Thread: Royal Carribean's Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Royal Carribean's Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne

In May Royal Carribean starts their maiden voyage from Bayonne to the Bahama's, Canada and the Carribean. I think this is an exciting time for New Jersey. We now have the largest cruice ship in the world - Voyager of the Seas docking at our port.

New York woke up though - unlike New Jersey a lot of times - the problem that caused Royal Carribean to come over to NJ they are now rectifying. They are spending millions of to fix up the Wesrside Piers and they will be adding a cruise pier in Brooklyn too.

In all actuality - New Jersey shouldl be doing more to encrouage cruise ships to come to NJ - for one thing it is much easier for travelers to come into Newark and then get to Bayonne, than it is for people to fly and get to NYC. New Jersey is also much cheaper for overnight stays.

As a side note - I had e-mailed Royal Carribean concerning their webpages for Cape Liberty Cruise Port. They had everyone going over to New York to do things. That has been mostly chnaged now. I received a phone call from the Manager of Corporate Communication- she assured me that she understood the issues between NY and NJ and how it was important for New Jerseyans to get the key mentions on the webpages. She's from New Jersey and her brother still lives here - so she understands.

I do however have to call her back. The site still isn't completely acceptable in my eyes. For on thing - yes they talk about some things to do, but then they only mention NYC when it comes to shopping and eating. We have LOWER taxes than NY - and our restaurants are just as good.

Currently this is what they have written up -

Cape Liberty Cruise Port
    Bayonne, NJ (NY Harbor)

Cape Liberty Cruise Port is located on the New York Bay in Bayonne, New Jersey, and is just seven miles from New York City and three miles from Newark Liberty International Airport. Its waterfront location and convenience to the Big Apple allows visitors easy access to everything New York City has to offer along with providing visitors access to the historic roots of Northern New Jersey.

The One Thing You Don't Want to Miss
    As a symbol of democracy and freedom, the Statue of Liberty is recognized around the world and is synonymous with the United States. You can reach Liberty Island by ferry, departing from Jersey City, New Jersey.

Other Fun Things to Do
    Take a tour of Ellis Island and the Ellis Island Immigration Museum. From 1892 to 1954, the island was the gateway for more than 12-million immigrants to the United States.

Explore the Liberty Science Center located in Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey which features hundred of interactive exhibits, shows, demonstrations and the nation's largest IMAXTM Dome Theater.

Visit the Bayonne Bridge in Bayonne, New Jersey, which is one of the longest steel arch bridges in the world. It's not only impressive in size, but also in looks. When it opened in 1931, the American Institute for Steel Construction named the bridge the 'Most Beautiful Steel Arch'.

See more than a century's worth of fire-fighting history at the Chief John T. Brennan Fire Museum in Bayonne, New Jersey. First used in 1870, the firehouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.

Shopping for Bargains
    New York City is quite literally a shopping mecca. You can find anything and everything here, from the world's finest designers on Fifth Avenue to eclectic boutiques throughout the city. And for souvenirs, you don't have to go far - you'll find a shop on just about every block.

Get a Taste of Local Flavor
    Whether you're looking for an elegant dinner for two or hot dogs for the family, New York City has some of the best food in the world. Grab a sandwich at Sardi's, a deli in Times Square famous for its celebrity-named sandwiches. Or get a slice of the pizza the city is famous for, offered in any number of small restaurants and street vendors.
    The other thing I have a problem with - which may just be an oversite is on their "excursions page" for Ellis Island. This is what they have...

Historic Ellis Island

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours
    Adult: 76.00 (USD) | Child: 76.00 (USD)

No visit to New York City is complete without a visit to historic Ellis Island.

Your tour begins as you board an air-conditioned coach for a brief ride from the ship to the the ferry terminal at Liberty State Park. During the drive, a professional guide will provide historic commentary and answer questions along the way. On arrival at the ferry terminal, you'll board a ferry long with your guide for a brief cruise to Ellis Island.

Approximately 12 million steerage and third class steamship passengers entered the United States through the port of New York at Ellis Island. The Main Building on Ellis Island is now a museum dedicated to the history of immigration and the important role this island claimed during the mass migration of humanity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

At Ellis Island you may visit the immigration museum which includes the Great Hall, and enjoy guided tours as well as an award winning documentary film provided free of charge by National Park Service Rangers. You will have time to visit the bookstore, gift shop and snack bar as well as photograph the NY Skyline in the distance before boarding the ferry for the return cruise to Liberty State Park.

Please note this tour is only available to guests embarking the Voyager for the Canada 5-night cruise and is available for purchase on-line and at the pier on day of embarkation only. Guests who purchased the tour online will be required to submit their tour confirmation letter at time of check-in. Guests purchasing the tour at the pier will be required to check in first in order to receive their Sea Pass (on board charge card). Because the tour leaves promptly at 3:15 pm, we kindly ask that participating guests present themselves at the tour counter no later than 3:00 pm. in order not to delay the tour departure.

For those guests with carry on luggage and do not wish to take them on tour, we would recommend that you check them in at the pier with your other luggage.
    There's one problem with this and that's the first line..."No visit to New York City is complete without a visit to historic Ellis Island." - they're in New JERSEY - NOT New York. It should read "No visit to New Jersey is complete without a visit to historic Ellis Island."

I'm going to have to call them about that one.

For those people who think that writing letters doesn't work, or contacting people doesn't work - let me tell you it does. I also had Delorme modify their New Jersey Atlas & Gazetteer because they did not represent Liberty State Park properly and did NOT show the ferry routes from Liberty State Park to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. They only showed the ferry routes from Battery Park. They contacted me also and said they would look into it and have it corrected. When I bought my new atlas the following year - it was updated with the changes.

If New Jersey is going to get people to respect the state - then people must fight for things like this.

I have some updates. The New Cape Liberty Cruise Port is going to be awesome when it is all complete. The whole pier is going to be redone with housing, shops and aquarium. It will be a beautiful area to go to eat and walk around.

Recent Resident

Default parking for the cruise line

Can anyone tell me where the best parking is located or does RC have a lot to park in?
    thank you

Default Re: parking for the cruise line

Quote Originally Posted by Bettyp
    Can anyone tell me where the best parking is located or does RC have a lot to park in?
    thank you
    Welcome -

Royal Carribean has parking right next to the terminal with shuttle buses.

The area right now isn't the nicest because it's the old military pier. Buildings are boarded up and things like that. It's going to be incredible once they redo everything though.