Thread: "Wildwood by the Sea" TV special

New Jerseyan

Default "Wildwood by the Sea" TV special

This Saturday July 29, 2006, at around 1:30 in the afternoon, NBC 10 out of Philadelphia is rebroadcasting a one-hour special they made called "Wildwood by the Sea."

Question: Can anyone tape it for me?

I'm from northern New Jersey and we don't get the Philly-based NBC station up here. The program was produced by NBC 10 and was not made for national viewing. (I know this because I emailed and called the station, asking if they could send me a copy. They would not do it. Yes, I offered to pay them.)

As for the special itself, I happened to be vacationing in North Wildwood when NBC 10 first broadcast it on July 12. My wife and I had just gotten down there, walked into our room, flipped on the TV while we were unpacking, and there it was. Unfortunately for me, the program was already halfway over. But still, it was nice.

The program covered the early history of Wildwood right on through the present day. They had a few celebrity interviews with them reminiscing about how they loved vacationing in Wildwood. They interviewed the lady whose voice was recorded saying "Watch the Tram Car" -- the voice we still hear today! They had lots of nice video footage of the beach, boardwalk, hotels (old and new), and nightclubs. They talked about how there is lots of redevelopment going on -- new condos and refurbished kitschy hotels.

A couple of years ago, another local station (maybe it was NJN) ran a special called "Wildwood Days." That was good too. That one included a very brief interview with Bruce Willis, who used to go to the nightclubs in Wildwood. I have that show on videotape.

But this new special was just as good -- maybe even better.

If you like Wildwood at all, try and catch it.

As for my initial request: if anyone is able to videotape it -- or tape it onto DVD -- I'll gladly reimburse you for all the costs as well as your time and effort. I'll even drive to wherever to pick it up, if need be. (I know it might sound like a strange request, but I'd really like to be able to view the whole program and show it to my friends and family.)

Anyway, even if I don't get to see it again, hopefully someone else will get some enjoyment out of it.
    Last edited by A-Line; 07-28-2006 at 12:51 AM.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

A-Line - I can probably tape it for you. I would like to see it anyway. I have a DVD recorder - but it has a problem sometimes finalizing the dvd - so I'll just tape it on VHS and then see if I can transfer it to DVD. If the DVD works out - I could transfer to the computer and then people for a short tme can watch it (we have a lot of members who don't even live in NJ) . I'm like you - I love any documentaries about NJ and there have been so many coming out.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    A-Line - I can probably tape it for you. I would like to see it anyway. I have a DVD recorder - but it has a problem sometimes finalizing the dvd - so I'll just tape it on VHS and then see if I can transfer it to DVD. If the DVD works out - I could transfer to the computer and then people for a short tme can watch it (we have a lot of members who don't even live in NJ) . I'm like you - I love any documentaries about NJ and there have been so many coming out.
    Cool. I know it's a lot to ask of someone. But I really want to see it and own it! If you tape it onto VHS, use the SP mode for the best quality (you probably already knew that, but not everyone does).

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    Cool. I know it's a lot to ask of someone. But I really want to see it and own it! If you tape it onto VHS, use the SP mode for the best quality (you probably already knew that, but not everyone does).

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply.
    It's no problem. See if New Jersey had it's OWN networks - then these type of shows would be available for ALL New Jerseyans to see (NJN hs them, but they have a limited audience). Of course I don't think I've ever seen a NY network do a special on a New Jersey tourism attraction like the Philadelphia networks do - so I do appreciate it. It would just be so much better if we had our own networks.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

From what I have come across, Philly seems to promote and support the Battleship N.J. in quite a few ways. Maybe its because it was built there and they take alot of pride in it as we do in N.J. , or maybe because they figure when people visit the ship they might end up across the river spending money in Philly also . Whatever the reason it is good to see another city helping one of N.J.s attractions .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    From what I have come across, Philly seems to promote and support the Battleship N.J. in quite a few ways. Maybe its because it was built there and they take alot of pride in it as we do in N.J. , or maybe because they figure when people visit the ship they might end up across the river spending money in Philly also . Whatever the reason it is good to see another city helping one of N.J.s attractions .
    Well actually - unlike NY networks, Philadelphia's - in particular ABC, do support NJ attraction, they often report from the Jersey Shore and things like that. It's NY which wants nothing to do with NJ, except to badmouth the state.

New Jersey Proud!

A-Line, thanks for letting me know this was on. This special is really great. Don't worry - I am taping it - I hope it just comes out right and I hope I can dub it to dvd so then I can put it on here for a short time so others can see it.

New Jersey Proud!