View Poll Results: Who do you want for governor?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Corzine - Democrat

0 0%
  • Chris Christie - Republican

3 60.00%
  • Chris Daggett - Independant

1 20.00%
  • Undecided

1 20.00%
  • None of the above

0 0%

Thread: Corzine, Christie, Daggett - What are you looking for in the Next New Jersey Governor

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Corzine, Christie, Daggett - What are you looking for in the Next New Jersey Governor

I was wondering what people are looking for in the next New Jersey governor. Chris Christie - the first politician to ever request AboutNewJersey.com as a friend on MySpace, has a lot of what we are looking for.

We posted the following on his MySpace page -

What New Jersey needs as the next governor...

1) Someone who fights for New JERSEY - and where New Jersey is the #1 priority.

2) Cleans up the statewide corruption that has plagued this state since its founding

3) Supports Tourism - for every dollar spent to promote tourism, it brings in $35 in tax revenue from VISITORS - thus reducing the burden on the New Jersey tax payer. Other states understand the benefits of tourism - California, Florida, New York, Virginia, to just name a few.

4) The Hotel Tax should be used for what it was intended to do, going to fund tourism. It's already at the poison pill level from redirection of funds for special interest projects.

5) Stop exporting our jobs to New York and Philadelphia and start working to attract businesses to our cities. New jersey politicians have fought hard to get approval to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel to export our jobs to New York and an extension of the southern New Jersey rail line to export our jobs to Philadelphia - while our cities such as Camden, Newark, Trenton and others struggle. It would be refreshing to see a New Jersey politician work at least as hard on things that TRULY benefit New Jersey and who doesn't seem to be getting paid from New York and Pennsylvania.

6) Lower taxes PERIOD. Property, business, income tax.

7) Bring a sense of pride and self to New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT an extension of Pennsylvania or New York state, nor are we suburbs of New York and Philadelphia.

8) Work at bringing the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) to open affiliates in New Jersey, preferably Trenton. Outside the very local - NBC Atlantic City, New Jersey is the ONLY state without a major network, yet we are the 10th largest state in the country - Voice for New Jersey and New Jersey TV Network Stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc). In addition, there is NO REASON why when our politicians have campaign debates on the networks, that the moderators should be New Yorkers or Philadelphians. Our debates should ONLY be moderated by New Jerseyans - people who have a vested interest in the BEST candidate for OUR state.

9) Consolidation of our towns and school districts. New Jersey has 566 municipalities and over 600 school districts. Most towns in New Jersey are only 2 square miles on average. This is a waste of resources and causes huge property taxes.

10) Take on the unions and reduce the size of New Jersey state government. There is no reason why government employees should expect more by working for the state than they would get from the private sector. Pensions and benefits need to be kept in line with private companies. It is time to stop the raping of the New Jersey tax payer.

11) Make New Jersey priority #1 - this needed to be said again and can not said enough. We want someone who is going to work for New Jersey, not New York, not Pennsylvania and not the Redwoods in California.

Although AboutNewJersey. com is primarily a tourism website and not overtly political, we will be looking out for what candidate will work the hardest at TRULY representing New Jersey.

We are sure that once the campaign season gets further in - there will be many discussions on the AboutNewJersey. com messageboard discussing the candidates and who is best for New Jersey.

Just like the Devils say they are "New Jersey's team" we want a politician who says they are "New Jersey's Representative"
    So that is what we are looking for. What are you looking for?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

STEVE LONEGAN is what I am looking for. Christie is in the Franks, Forrester and McCain mold IMHO - maybe a good person but handpicked by party bosses and then rammed down our throats. And now he is coming out with positions - COAH for example - that Lonegan shaped months ago! Plus his "state wide" tour? Why does it eliminate all of the southern counties like they dont count - Lonegan has been in Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Ocean counties many times. And - Lonegan raised enough for matching funds in record time - Christie? Bramnick's elite little fundraiser garnered $60k - with a $3400 per person tab - do the math. If Christie gets the nod say hello to four more years of Corzine.

