Thread: Recipes and cooking

Lady ***** of the Forest

Default Recipes

I'm opening a thread for people to share their favorite recipes.

I have far more favorite recipes than I can possibly share here, but I'm going to add one that my dad gave me (I believe he actually got it off the Food Channel, since he's a FC addict).

Lady ***** of the Forest

Pulled Pork

5 to 7 pounds of any cut of pork (pork roast, Boston butt, shoulder, I've even used country style pork ribs on special for this recipe... it's still fantastic!)

Dry rub:
    • 3 Tbsp paprika
    • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
    • 1 Tbsp dry mustard
    • 3 Tbsp coarse sea salt

1 bottle/can of beer (optional)

Mix the dry rub ingredients, and apply it all over the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to overnight (I prefer overnight).

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Place pork in a roasting pan, (pour the beer into the bottom of the pan, optional) and roast for about 6 hours. Using a meat thermometer, check to make sure that the thickest part of the pork is 170 degrees F, but it should roast until the meat is falling apart.

If it's done, take it out of the oven... use your favorite bbq sauce.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I suppse I have a ton of recipes I need to share here. I was taking step-by-step photos of many of my recipes - but since I don't measure - it's hard to tell people how to actually make them.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Lady ***** of the Forest

Well, you need to get your act together and start measuring and writing it down. That was my grandmother's problem... she never measured. Then I'd go to make it and I never knew how much of this or that to put in. It never turned out the same, and now she's dead and I'll never know.

So, write it down. Or I'll send someone over to beat you.

*One thing I know how to make is her macaroni and cheese. The secret was: one pound of macaroni to one pound of sharp cheddar cheese in the cheese sauce. Like so...
    cook macaroni al dente, according to the directions
    meanwhile, make a cheese sauce, mixing 1 pound of grated sharp cheddar cheese into the sauce.
    Mix the macaroni and cheese sauce together in an oven proof dish, bake (at whatever temperature) for (whatever amount of time), until the top is brown and the cheese is bubbling.

Let it cool and eat until you burst at the seams.

Lady ***** of the Forest

hmmmmm... I've posted 2 recipes... you've posted ... wait... let me count... ummmmm...
    zero.

......slacker

Default Recipes and cooking

I love to cook - I always have. When I was in 8th grade, we had to do an english assignment and write out the recipe for our favorite thing to make. While everyone else wrote out how to make macronni and cheese and hotdogs, I did Chicken Cordon Bleu. I thought I would create this thread so people can share their favorite recipes and discuss what they like to cook, or even get cooking tips. (wel after looking a second time - I see that this thread already existed which I forgot about, so they are merged now) If this is popular - I may change it to a full forum, since I love to cook.

So here is the first recipe I will share which my uncle used to always make during the summer. It's an italian vegetable stew and very very good called Jambut.

Jambut

3 lbs Zuchini - cut into 1" cubes
    4 green peppers - sliced into 3" strips
    4 large or 6 medium yellow onions - halved and then sliced
    2 large cans whole tomatoes - squash with hand
    1 can of tomato sauce
    3 Tbs Garlic
    Oregano
    Basil
    Salt
    Black Pepper
    2 tsp Sugar
    Olive Oil

In large sauce pot put...

- Olive oil
    - Green Peppers
    - Onions
    - Salt & Pepper

Saute until onions are limp and get translucent

Add rest of ingredients

Bring to boil

Lower Heat & Simmer for an hour

Reseason as needed
    If anyone tries it - let me know what you think of it. Happy cooking!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Well I'm off to the store to make some jambut. I wil try to get some of my many photos of various dishes I make up here and then add some more recipes, such as my home made pizza.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Family Spaghetti Sauce

My grandmother's maiden name was Solari. Her parents came from Genoa, Italy, and this was the pasta sauce my grandmother made, which was taught to her by her mother. I then learned to make it and taught it to my daughter. My grandmother used to buy Buitoni pasta, when Buitoni's U.S. headquarters was in South Hackensack. Since then, Buitoni was acquired by Nestle, and they have discontinued the dried pasta and only sell refrigerated pasta such as ravioli and tortolini. On evey major holiday, my gradmother bought Star ravioli from the Star Ravioli company in Moonachie, and made her own sauce to put on it. To me, THAT is Christmas or Easter.

Great grandmother Solariís pasta sauce

You can use different kinds of meat to make this sauce, but the best results for the least amount of work is to use sweet (not hot) Italian sausage.

You need:

One package of sweet Italian sausage (or pieces of stew beef, or meatballs)
    One large can (the one thatís about 6 inches across by 8 inches high) of tomato sauce (Huntís, Del Monte, or Contadina, etc.)
    (Or two medium size or four small cans.)
    One small can (the one thatís only about 1 1/2 inches by 3Ē high) of tomato paste
    Olive oil
    One medium size onion
    Garlic (optional, but I like it)
    Bay leaves
    Basil

Cover bottom of a large covered pot (a heavy Dutch oven, pressure cooker, or very large sauce pan) with a thin layer of olive oil (about 4 tablespoons). Heat to about medium-low.
    Peel and chop onion and cook in oil until it gets soft. Be careful not to burn! If you use garlic (about 2-3 cloves, which are the small segments within the bulb), peel the cloves and crush slightly, then chop into small pieces. Garlic browns much quicker than onion, so hold off until the onion is almost done, then add garlic.

