Thread: CONFUSED!!!

Tourist

Default CONFUSED!!!

Hi,
    I currently live in Texas. My husband works for Bristol Myers Squibb and it looks like will be relocated to Plainsboro. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about Plainsboro or any of the surrounding towns (schools, crime, taxes,etc). He will be there next month and thought he would start looking at some different areas, if we had some ideas. I have read everything I can find on the web but you can only get so much information. We live in a small, small town with a small school. I would appreciate any information. I am so lost!!!!!

Thanks

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Hi,
    I currently live in Texas. My husband works for Bristol Myers Squibb and it looks like will be relocated to Plainsboro. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about Plainsboro or any of the surrounding towns (schools, crime, taxes,etc). He will be there next month and thought he would start looking at some different areas, if we had some ideas. I have read everything I can find on the web but you can only get so much information. We live in a small, small town with a small school. I would appreciate any information. I am so lost!!!!!

Thanks
    Wow - well you're in serious luck - I lived there for 7 years until this past March/April. I also went to school in Princeton and grew up in Kendall Park. I am very familiar with the area. Is he going to be working at Bristol Meyers Squibb in Princeton or the location in Plainsboro on Scudders Mill Rd?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Wow - well you're in serious luck - I lived there for 7 years until this past March/April. I also went to school in Princeton and grew up in Kendall Park. I am very familiar with the area. Is he going to be working at Bristol Meyers Squibb in Princeton or the location in Plainsboro on Scudders Mill Rd?

He'll be at the Plainsboro location....I think! You would think I would know for sure! Next month he will be in Plainsboro to teach/train. He is also looking at getting into the marketing side so I am not sure if whatever he chooses is in the same location or not.I'll just say more than likely Plainsboro. I also wanted to say thanks for replying. I posted this on another message board site and no one would answer me.

He'll be at the Plainsboro location....I think! You would think I would know for sure! Next month he will be in Plainsboro to teach/train. He is also looking at getting into the marketing side so I am not sure if whatever he chooses is in the same location or not.I'll just say more than likely Plainsboro.
    Princeton borders Plainsboro and the Princeton location isn't too far away, about 15 - 20 minutes.
    I also wanted to say thanks for replying. I posted this on another message board site and no one would answer me.
    No problem - I'm glad I can help. If you have any questions let me know. I will try to answer some of your questions now though.

First let me say - I really did love Plainsboro, it is very clean, and very tree friendly. It has a park with basketball, playground, soccer fields, baseball fields, etc. There is also a large wildlife refuge area and another wooded/park area with a lake. The schools - at least the high schools - are the tops in the state. I believe last year, both Plainsboro high schools were first in second as rated by NJ Monthly. Plainsboro also just built a beautiful "Village Town Center" with a ice cream parlor and many other stores. It's mixed use.

Have you ever been to NJ? The Plainsboro area has a lot to do and is central to anything in NJ. Princeton University is located just 10 minutes away, there are theaters, museums, historic sites and old colonial towns, such as Cranbury. Plainsoboro is about 1 1/2 hours south of the mountains and 1 hour north of the beach (or the Jersey Shore).

One thing, the cops are terrible at night in Plainsboro. I have a thread about it here. That was the one downside to Plainsboro, beside the cost of the apartment. I have to find some pics, but I know I do have some pics of Plainsboro around.

There is one thing I want to suggest though as far as grocery shopping goes. Do NOT go to Super Fresh for your main shopping, make the drive to Wegmans in Pinceton/Lawrenceville. It's 20 minutes south on Rt 1. Wegmans has been featured on the food network. There you can get awesome European breads that they cook in the wood burning brick oven. Their produce and cheese selection is incredible. If you have the need to cook with cactus leaves, you can get them at Wegmans. Also, believe it or not - Wegmans is actually cheaper than Super Fresh.

As for crime, this area it's pretty much non-existant. The cops do pull over a lot of people at night, mostly to do drunk driving and drug checks. As i said - that was the thing I hated. I hardly drink and I have never done drugs, but if I went to a late movie, chances are I was getting pulled over once I hit the Plainsboro border. I never got pulled over before midnight.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Princeton borders Plainsboro and the Princeton location isn't too far away, about 15 - 20 minutes.

No problem - I'm glad I can help. If you have any questions let me know. I will try to answer some of your questions now though.