New Jerseyan

Chris Christie started his campaign stops in Newark where he was born and at the end of the day ended it campaigning in a diner in Gloucester county. Gloucester county is in southern New Jersey. It seems to me he has not forgotten about the fine people who live in southern N.J..
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb View Post
    STEVE LONEGAN is what I am looking for. Christie is in the Franks, Forrester and McCain mold IMHO - maybe a good person but handpicked by party bosses and then rammed down our throats. And now he is coming out with positions - COAH for example - that Lonegan shaped months ago! Plus his "state wide" tour? Why does it eliminate all of the southern counties like they dont count - Lonegan has been in Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Ocean counties many times. And - Lonegan raised enough for matching funds in record time - Christie? Bramnick's elite little fundraiser garnered $60k - with a $3400 per person tab - do the math. If Christie gets the nod say hello to four more years of Corzine.
    You didn't really say what you were looking for in a governor though. I think we need someone that will clean up the corruption though and Christie has demonstrated that.

I also agree with NJPride - he has visited southern NJ, and his campaign has only just started. The primary campaign season hasn't even started. I am waiting to see where the candidates stand on my key issues - I just know what aspects I am looking for right now. I will rate the candidates on that.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

It would be nice to see a scenario in which Christie beats Corzine for Governor and Corzine, upon reentry into the private sector goes in with Vanderbeek on a purchase of the Nets from Ratner to bring them to Newark. He tried it once with Kushner (before Kushner went to prison) and actually outbid Ratner, but somehow lost anyway on a technicality.

New Jerseyan

What I look for?
    Someone who has a proven track record of lowering taxes - that's Lonegan

Someone who has a strong position on fighting corruption - that's Lonegan (did you know that Christie NEVER PROSECUTED A CASE IN COURT?) And some that his office have prosecuted are highly suspect - listen to the discussion about the conviction of one Mr. Mister in Atlantic County - get past the newspapers and try listening to the discussion on radio in that area - it was a travesty trumped up to make the prosecutor look like he was fighting corruption. We don't need to be Nifonged in NJ.

Someone who will consolidate SERVICES not districts - districts have a right to their sovereignty - it's not the districts, but the services (superintendents of schools, etc) that need to be consolidated

Someone who is willing to bring his message to all parts of the state - again - Christie had a small, invite only luncheon in Atlantic County and that's as far south as he came - Lonegan has had open public forums in all counties down to Cape May.

Lower taxes, including the hotel tax - Lonegan has a proven track record of doing just that in a heavily democrat district.

Have a detailed plan to make NJ business friendly again to bring ratables back into the states, and not just North Jersey - Lonegan addressed a lot of the industries that used to be in Cumberland, Salem, Atlantic County that have gone away and how to bring them back.

Willing to debate in an open public forum anytime in any county - Lonegan is ready and eager.

Take on the unions - again, Lonegan has done it, and won over building and teachers unions by incorporating into his message their interests - taxes, pensions, job security.

Educational choice - that's Lonegan.

End COAH - that's Lonegan.

End expensive programs like embryonic stem cell research and road construction that would benefit NY more than NJ.

Eliminate highway tolls.

I know Christie is the darling of the print media, but in the southern part of the state (Camden County and south of it) I hear a lot of people saying that they will not be McCained again - that this time they wont suck it up and vote for the party choice, they will stay home if Christie is nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb View Post
    I know Christie is the darling of the print media, but in the southern part of the state (Camden County and south of it) I hear a lot of people saying that they will not be McCained again - that this time they wont suck it up and vote for the party choice, they will stay home if Christie is nominated.
    I;'ll have more to say later. But I wanted to address this - if people stay home because Christie gets nominated - then people in southern New Jersey are just handing the election right over to Corzine. That is definitely the wrong attitude and when we are building things that help NY and Philadelphia more than New Jersey, than whose to blame?