While the onion is browning, take a separate frying pan and put a little water in it. (Maybe 1/4 cup.) Put the Italian sausage in the pan, heat to medium and cook the sausage. Keep rolling them around and poking them with a fork. Fat will spurt out the fork "poke holes," along with a little water. When the water is almost gone (ten minutes or so) put the sausage on paper towels or brown paper to drain off excess grease. Add the sausage to the big pot with the onion. Keep the heat in the big pot low enough so the onion doesnít burn.

Next, add the tomato sauce and the tomato paste to the big pot. Then add about two bay leaves and about a tablespoon of basil.

Cover the pot and simmer on a very low heat for about two hours. Stir occasionally to keep mixed and make sure it doesnít burn. When itís done, use immediately, or store or freeze for later use.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 08-02-2006 at 02:06 PM.

JW - that's almost exactly like my families spaghetti sauce that I continue to make - except for a couple of differences. We don't use onions - although I have in the past, also we include Tomato Puree - I prefer Cento brand. As for the suasage - if I include sausage -it's HOT italian sausage. Also,we don't drain the grease from it, but use it to further season the sauce.

Also - how is garlic optional? Crushed garlic is ESSENTIAL in Spaghetti Sauce. Oh - I just also notice that you don't include oregano in your recipe - I use oregano also, and some garlic salt.

Basically this is the order, add the olive oil into a large sauce pot, heat and add the bay leaves, oregano, basil and garlic salt and let the oil bring out the seasoning. Then add the tomato paste and stir. Add the tomato sauce and puree and some water and let simmer for several hours.

Other than a few slight differences, our sauce is pretty much identical.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default What to do with green tomatos....

For those avid gardeners out there who end up staring pitifully at a bumper crop of green Jersey tomatos come autumn, here's my grandmother's recipe for Pork Chop & Green Tomato casserole (supposedly it's an old czek recipe). The green tomatos store really well in the fridge, so you can keep them for quite a while.

Debbie

Ingredients:

8 pork chops (boneless is best)
    green tomatos cut in approx. 1/4" slices
    potatos cut in approx. 1/8" slices
    butter
    salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Butter the bottom and sides of an oven proof covered casserole dish. Layer 4 chops on the bottom and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a generous layer of tomatos and sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Then add a generous layer of potatos. Sprinkle the potatos with salt & pepper and dot with butter. Now repeat the layering process again starting with the rest of the chops, ending with a layer of potatos.

Cover the casserole and cook for about an hour. Basically, when the juices are bubbling up a bit, it's pretty much done...depending on the thickness of the chops.
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    J
    Also - how is garlic optional? Crushed garlic is ESSENTIAL in Spaghetti Sauce. )

It's only optional because my grandmother wasn't a "garlic person." Maybe garlic wasn't very big in Genoa, where her parents came from. My grandfather (whose parents came from Southern Italy) used to make garlic bread all the time. He'd soak slices of Italian bread in garlic-seasoned olive oil, then brown them under the broiler.

I must have got my taste for garlic from my grandfather, so I have included it in my spaghetti sauce ever since I've been making it on my own.

Whenever we make a Freschetta pizza (which I cook on a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal) I put chopped peppers, olive oil, garlic powder, and plenty of oregano on top. I also add anchovies to my half only, since my wife hates them!

Great recipe site is www.allrecipes.com - you can check the rating and reviews and see how others have adjusted to make it even better .

Here is a household fav in my house for chicken with a definate kick. We double the sauce cause its um um good. Looks like lots of stuff but most you have on hand already , normally I just need to pickup the limes and chicken. Good served with a spicy rice and some sweet veggie ( corn on the cob at my house )

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken

3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    3 tablespoons lime juice

In a small bowl, mix together salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and parsley. Sprinkle spice mixture generously on both sides of chicken breasts.

Heat butter and olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons garlic powder and lime juice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently to coat evenly with sauce.

New Jerseyan

Looking over this thread and see that it was started off by "Stephanie Plum"! A few years back, I got a copy of a book called something like "A Taste of Murder" - it was a cookbook with all of the recipes contributed by mystery authors - I think Janet Evanovich may have sent one as did my fave NJ author Jane Rubino - her books had a sleuth who was from a big Italian family and there was food, food, food in every one - the recipe she put in was for a Sicilian eggplant dish - a bit tricky but really yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb
    Looking over this thread and see that it was started off by "Stephanie Plum"! A few years back, I got a copy of a book called something like "A Taste of Murder" - it was a cookbook with all of the recipes contributed by mystery authors - I think Janet Evanovich may have sent one as did my fave NJ author Jane Rubino - her books had a sleuth who was from a big Italian family and there was food, food, food in every one - the recipe she put in was for a Sicilian eggplant dish - a bit tricky but really yummy!
    This thread is beginning to remind me of a message board I used to visit regularly. It started on the Top Secret Recipe website (which posted recipes to make clones of chain restaurant dishes) and there was a discussion board called "The Dead Food Board" where we discussed products that were no longer sold. One that I miss are the Hostess Lite cupcakes filled with cherry filling instead of the white "cream" made from whipped-up Crisco (my high school chemistry teacher told us that!) I bought them in California in the early 1990s.)

When that board was closed down, those who had formed friendships on the board started boards of their own. I joined one started by a guy from Maryland and was part of it for several years.

For those of us who enjoy cooking (and even dining out) these recipe boards can be fun and a neat way for us to express ourselves!