Thread: Why is New Jersey always represented with a backdrop of New York?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Why is New Jersey always represented with a backdrop of New York?

Here was a thing on AOL.com which lists the 20 safest states - New Jersey is number 16th. While all the other states are represented by a photo of some icon or image in that state, the photo used for New Jersey is a walkway on the Hudson with New York as the backdrop. Why does New Jersey always seem to be represented by images of New York??? What about the many images of New Jersey they could have used, such as the Jersey Shore, Atlantic City, Revolutionary War Reenactments, colonial towns, the USS New Jersey, etc been used instead?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I wanted to add to concerning what people are posting on the "Safest State" list. It seems as if many people - particularly in the northwest - seem to have a problem with New Jersey being listed.

This is some of the stuff that they said...
    Fangedseamonster 08:00:52 AM Mar 31 2009
    For Michael from New Jersey Survey or not, Oregon is far superior to the entire northeast, Michael, in every conceivable way. So is the rest of the west. Unsurprisingly, you probably spent all your time there indoors. New York (and especially New Jersey) on the other hand, present all the allure of a sewage-infested fleshpot overflowing with pushy, mouthy slobs like yourself.p.s. you need to work on your spelling before you even begin to answer--it's at a second grade level.

Mikeandstay 06:34:51 AM Mar 31 2009

They must have forgotten to include the crime stats from Camden and plainfield,Newark when they posted Nj...Canden had more murders than they had posted alone

usedcarparts22 06:22:54 AM Mar 31 2009

Wtf these rankings are bogus! I live in Oregon and no way can New Jersey and New York rank higher in safest places to live than Oregon. Those two state's shouldn't even be on the list.
    The above comments, which I routinely got from people in Indiana and Oregon, is what gave rise to AboutNewJersey.com It was from them that I realized that people are completely ignorant about what New Jersey is truly like.

Here is my response, although I'm not sure if it will be posted or not -

Well - I noticed the negative comments that people had - particularly it seems from people in the northwest. I have been to 40 state and lived in six of them - including both Oregon and New Jersey. All I can say that once again New Jersey gets a bad wrap by how it is portrayed on TV and no one has any idea what New Jersey is like.

On the other hand - I also lived in Portland Oregon - I saw the drug addicts and homeless, not to mention the almost nightly event of another meth lab being taken down. I'm not saying I didn't love oregon, the scenery is beautiful and I loved Mount Hood and the Falls along the Columbia, but to act like it has no problems or that it's better than New Jersey goes shows people are ignorant.

Yeah - Camden has problems and Newark has HAD problems. But Newark is nothing like it is portrayed in the movies. New Jersey also contains some of the safest places and most beautiful places in the country, such as Princeton - home to Princeton University. Brick and Toms River are routinely rated as the safest places in the country

There is a reason why Jackie Kennedy Onassis had a home in New Jersey and Oprah Winfrey has a beach house at the Jersey Shore - not to mention so many other famous and wealthy people who can live anywhere they wish.

For those who really only know about New Jersey through the movies and latenight comedians, you can learn more about the TRUE New Jersey at - http://www.AboutNewJersey.com
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!