because of the friendliness of the tellers at Sovereign Bank that made me open up my account. While I was moving, even though I didn't have an account with them, I needed to get Money Orders for the apartment. They treated me as if I was a customer and were extremely nice. Maybe PNC Bank just has a different view on customer service - unless you are a CURRENT customer, then you really don't matter - whereas Sovereign Bank views everyone who walks in the door as a POTENTIAL customer and hence treats them with respect.

I'm big on customer service. I have boycotted Wal-mart for years and years because they don't look at shoppers as customers, but potential shop-lifters. I had my bags searched so many times walking out of Wal-Mart and then there waass one episode where I wanted to buy a DVD and then continue shopping, but couldn't because they wanted me to purchase it in the electonics section, before doing the rest of my shopping (the line was 10 people deep and then I was going to have to wait in ANOTHER line). I finally just fed up - so I wrote a letter to the manager.

On the other side of the coin, I have kept my bank in Indiana because of their customer service. I don't get hit with a lot of fees, whenever there were any problems, I was able to talk to them and work out things. Now that I found Sovereign Bank, I may close my bank out in Indiana.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Funny I've had problems with Sovereign (where my accounts are now ) - maybe its depends on the neighborhood and who they hire to work inside.

There is a Commerce Bank opening up near me soon and I will switch to them I think- No charge Coinstar - still free checking - open all day Saturday and open late during the week ( all week not just one night ) and till about noon on Sundays.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile banks

Hi Jersey Devil, I do not know about PNC, My son uses Wacovia. I am not sure that is spelled right. Anyway I have been with Bank of America for almost 11 years. They have done right by me. I do not know how many BOA's are on the east coast but they are increasing. I was delighted when a Fleet in Marlton became a Bank of America. You might check it out if you happen to see one. Marianita

The problem with banks is all the small ones are being taken over. I use Independence bank which is on the corner of where i live but as of next week it becomes Soverein
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default banks

Hi Dave, Are you going to continue to use that bank when it becomes soverein? If you are happy with their services it may be a good idea. We have a lot of banks here considering the size of this town but I like mine because it is nationwide and BOA's are everywhere, even in the small towns. I feel right at home at the one in Marlton. It is so convenient too. Take care, Marian ita

I will use it because it is only 1 block from where i live
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default banks

Hi Dave, Convenience means alot especially when you work and are busy. I live in a small town and there are alot of banks here .I always say that I will stay with my bank as long as they continue to do right by me. I have never had any problems. My son did when he lived in Los Angeles area and he promptly went to another bank. I have been more fortunate and received the same fine service at the Marlton branch. Infact the Marlton branch got their training from California and they told me at my bank that they were proud of their Marlton branch. Take care. Marianita