Thread: Ron Jon's

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Ron Jon's

While getting together with family members in Orlando over the New Year's weekend, we took a side trip to Cocoa Beach. We visited what I thought was the "original" Ron Jon's surf shop. Much to my (pleasant!) surprise, their history posted on signs on the wall tells the story of how Ron DiMenna started Ron Jon's on Long Beach Island back in 1961! It was in Ship Bottom.

He must have really been a pioneer when it came to surfing at the Jersey Shore.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren View Post
    While getting together with family members in Orlando over the New Year's weekend, we took a side trip to Cocoa Beach. We visited what I thought was the "original" Ron Jon's surf shop. Much to my (pleasant!) surprise, their history posted on signs on the wall tells the story of how Ron DiMenna started Ron Jon's on Long Beach Island back in 1961! It was in Ship Bottom.

He must have really been a pioneer when it came to surfing at the Jersey Shore.
    JW - believe it not I did take time to respond to your post the day you posted this, but my browser crashed in the middle and lost everything and I just haven't had time to go back. Well here it is.

Wow! I'm surprised you didn't know that Ron John's got it's start in New Jersey. I guess it's understandable though since most people don't really think of New Jersey when it comes to surfing, they think of California, Hawaii and Australia. I don't even think of Florida when it comes to surfing. But in actuality, New Jersey has quite a few good surfing spots. Obviously not like Hawaii, but there is still a lot of surfing in New Jersey.

Ron Johns is now located at the entrance of Long Beach Island right after the bridge. When my brother came out visiting, he's in the navy and while stationed in Hawaii had taken up surfing, he really wanted to go into the ORIGINAL Ron Jon's.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I actually knew Ron i worked for an RV dealership Just off of LBI and Ron was a regular customer. Never saw him were long pants even in the winter
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR