Thread: Three music categories that I enjoy listening

Default Three music categories that I enjoy listening

IMO there are three types of music that I listen to:
    1. Music with good lyrics,
    2. Music that is pleasing to the ear
    3. Music that has good lyrics and is pleasing to the ear

I generally listen to Rock & Roll or Classical music, but I am willing to listen to other types of music (at least once )

I enjoy most of the music from the early 80's (1980-85), though I usually listen to Rock & Roll stations.

Among my favorite musical groups are Pink Floyd, Rush, Beattles and Yes.

What types of music do other people enjoy listening on a daily basis?
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I like all kinds of music - except country. Generally I like alternative rock. I like Creed, Linkin Park, Blink 182, etc.

Recent Resident

I like alternative rock too, as well as R&B, hip hop, some pop, foreign music...different things. Lately I've been into Queen a lot.

I also like classic and alternative rock. My favorite bands are Yes, Styx, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, the Who, Beatles, and recently Jethro Tull and Queen too. I know it's really weird for my generation but I can't help it if I appreciate greatness. Teen bands don't seem to consider music an art form anymore.

I just downloaded MusicMatch to look deeper into these. I used to be more into power metal.

I do like The Beatles, fopr the most part. Especially Paul's stuff (Eleanor Rigby being my fav.)

New Jerseyan

What types of music do other people enjoy listening on a daily basis?[/QUOTE]

I listen mainly to classic rock, but I also try to keep up with the new stuff that's out there because I'm in a cover band and we're always looking for new material. However, it's VERY rare that I hear anything worth listening to these days.

Some of my fave bands are The Eagles, The Beatles, CCR, and The Stones. I also listen to country on occasion. I put on George Strait when I'm feeling blue or stressed out...I find his voice very calming.

Debbie
    http://www.sundogcountry.com

Default MUSIC

I also like the Beatles ( I was told I watched them on Ed Sullivan but I was 3) The Eagles, Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, But THE BOSS Still rules. Got 4th row seats to see him on NOV 16th at the Arena.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I also like the Beatles ( I was told I watched them on Ed Sullivan but I was 3) The Eagles, Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, But THE BOSS Still rules. Got 4th row seats to see him on NOV 16th at the Arena.
    Wow, 4th row...I'm so jealous! I hear he puts on an amazing show. I was thinking of seeing the Stones this time around, but I've already seen them three times, and I couldn't justify the ticket price to myself this time around.

Debbie
    SunDog
    http://www.sundogcountry.com

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default music

I like Christian music and soft music. Sometimes I am in the mood for faster music. As long as the lyrics are clean that is what matters. I enjoy contempory Christian and gospel, also Spanish music. I have a lot of CDs to listen to on the road. I imagine a good deal of my earnings goes into CDs but I need music in my life. lol. Marianita

Tourist

i was always told that you are eather a beatles or rolling stones man...i go for the latter. plus dylan, tom waits, and lately ani difranco back when she was still angry

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default music

I liked the Beatles when they were so popular. The music has changed over the years. There is alot of good music out and I like alot of it, whatever I feel in the mood for listening to. We were discussing music at work tonight when a new employee asked me if I liked the music she was listening to which was rap. She said the lyrics were clean and it was good, fine with me. Marianita

I'm abck...I mean, back.
    "What! Me, vain? How can you say that about such an awesome person?"

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile A music lover

I like several different categories of music. I generally choose a category according to what mood I feel like putting myself into.

My default style for everyday listening is the smooth jazz genre. I first discoverd that in L.A. with a station called "The Wave," continued with "The Oasis" in Dallas, had nothing like that in Wisconsin, and have once again resumed smooth jazz with a station called "The Sea Breeze" broadcasting from Miramar Beach/Destin, Florida. Smooth jazz has changed over the years. When I discoverd it they played a lot of the Rippingtons and Basia. Basia is a Polish singer who sings in English but sounds Portugese! Now they throw in a lot of soft rock and soul from the 70s and 80s. I liked the original California smooth jazz better.

I've always liked Bosa Nova music. (And don't anyone mention Edie Gormet's "Blame It On the Bosa Nova"! That is to Bosa Nova what "Joisey" is to New Jersey.) I never tire of anything written by Antonio Carlos Jobim. I like the sound of most Latin music though my Spanish is not good enough (and my Portugese is even worse) to understand much of the lyrics.

Growing up as the grandson and son of two Italian-Americans from Hudson County, I of course grew up in a family that was a House of Sinatra! Former N.J. Senator Robert Torricelli once said: "Growing up as an Italian in New Jersey there were three staples in my childhood: a picture of the Pope in the living room, a pot of tomato sauce simmering on the stove, and Frank Sinatra playing in the background." While we didn't have a picture of the Pope in the living room (just a crucifix in the bedrooms), the rest pretty much describes my childhood. When my father said "Put Frank on," no one had to ask "Frank who?"

If someone wants to get my 100 percent attention, they just have to play Frank singing "I've Got You Under My Skin," backed up by the Nelson Riddle orchestra. (Nelson Riddle was from Hackensack.)

Like most Baby Boomers, I grew up with Rock and Roll, and was partial to the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and the Beatles in high school. I liked Eric Clapton in his early blues-rock career and later on as he evolved. I also liked the Eagles and the Doobie Brothers later on. As I mentioned in another post, I discovered Springsteen late in the game. I wish his lyrics were a little more clear. (It's a generational thing: Sinatra, and even the Beatles, were crystal clear in their enunciation), but I enjoy his music. Though he has promoted Jersey much better than F.S., who seemed to turn his back on Hoboken, I also wish Bruce would have been a little more positive about life in Jersey. ("This town rips the bones from your back, it's a death trap, a suicide rap..." hardly makes anyone want to move to Monmouth County!) Still, his live concerts project excitement even in recordings; I wish I had been to one.

