Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Alternate Routes to Jersey Shore

Thread: Alternate Routes to Jersey Shore

New Jerseyan

Default Alternate Routes to Jersey Shore

Anyone know any good alternate routes from northern New Jersey to the Jersey Shore?

Specifically, I'm going to the Wildwoods and am looking to avoid the Garden State Parkway (GSP) as much as possible -- starting from northern New Jersey.

Someone told me to take County Road-539 (CR-539), which I am considering. I would take the New Jersey Turnpike (NJT) South down to Exit 7A, get on CR-539, and take that to the GSP, which I would get on at around Exit 58.

If anyone has a comment on that idea or has any other alternate route suggestions, post them here!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line View Post
    Anyone know any good alternate routes from northern New Jersey to the Jersey Shore?

Specifically, I'm going to the Wildwoods and am looking to avoid the Garden State Parkway (GSP) as much as possible -- starting from northern New Jersey.

Someone told me to take County Road-539 (CR-539), which I am considering. I would take the New Jersey Turnpike (NJT) South down to Exit 7A, get on CR-539, and take that to the GSP, which I would get on at around Exit 58.

If anyone has a comment on that idea or has any other alternate route suggestions, post them here!
    When I lived in Plainsboro - that is the way I used to go. If you take it - make sure you stop by "Patriots Rock" as I call it.

New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    When I lived in Plainsboro - that is the way I used to go. If you take it - make sure you stop by "Patriots Rock" as I call it.

How good of a ride is it as far as traffic lights and traffic jams and such? Particularly if I go on a Saturday morning. Also, what's the approximate speed limit?

I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to take a chance on going that way, or if I am just better off taking my chances on the GSP.

If I do decide to try it, I'll be sure to check out Patriot's Rock!

Also, if anyone else has other alternate routes in mind, feel free to share them.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

How good of a ride is it as far as traffic lights and traffic jams and such? Particularly if I go on a Saturday morning. Also, what's the approximate speed limit?

I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to take a chance on going that way, or if I am just better off taking my chances on the GSP.

If I do decide to try it, I'll be sure to check out Patriot's Rock!

Also, if anyone else has other alternate routes in mind, feel free to share them.
    Traffic lights are very few. You have some between 195 and Rt 70 and only a couple at most between 70 and the Tuckerton entrance onto the GSP. The speed limit is between 50 and 55 most of the way. It is a good ride, although I don't really like to tell people about it. If more people travel it - it will get congested. Right now - it is a nice relaxing back road. I take 539 from here to central NJ (Princeton/Trenton area).

BTW - if you haven't seen Allentown NJ before, I would drive through Allentown, the speed limit is 25 - instead of taking the new bypass. I love Allentown, it's a nice small quaint colonial town, which still has the original mill from colonial times along the river. It's especially beautiful during the fall though.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Exclamation

Good alternate. It is about same distance, but you still have to drive past AC.

Alternate --
    NJTP to Exit 7 to US206 South
    Take US206 to AC Expressway
    Take AC Expressway to GSP
    About same distance, but you do drive by AC.

Another alternate --
    Take NJTP to Exit 3
    Take 168 (Blackhorse Pike) to SR 41 (W. Clements Bridge Rd.)
    Make a right to Deptford Center Rd to the exit for SR 55.
    Take SR55 till it turns into SR47 (Past Vineland)
    SR47 shares with Route 347
    Go until SR 83
    SR 83 goes into US 9

You do travel more miles, but you do avoid GSP until near exit 13.

According to Yahoo maps, it is about 15-20 miles more distance and about 30 min. more time.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Traffic lights are very few. You have some between 195 and Rt 70 and only a couple at most between 70 and the Tuckerton entrance onto the GSP. The speed limit is between 50 and 55 most of the way. It is a good ride, although I don't really like to tell people about it. If more people travel it - it will get congested. Right now - it is a nice relaxing back road. I take 539 from here to central NJ (Princeton/Trenton area).

BTW - if you haven't seen Allentown NJ before, I would drive through Allentown, the speed limit is 25 - instead of taking the new bypass. I love Allentown, it's a nice small quaint colonial town, which still has the original mill from colonial times along the river. It's especially beautiful during the fall though.
    I agree regarding Allentown. It is a nice little town to visit.

Warning again about the speed limit. LEO will hide in places looking for people traveling over PSL. (25 mph)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jerseyan

I ended up taking CR-539 to the GSP, and it worked out great. I even stopped off at Patriot's Rock on the way back and took some pictures.

There was some minor traffic on the GSP by Atlantic City, but nothing too bad.

In case anyone's interested, someone warned me about the traffic on the NJTP South around Exit 8A by the car/truck merge. To avoid it, they recommended I get off at Exit 9 in New Brunswick and take US1 South to US130 South to CR-526, which would lead me to CR-539 in Allentown. And that's exactly what I did.