Frst let me say - I really did love Plainsboro, it is very clean, and very tree friendly. It has a park with basketball, playground, soccer fields, baseball fields, etc. There is also a large wildlife refuge area and another wooded/park area with a lake. The schools - at least the high schools - are the tops in the state. I believe last year, both Plainsboros high schools were first in second as rated by NJ Monthly. Plainsboro also just built a beautiful "Village Town Center" with a ice cream parlor and many other stores. It's mixed use.

Have you ever been to NJ? The Plainsboro area has a lot to do and is central to anything in NJ. Princeton University is located just 10 minutes away, there are theaters, museums, historic sites and old colonial towns, such as Cranbury. Plainsobor is about 1 1/2 hours south of the mounts and 1 hour north of the beach (or the Jersey Shore).

One thing, the cops are terrible at night in Plainsboro. I have a thread about it here. That was the one downside to Plainsboro, beside the cost of the apartment. I have to find some pics, but I know I do have some pics of Plainsboro around.

There is one thing I want to suggest though as far as grocery shopping goes. Do NOT go to Super Fresh for your main shopping, make the drive to Wegmans in Pinceton/Lawrenceville. It's 20 minutes south on Rt 1. Wegmans has been featured on the food network. There you can get awesome European breads that they cook in the wood burning brick oven. They're produce and cheese selection is incredible. If you have the need to cook with cactus leaves, you can get them at Wegmans. Also, believe it or not - Wegmans is atually cheaper than Super Fresh.

As for crime, this area it's pretty much non-existant. The cops do pull over a lot of people at night, mostly to do drunk driving and drug checks. As i said - that was the thing I hated. I hardly drink and I have never done drugs, but if I went to a late movie, chancesare I was getting pulled over once I hit the Plainsboro border. I never got pulled over before midnight.

Thanks so much. No, I have never been to NJ. I may fly up with my husband and stay the weekend when he comes. I have lived in Texas my whole life and haven't ventured out of the state much. NJ sounds like there is a lot to do and looks pretty in the pictures I have seen. I am excited but scared out of mind too. The beach sounds appealing! My oldest daughter has a friend that moved from Toms River the passed school year to live with her aunt. She always had good things to say about NJ and was excited to go back home when she left. What is the weather like there? Thanks for all you time and I will be asking more questions!

Thanks so much. No, I have never been to NJ. I may fly up with my husband and stay the weekend when he comes. I have lived in Texas my whole life and haven't ventured out of the state much. NJ sounds like there is a lot to do and looks pretty in the pictures I have seen. I am excited but scared out of mind too. The beach sounds appealing! My oldest daughter has a friend that moved from Toms River the passed school year to live with her aunt.
    This is really ironic, because I now live in Toms River. I also grew up in Bricktown which is just about 5 miles north of here. NJ does have a lot to do, and it easy to get around, except during rush hour mostly. I have lived in 6 states, so I know about the fear of moving and the unknown.
    She always had good things to say about NJ and was excited to go back home when she left. What is the weather like there? Thanks for all you time and I will be asking more questions!
    Right now it's hot obviously since we are in August and there is a heat wave. There is quite a bit of snow during the winter, which you probably have never really experienced, unless you have gone on skiing vacations or something. You can get up to 2 feet of snow in the winter here. The worst months for snow and cold is January and February, the hottest, generally July and August. I assume you are relatively used to the heat though, the cold might throw you a bit off. Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons though.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

This is really ironic, because I now live in Toms River. I also grew up in Bricktown which is just about 5 miles north of here. NJ does have a lot to do, and it easy to get around, except during rush hour mostly. I have lived in 6 states, so I know about the fear of moving and the unknown.

Right now it's hot obviously since we are in August and there is a heat wave. There is quite a bit of snow during the winter, which you probably have never really experienced, unless you have gone on skiing vacations or something. You can get up to 2 feet of snow in the winter here. The worst months for snow and cold is January and February, the hottest, generally July and August. I assume you are relatively used to the heat though, the cold might throw you a bit off. Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons though.
    That is Ironic! We really miss her. She made fun of the way we talked and us her. We sent her home though saying,"I'm fixin to go to the store." LOL.Yes I am use to the hot. Here it is cool, warm, hot and very hot. The snow sounds great. When it does snow here..very little..it barely covers the ground and is melted by the same day. What size are the schools in Plainsboro? I don't know if ya'll have ratings like 1A,2A,3A, etc. Would you recommend Plainsboro or are there other towns around there that would be better? I've read (message boards)Monmouth County was nice and had good schools but they never said what towns were nice. Plus I didn't know if the driving time would be too far from Plainsboro. We don't have traffic here ( one stop light town) and in Abilene (the next big town), their rush hour is 5 minutes long. I also read you have to pay to go to the beaches. Is that right or is it just certain ones?I am sorry I keep bugging you with all these questions!