When I was in Texas I discovered a deceased musician named Stevie Ray Vaughn who did some great work. However, I did not care for the C&W. I used to joke that C&W music caused tornadoes! Did you ever notice, tornadoes only occur in areas where C&W music is popular?
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-21-2006 at 09:35 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi aeneas, Welcome back. I am also a baby boomer. I grew up with Elvis and little Stevie Wonder and people like that. It seems so long ago now. As for country music I enjoyed listening to Johnny Cash while growing up in Maryland. I really like Randy Travis. However, I like so much music including gospel and it just depends on how I feel I guess. The beach boys were my favorite. I have been listening to different groups on my satelite radio in my new vehicle which by the way may keep me from retiring anytime soon, lol, (the vehicle, that is.) Music is so much a part of my life but the funny thing is I do not like to hear it at work. Have you heard of Celine Dion? Now that is good music indeed. Take care. Marianita

My music choices are many .

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default three music catagories that I enjoy

Hi Jersey Warren, How have you been? I have added more music to my list that I enjoy. The grandkids listen to Hannah Montana and she is really good. I hear alot of country music at work. I hear so much different music that I sort of like everything now. lol.
    I know I said I would not retire but I semi retired. I transferred to a nearby facility and am on part time. I will get a ss check too. It is wonderful to feel rested for a change. lol. I am too young for full ss benefits but since I still work it is about the same amount of money but I can only earn $1,250.00 and get the check.
    By the way the grandkids changed my favorite satelite station and I could not find it right away so speaking of music I was listening to Mozart yesterday. LOL. I'm afraid I am not into the classics. I tried listening to it and it is too low key for me. I was getting sleepy. lol.
    I have learned to like music at work now. Since I work at a different facility (same company) it is quieter and I actually enjoy the music. Take care. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey Warren, How have you been? I have added more music to my list that I enjoy. The grandkids listen to Hannah Montana and she is really good. I hear alot of country music at work. I hear so much different music that I sort of like everything now. lol.
    I know I said I would not retire but I semi retired. I transferred to a nearby facility and am on part time. I will get a ss check too. It is wonderful to feel rested for a change. lol. I am too young for full ss benefits but since I still work it is about the same amount of money but I can only earn $1,250.00 and get the check.
    By the way the grandkids changed my favorite satelite station and I could not find it right away so speaking of music I was listening to Mozart yesterday. LOL. I'm afraid I am not into the classics. I tried listening to it and it is too low key for me. I was getting sleepy. lol.
    I have learned to like music at work now. Since I work at a different facility (same company) it is quieter and I actually enjoy the music. Take care. Marianita
    Hi Marianita.

Things have been great! We moved from N.W. Florida, 575 miles to Fort Myers in May. My wife, Martha, had surgery shortly afterwards (removal of parotid gland) and she had to stay out of the water until the incision healed. That finally happened and we went to the beach on Sanibel Island on Saturday. We'll be here, renting a condo owned by an old classmate from Don Bosco H.S. in New Jersey, until around Labor Day, when our new house should be finished.

There are many transplants from the Northeast, including New Jersey, in this part of Florida. The Publix supermarket carries many New Jersey-made products, including Taylor Pork Roll from Trenton and Colonna grated cheese from North Bergen.

Funny you should mention Hannah Montana. I just heard of her (and Miley Cyrus) in a commercial last night. We have been watching movies on the Family channel lately, because they are uplifting and fun, even if they are geared to a younger audience. So many TV movies nowadays are downright depressing, about dysfunctional families and wife beaters, and polygamist, serial-killer husbands married to abused wives, etc. Not my idea of entertainment!

We just watched two movies about a farm girl from Wisconsin who marries a Danish prince (The Prince and Me and The Prince and Me 2: The Royal Wedding). At least we went to bed feeling happy and upbeat instead of depressed!

We also found a radio station we love in Fort Myers. It plays a lot of popular vocals from the 50s through the 80s, everything from Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, to Bobby Darin and Barbra Streisand, to Connie Franicis and Paul Anka, to Barry Manilow and the Carpenters, etc. The demographics in this area place the median age in the late 50s, so the radio stations cater to "mature" listeners.

Our only trip this year will be to Dallas for my daughter's wedding in October. I have a nephew in New Jersey getting married in 2008, so we'll probably travel there for that event.

All in all, life is great.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 06-28-2007 at 01:44 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile three music catagories that I enjoy

Hi Jersey Warren, How are you doing today? I could hardly wait to tell you that I saw Bon Jovi on CMT last night and he was absolutely wonderful. I did not realize he sang much else but rock but he sang love songs too and the whole show was awesome. This morning he was on the front of Parade magazine and there is a nice write up in the magazine about him and his family. Hannah Montana is uplifting and good music for the young people and mature audiences too. There is enough sadness in the world as it is and we do not need to be hearing and seeing it all the time.
    I am so glad that life is treating you well. I bet you are excited about your daughter's wedding in Oct. It will be here before you know it.
    I am doing well too. I have to get used to the free time I have now that I work part time. I will help out at the other place too and it should work out well. I cannot believe how much more rested I feel.
    It is nice that you are attending the wedding for your nephew in NJ. I already miss NJ. Bon Jovi just made me miss it more. lol. Take care. Marianita

Tourist

My parents played The Beatles all the time when I was growing up, I should really get back into them, haven't really listened to 'em in a long time.

Tourist

I like Carpenters, Bon Jovi and REM songs.. They are pleasant to our ears.

winning poker hands in order - online poker bonus codes