I for one do not have "a person" I am voting for yet. but even if I support Christie - or who ever, I am not going to stay home just because the guy I would rather have get in doesn't win the primary. There is never any one candidate that addresses all of my concerns, or supports all the things I look for, but people have to look at who best supports what they want.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I know it's very early but a recent poll that came out has Christie leading corzine by 6 points. The other Republicans aren't even on the radar screen. Christie does have a great track record of throwing the trash in jail, 131-0.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jerseyan

I am not staying home from the polls either but if Lonegan does not win in the primary I am going to write his name in at the election. I am tired of having party bosses pick weak candidates and then try to rally the troops after the fact.
    Lonegan is the kind of candidate with the resume and bio and experience who ought to have his party courting him but he doesnt and why not? It all dates back to Lonegan objecting in court to Whitman using public money without a public referendum - which is mandated in the NJ Constitution! Then McGreevey took over and replaced one of the appeals judges with a liberal who tipped the decision at the appellate level. And lots of the Republicans lost a lot of that pork they expected to bring home because money Christie would have handed over to her party princes went to the democrats. And the R. party never forgave Lonegan for it and started the smear campaign that never ended. Meanwhile they toss up weak candidates like Forrester while NJ gets flushed down the drain. Im not worried about the people who say they're going to sit out an election - Im worried about the taxpaying productive ones who say they are leaving NJ for good.

i really like lonegan's flat tax. I supported Forbes flat tax when he was running for president. I agree - the graduated tax is communistic. It penalizing people for making money and bettering themselves. I also agree, if we make NJ more tax friendly - people will stay here and even move here, open businesses here and therefore increase the tax revenues.

As I said - my mind isn't made up. However, if the person I end up voting for in the primary doesn't win - I still won't stay home come election day.

New Jersey Proud!

I really like lonegan's flat tax proposal. I supported Forbes flat tax when he was running for president. I agree - the graduated tax is communistic. It penalizes people for making money and bettering themselves. I also agree with Lonegan that if we make NJ more tax friendly - people will stay here and even move here, open businesses here and therefore increase the tax revenues.

As I said - my mind isn't made up. However, if the person I end up voting for in the primary doesn't win - I still won't stay home come election day.

New Jersey Proud!

Well - I just saw Chris Christie on hannity on Fox news with Rudy Guiliani. I was so pissed off at seeing this that I had to post this on Christie's Facebook page - which I have his page as a fan.

I just watched Hannity and I really was supporting you, but I have to really wonder now. First, I don't care that a former New York mayor supports you. Most of our politicians are in bed with New York and we continue to subsidize their city and export our jobs into New York while our cities struggle. Not to mention that when New Jersey won the law suit declaring Ellis Island belonged to New Jersey, Rudy Giuliani made a derogatory comment about New Jersey and that his relatives would never have considered coming to New Jersey. Because NJ politicians are always controlled by New York, we have a 2,75 BILLION dollar we have to pay to build a tunnel into Manhattan - for the sole purpose of creating 44,000 jobs for New York and again subsidizing New York. What is New York's share of this tunnel? Nothing!

I don't want to see a New York lapdog in Trenton - I want someone who will fight and represent New JERSEY! I really have been supporting you, now I will have to look harder at Lonegan.

Just remember these key points that I had posted to you before - What New Jersey needs as the next governor...

1) Someone who fights for New JERSEY - and where New Jersey is the #1 priority.

5) Stop exporting our jobs to New York and Philadelphia and start working to attract businesses to our cities. New jersey politicians have fought hard to get approval to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel to export our jobs to New York and an extension of the southern New Jersey rail line to export our jobs to Philadelphia - while our cities such as Camden, Newark, Trenton and others struggle. It would be refreshing to see a New Jersey politician work at least as hard on things that TRULY benefit New Jersey and who doesn't seem to be getting paid from New York and Pennsylvania.

