Thread: Are NJ Cops and Politicians above the law???

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Are NJ Cops and Politicians above the law???

Okay - this is something that has been bothering me for a long time. The attitude that NJ Politicians and Cops think they are above the law. Okay, we all know about the politicians selling favors and all that - so let's not beat a dead horse. This post will be mostly about cops and their relatives and friends.

I'm not sure if many New Jerseyans know there is a little thing called a PBA card - it's basically a card that allows you to break the law legally. A police buddy or relative, gives you the card - you get pulled over for doing 90 in a 55 and you just whip out the card and hand it to the officer with your license and registration. They see the PBA card and go, oh sorry, have a nice day - just stay safe.

You don't believe it - well it's true. My cousin, who is for the moment engaged to someone whose brother is a cop, even has a GOLD card. That oe is even better than than the normal one. That one basically says - don't even think of writing me a ticket.

You think the above scenario is an exaggeration? Well it isn't. I know someone - who shall remain nameless - who that happened to on the Parkway at mile marker 81 where the speed limit is 55. Whereas we would get a ticket, they got a "have a nice day and don't drink and drive during Memorial Day weekend".

If you think I'm just bitter because i don't have one, well then you don't know me very well, because I did have one - for a number of years. The thing is - I never used it. I never felt it was right. I got it from a friend whose father-in-law was former chief of police for South Brunswick. I told my cousin and he was shocked. I got pulled over while I had the card in my pocket, but I just didn't think it was right to use it.

I don't believe anyone is above the law and i don't think cops and their families and friends deserve special treatment. My cousin wanted to be a cop and all he kept talking about is how great it would be because he would get free food and crap from restaurants.

This country was founded on the premise that NO ONE is above the law and everyone is treated equal. It seems as if we are losing this and we are beginning to be a police state. All these laws past in this state apply to you - but not if you are a cop, friend of a cop or the relative of a cop.

Also, for about 6 months I had followed this NJ Police messageboard - NJLawman.com. Some of the stuff will make you really question why some people are cops. On there some cops even ***** that they didn't get free donuts at a Dunkin Donuts and that if something happened at the store, they wouldn't be rushing to help them out. One episode involved an incident with cops coming from New Orleans after helping the Katrina Victims. They were going 90 in Virginia on their way back to NJ and were pulled over. they *****ed that they actually received tickets and that the local cops didn't care that they were cops. I agree with Virginia police - they weren't going to an emergency - they were driving home.

How many people have seen a cop driving along when a light changes red, they flip on their flashers, drive through the red light and turn them off. Again - those are the cops that make people lose all respect for them.

I give respect to those who show me they deserve respect. When people think they are above the law or think they deserve special treatment - I don't have much respect for them.

You want more proof that a PBA card is simply a get of jail free card from cop buddies - read this - PBA card saves the day!!! Phew! - although I think this incident happened in NY State. Here is another one with a cop *****ing that his wife got a ticket for speeding - Officer's Wife and Speeding Ticket or what about this one where one cop states -"cops don't give other cops tickets" and they go on about "professional courtesy" - Family in Mich with NYPD PBA cards . There are some ethical police officers too as demonstrated int his thread - A PBA card question (sorry to ask such a simple one) At least some cops still believe that no one is above the law.

I told my cousin - if I was governor, I would outlaw the use of PBA cards.

BTW - you should see some of the threads about what a cop would do if he pulled over a fellow cop for drunk driving. You better be sitting down though. It'll make your blood really boil. But hey - we live in NJ where MOST people in power think they are above the law.

Don't get me wrong - I think cops are a necessity - just not the whiney assholes who feel they deserve special treatment and are basically in it so they can get that nice retirement pension after 25 years. as i told my cousin also when he was planning on being a cop - be real cop and make a difference - be a cop in Newark or Camden.

I always had a lot of respect for cops - but I am really starting to think my friend was right who always said that most people who become cops are the ones that were picked on in school and now they think they're something special and are in it for the power trip. If you are a cop and you are ethical and don't think anyone is above the law - then I still have respect for you. The cops I have the most respect for are those who I tell my cousin are "real" cops" - those that work in inner cities and actually fight crime.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default I do agree on some of these issues,

but I do believe if an officer is on patrol, or on pursuit or surveillence, he has to be able to drive over the posted speed limit or go through red lights. The seconds he saves can mean the difference between a life saved and a tragedy. There again, I'm not advocating cops or anyone in power, should be allowed to flaunt an "I can do this and you can't" attitude when it comes to traffic laws, especially DUI. I have heard of one case in Atlantic County of a cop letting go an off duty officer, after he pulled him over for DUI. The off duty cop later hit another vehicle and killed one of occupants. I don't know what punishment the officers received, but the practice of cops letting one another go in DUI was exposed in the media. Since then, I've seen more DUI arrests involving cops, judges and politicians in the news, so these people aren't getting off the hook like they used to. Nor should they be allowed to.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Beatman - I'm referring to abuse of power and getting special treatment/privileges.

Just tonight my cousin had a new story with his gold PBA card. He was driving today around 4:00 - talking on the phone. A cop pulled him over in Islands Heights. Took his drivers license and registration and put the PBA card under his license. She walked back to her patrol car. Called in the PBA card, walked back within a minute and handed his stuff back to him. Now do you think she would say - "I'm giving you a warning this time", or something like at? Hell no! We're talking about someone who carries a "get out off jail free card" GOLD PBA card. She said instead - "TRY not to talk on the phone while driving" and have a nice day. Try not to talk on the phone? Try not to? I thought it was ILLEGAL to talk on the phone for EVERYONE! Oh yeah - I forgot - we live in New Jersey where certain people are above the law.

It's such bull****. If it was me or anyone else without a PBA card we're screwed - just like when he was doing 90 in 55 and was told just to be careful. Until New Jerseyans demand that NO ONE is above the law, whether they are cops, politicians, judges or anyone else - this state will continue to be rife with corruption. This country was founded under the principal that no one was above the law, not the guy on the street, not the people enforcing the laws, not the politicians making the laws. If the people enforcing the laws can't abide by them - then how can they expect the rest of the population to.

My cousin claims that most New Jerseyans have a PBA card - so I guess it's up to us saps who don't to pay the tickets.

I think it's time for a letter to the editor of the Star Ledger concerning this - but then again - they probably all have PBA cards and wouldn't want to give up their special treatment.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!