Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Salem County Freeholders election

Thread: Salem County Freeholders election

Default Salem County Freeholders election

Salem County Freeholders election, anyone here have an opinion whether control will remain with Democrats or switch to Republicans?

Republicans putting out a strong team.
    http://scgop2009.org/AboutUs.aspx

] Jokesters, advertisers and political bloggers check out
    Penn Jersey Forums login as guest, password 2011

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by njriverman View Post
    Salem County Freeholders election, anyone here have an opinion whether control will remain with Democrats or switch to Republicans?

Republicans putting out a strong team.
    http://scgop2009.org/AboutUs.aspx
    So what ended up happening in the Salem County Freeholders election?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default Salem County Election Results

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    So what ended up happening in the Salem County Freeholders election?
    two Democrats were up, one got reelected, one lost to a Republican.

full results at:
    http://www.pennjersey.info/forums/cu...ts-2009-a.html

Default I got an email on reorganizations

I got an email on reorganizations.

1. Saturday January 2nd, 2010 is the Carneys Point Township Committee Reorganization Meeting at 12 noon at the Municipal Building, followed by refreshments. Bob Hayes will be sworn in to begin his 3rd term as a Township Committeeman and a new Mayor and Deputy Mayor will be chosen.

2. Tuesday January 5th, 2010 is the first Carneys Point GOP Club meeting for 2010 at the Servicemens Home (35 S. DuPont Rd.). We will be having dinner @ 6PM followed by the introduction of new officers and the monthly meeting. Please contact Joe or Brenda O'Donald (http://cpgop.org/Contact_CPGOP.html or 856-299-7853) by 1/2/10 if you would like to attend or have any questions. Newcomers are most welcome! Meet some friendly neighbors and learn and share about current topics. http://cpgop.com

3. Wednesday January 6th, 2010 is the Salem County Freeholder Reorganization meeting at 5:30 at the Salem County Community College. Ben Laury will be taking office.

To get email direct sign up at http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=b6872bbd1c

Default January 2010 Speech by Julie Acton Salem County NJ Freeholder

I saw Julie Acton's speech posted, here is a copy.

I don't have Lee Ware's for majority report.
    ----

January 2010 Speech by Julie Acton Salem County NJ Freeholder

Good Evening.
    I would first like to give thanks to God for all of his blessings. I also thank my supportive husband John and our wonderful sons, Jonathan and Justin, for their encouragement, and a heart felt thanks to my mom for her continuous guidance.

It is my honor, in the spirit of this orderly transition, to present to the residents of Salem County and to the distinguished guests the minority party speech address on behalf of Freeholders Cross, Laury and myself.

We welcome Congressman Frank LoBiondo, New Jersey State Senate President Steve Sweeney, our 3rd District Assembly representatives; John Burzichelli and Celeste Riley. For those recently re-elected and elected, we congratulate you and we thank all of you for supporting the County of Salem during a time when we need you the most.
    The following are some examples of how, "when we all work together, we are successful." You stood with us in a bi-partisan fashion in support against the dumping of dredge spoils on our shores, keeping the state Department of Agriculture intact, your continued support of Railroad funding, and securing new Federal Funding for a wide range of other projects.

We congratulate Sherriff Chuck Miller, County Clerk Gilda Gill, Freeholder Beth Timberman on their re-election and welcome Freeholder Ben Laury on this, his inauguration night. I have worked with Beth for the last few years and I look forward to working further with her as we move forward. Ben, "hold on." I welcome you to this team and I know your caring heart and your willingness to serve will guide your leadership.

The following are couple of examples of how this Board of Chosen Freeholders have worked in a bi-partisan fashion; we took a stand against the proposed decision to close Memorial Hospital of Salem County’s maternity ward because it is a wrong decision for the people of Salem County, and for the first time in recent memory a minority party member has been placed on the administrative committee. This is a milestone and goes to show how we work together for the betterment of Salem County.