That is Ironic! We really miss her. She made fun of the way we talked and us her. We sent her home though saying,"I'm fixin to go to the store." LOL.Yes I am use to the hot. Here it is cool, warm, hot and very hot. The snow sounds great. When it does snow here..very little..it barely covers the ground and is melted by the same day.
    You can have the snow stay around for generally abotu a week, it jst depends obviously. But you will have to get used to the snow in the winter time.
    What size are the schools in Plainsboro? I don't know if ya'll have ratings like 1A,2A,3A, etc. Would you recommend Plainsboro or are there other towns around there that would be better? I've read (message boards)Monmouth County was nice and had good schools but they never said what towns were nice. Plus I didn't know if the driving time would be too far from Plainsboro.
    I would recommend Plainsboro, both to live and for the schools. The high school is rather large - there are two of them and they both share with West Windsor. Here is some information on the West Windsor-Plainsboro High schools...
    West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North and South reflect the lifestyle of a community that takes pride in its continuing tradition of academic and cultural achievement. The richness of their academic programs, alternative options, and extracurricular activities expands learning beyond classroom boundaries. Each high school provides an educational environment that motivates students to learn and requires them to exercise imagination and
    sensibility in solving problems. Approximately 2,900 students may choose from over 150 courses offered in a program of studies that reflects a demanding and challenging curriculum. Close partnerships have been developed with area businesses of Princeton and the Route 1 research corridor, Educational Testing Service, James Forrestal Research Campus of Princeton University, and Princeton University. The high schools offer state-of- the-art resources and technology that allow faculty to provide interdisciplinary instruction with maximum flexibility. West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North and South each offers teams in 25 sports plus cheerleading and sponsors various student publications, acclaimed performing groups in vocal and instrumental music, academic teams, and over 30 clubs/activities devoted to specialized interests. Approximately 10 percent of the senior class earned National Merit semifinalist or commended scholar status. Traditionally, the West Windsor - Plainsboro Regional School District has the largest number of National Merit
    semifinalists in New Jersey. Approximately 93 percent of our graduates continue their education with 85 percent going on to four-year colleges. West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District boasts two excellent high schools: West Windsor- Plainsboro HS North (311232) and West Windsor-Plainsboro HS
    South (311277). A second high school was built to reduce class sizes and to provide more opportunities for our students. This profile contains the aggregate measures of both campuses, continuing to reflect why our high school community receives state and national recognition.

The population of West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North and South reflects the growing trend toward pluralism in American society. Students represent all major racial and cultural groups (55 percent White, 36 percent Asian, 5 percent African American, and 5 percent Hispanic). Our students speak 33 languages. The new students who enrolled in the high school for the 2004-2005 school term represent a multitude of countries and states. This diversity affords students excellent opportunities for intercultural understanding and provides them with a global view of world issues.
    For more information you can go to the West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District website.
    We don't have traffic here ( one stop light town) and in Abilene (the next big town), their rush hour is 5 minutes long.
    This area is a lot more built up than that, but you can easily get away by going to the D&R Canal State Park, and other places to get away. Plainsboro has about 20,000 people. YOu can look at various towns, but I know Plainsboro the best and I think it is a town that you can't go wrong in. Housing is expensive, but housing in all of cental New Jersey is expensive because of it's location, Princeton University and everything else.
    I also read you have to pay to go to the beaches. Is that right or is it just certain ones?
    It's only during tourist season (basically June to August) and it's certain beaches. Most beaches also have free beach days. I support beach tags. All our beaches are life guarded and cleaned, which it costs money. It's better for the people who are using the beaches pay for them, than rely on just NJ (our taxes are high enough as it is). We live in the center of 25% of the US population (Between Boston and Washington), we have a lot of tourists and they should support the upkeep of our beaches.
    I am sorry I keep bugging you with all these questions!
    You aren't bugging me, I'm just glad I can help. Just ask away and if there is anything I can't answer I will let you know. There is another member here, he lived in Toms River and worked in Bristol-Myers Squibb iin Plainsboro - Mithrandir. He does come on the messageboard still, he may also be able to help you out.

New Jersey Proud!