Thread: Classic literature

Recent Resident

Default Classic literature

Taking a brief look at my bookshelf, I have some Jane Austen, Brontė, Mark Twain, Dickens, Harper Lee..and I've read some more as well. Which classics have you read, and which ones do you enjoy? I've loved most classics that I've read.

Lady ***** of the Forest

Default Re: Classic literature

Quote Originally Posted by Lin
    Taking a brief look at my bookshelf, I have some Jane Austen, Brontė, Mark Twain, Dickens, Harper Lee..and I've read some more as well. Which classics have you read, and which ones do you enjoy? I've loved most classics that I've read.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    A review by Library Journal:
    In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be.