In 2009, the voters of the State of New Jersey and of Salem County voted in dramatic fashion for a new beginning through new leadership. Their message is loud and clear:
    · Put a stop to soaring taxes,
    · Put a stop to uncontrolled spending, and
    · STOP waste within all the levels of government.
    However, what the public really wants are for us to lower taxes.

Last year, the County of Salem made many strong efforts to control taxes. All seven members of the board voted for the budget. Why? Because the budget was a reasonable one.
    Are there areas for improvement? Absolutely! Unlike several other Counties, we did not drastically and unrealistically reduce our tax rate; therefore, we are not starting from an insurmountable position for fiscal year 2010.

As a board working in a team environment, we took steps that in the long run will stabilize or reduce the tax burden, such as: The merger of the Vocational Technical School Board with the Special Services School Board to lower administration and operational costs. This action was one of our success stories. As chairperson of this leadership committee, I and the committee worked hard with the County Administrator and other Freeholders to insure that no essential programs were cut, no students would be harmed by this merger, AND tax dollars would be saved this year because of the merger. HOWEVER the most important element is: we were able to open doors for students – DOORS that WERE previously "closed"... truly a "win/win" proposition.

The transfer of the Nursing Home to the Improvement Authority in mid-2008 allowed for an operational savings that was realized in 2009. Unfortunately, employees of the Nursing Home were temporarily affected by this action through the loss of short-term and long-term disability protection plans. As a board, the Freeholders were committed to the employees and planned for a seamless transfer. However, we could not plan for this extremely neglectful oversight by the Improvement Authority board. Although we have no direct control over the Improvement Authority, we will continue monitoring this situation and do our best to ensure patient and employee commitments are met.

During future mergers, we must evaluate every possible impact on employees to prevent similar hardships from occurring. We are committed to deliver quality planning in an effective and efficient approach and delivering accountability to everyone concerned, also, with the books now closed on 2009, the Improvement Authority should present an accounting to the public – in clear language – of what this merger has actually meant to the county’s taxpayers. How much money has been redirected from the landfill operations to support the Nursing Home which was running in a deficit? Remember, we’re still talking about taxpayers’ hard-earned money. Tipping fees paid by our municipalities to dump their garbage at the landfill comes out of the taxpayers’ pocket.

On November 3rd, the voters of Salem County chose to make their Freeholder Board 4 Democrats and 3 Republicans. In my humble opinion, this will make our board: a more responsive, a more responsible, and a more accountable governmental body.
    We have substantial work to perform in order to balance our 2010 budget and still maintain the core services that the general public needs and expects.
    To quote Sir Winston Churchill, “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts”.
    In that spirit,
    · must continue to provide quality education to our young and not so young,
    · We must sustain our agricultural programs; while stimulating controlled economic development,
    · We must continue to provide transportation to the elderly, and the disabled,
    · We must maintain our roads & bridges
    · We must continue to provide assistance to veterans
    · And, we must continue to provide preventive care programs and public safety for our citizens,
    However, we must do this by working smarter, through creating efficiencies where efficiencies are lacking, and through developing a cost-effective approach to government.The result will be a leaner more responsive governing body responding to the needs of Salem County residents. We must do this with care and forethought. We must do this under the principles of the oath that we have all taken to uphold our values as we govern. We must do this with the well-being of our residents in the forefront of our minds.

We, as a Board, have to examine all of the programs currently financed by the taxpayers of Salem County. We have to realistically view the amount of people that it takes to administer these programs and do what we can to control the spending. We have to concentrate on the shared services that we currently have and search for innovative ways to expand this concept.

continued in next post .....

Default Julie Acton Salem County Freeholder

The success of merging the school boards should be our beacon, the problems with the Nursing Home our warning… Smaller and more sensible government through services and programs must be the goal that we set for this Freeholder Board. However, when opportunity knocks at our door, we have to be prepared to take action not reaction. As a board working cohesively, we can meet many challenges facing our County.