7) Bring a sense of pride and self to New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT an extension of Pennsylvania or New York state, nor are we suburbs of New York and Philadelphia.

8) Work at bringing the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) to open affiliates in New Jersey, preferably Trenton.
    Outside the very local - NBC Atlantic City, New Jersey is the ONLY state without a major network, yet we are the 10th largest state in the country. In addition, there is NO REASON why when our politicians have campaign debates on the networks, that the moderators should be New Yorkers or Philaldphians. Our debates should ONLY be moderated by New Jerseyans - people who have a vested interest in the BEST candidate for OUR state.

11) Make New Jersey priority #1 - this needed to be said again and can not said enough. We want someone who is going to work for New Jersey, not New York, not Pennsylvania and not the Redwoods in California.

Giuliani did a lot of great things for New YORK and he represented New YORK -- he never cared about NJ. We need someone like that for New Jersey - where NJ is #1.
    I consider myself a Republican - but I don't care about Christ Christie reviving the Republican party, I don't care that the frigging former mayor of New York supports him - which actually turns me off. I would love to have someone in Trenton who would stand up to New York. We don't need someone again who is going to say "walk all over me" and put the state in debt with another 2.75 billion dollars for a tunnel that is only going to help New York. I don't want a governor who is going to tell the Giants and jets - hey - you want to put NY back on your uniforms - fine - we'll even pay you for it. You want naming rights to the stadium - okay, oh - you want naming right to ALL of the Meadowlands sports complex - well that's fine too.

I'm TIRED of this crap from our politicians. We need someone to REPRESENT New Jersey for a change!

New Jersey Proud!

Well needless to say I voted today and it isn't for who I thought it would be when I posted this thread. After the last couple of weeks with Christie running around with Giuliani - I wanted to vote for someone who seemed to care about New Jersey. I don't want another lapdog to New York in Trenton and they way Christie looked on Hanity was that he was just merely Guiliani's lapdog. I have always said - I will vote for the person who demonstrates they truly put New Jersey first and I lost faith in Christie to do that.

New Jersey Proud!

So what do people think about Chris Daggett for Governor? I know someone who is working on his campaign.

He has a history of fighting for New Jersey and standing up for our interests and not cowtowing to New York. He also supports the NJ Tourism industry and understands that it is a key economic engine of New Jersey. He also feels that we need to be more business friendly, that we are losing businesses to New York. We need to put New Jersey first and be more competitive.

Yeah I know, running as an independent puts him at a clear disadvantage. In New Jersey, democrats can basically buy an election and not running as a republican puts him even several rungs lower in the shark invested waters of New Jersey politics.

I really haven't gotten anything from Chris Christie that says "I'm a New Jerseyan", especially since he's now running around with Giuliani who has hardly ever had anything nice to say about New Jersey before. Now we are all of a sudden supposed to forget about all the condescending remarks Giuliani made when he was mayor of New York? As I have stated before, I don't want a governor who is a puppet for New York and Philadelphia - we have had enough of those.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    So what do people think about Chris Daggett for Governor? I know someone who is working on his campaign.

He has a history of fighting for New Jersey and standing up for our interests and not cowtowing to New York. He also supports the NJ Tourism industry and understands that it is a key economic engine of New Jersey. He also feels that we need to be more business friendly, that we are losing businesses to New York. We need to put New Jersey first and be more competitive.
    Funny you should mention this because just today I heard someone on a NJ radio station talk about his friends - all conservatives - shifting not to Christie but to Daggett (they had all been for Lonegan) - the host tried to argue with him but the guy held to his position - he says he just cant bring himself to vote for Christie.

I cannot consider voting for Corzine. I cannot think of a single good thing that his admin accomplished.

I am still undecided, but I definitely will not vote for JS.

Dagget seems interesting and has spoken well on the radio.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Default Chris Christie should advertise

Chris Christie should advertise he is leading with 60% in late polling. BTW I think a vote for Daggett is a waste.