With a 4-3 balance, there will be more compromise and accountability for both the majority and the minority party members. With three (3) Republicans now serving on board, we Republicans simply cannot sit back and blame the Democrats for everything that goes wrong. As we approach a new beginning for 2010, performing our due-diligence is crucial for successful governance. We are ready to take the responsibility of making sure this government does everything possible to reduce costs. We will continue to work and challenge what we think is wrong; question what we don’t understand; and defend what is honorable and right.

As we face the challenges of 2010, it is time to hold county employees accountable in the same manner that the Freeholders are held accountable. It is time to stop protecting political cronies who lack appropriate skill-sets required by their job description. It is time to implement a policy of only hiring the best qualified person for the job- regardless of their party affiliation.
    With this accountability concept we need to make sure our audits are in compliance with the state mandates and guidelines; that we only hire consultants when needed and when appointing professional services, we always receive the best “bang for our buck”.

This forum is not appropriate for naming names tonight; however, let the message be heard loud and clear: in order to improve the quality of services being administered at the County level, we must stop the practice of appointing non-qualified political friends. We must realize from the Director, all the way through the ranks, that we are here to serve the people of Salem County.

We are all challenged to develop a budget capable of recognizing and trimming unproductive programs. As a person of faith, I naturally want to help everyone; however, as a responsible governmental leader, providing an array of services at taxpayer expense is simply not good government. Let the Board evaluate programs to determine if those services provide the most advantage to our residents at a reasonable cost. Let us take the initiative and eliminate fruitless programs not meeting expectations.

A special committee is tackling the overcrowding space issue; we need to implement the right approach this time that justifies the need; quantifies the costs, and projects positive long-term impacts for Salem County. As a Board, we must review all of the options, and we must make the wisest decision.

This is my third year as your Freeholder. In those three years, I feel that I have gained an education and the valuable experience necessary to be successful in County government. I have not lost either my compassion for my fellow residents, nor my enthusiasm for the position. As elected leaders of this County, we have the power to invoke change and influence lives for the better. This is an elected position that requires all seven of us to work hard in order to be successful. We are at our best when we are openly communicating, when we have all of the relevant facts, but more importantly, when we put the people of Salem County first. We are at our worst when we bicker or play "gotcha politics."

The citizens of Salem County elected us in the good faith that we will deliver on our promises.

As the minority party, it is our job to challenge the majority party; however, what makes us respected leaders is "how" we challenge them. If we become argumentative, condescending, or disrespectful, walls are built that prevents good governance. If we work in conjunction with each other through teamwork, we are capable of lifting all of us up to greater heights. We are ready to accept the challenges 2010 will bring.

I leave you with an inspirational quote from Peter Drucker – an educator – THE BEST WAY TO PREDICT THE FUTURE IS TO CREATE IT.

It is a privilege to represent the citizens of Salem County and my honor to serve you.
    Thank you and May God bless you,

Julie Acton
    Salem County NJ Freeholder

Default 2011 Candidates email

I saw a good link to info on candidates - http://t.ymlp239.net/jemakaubquaaamujazau/click.php

Default Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno to administer oaths of office to new Republican director

On Wednesday January 4, 2012, the Salem County Board of Chosen Freeholders will conduct their annual reorganization meeting. The meeting will begin at 5:45 PM in Davidow Hall at Salem Community College.

Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno is expected to administer the oaths of office to the new Republican majority. I hope that you can attend to help celebrate this milestone.

The Salem County Republican Organization will hold a reception immediately following the meeting/ceremony at the Creekside Inn in Woodstown. There will be hors devours and a cash bar. There is no charge for this event but a RSVP’s are required to get an accurate headcount. Email RSVP’s are appreciated at mhface at verizon.net

Municipal Leaders; please share this correspondence with the appropriate members of your local GOP Organizations.

I look forward to this historic evening.