Thread: The Silmarillion, is it the best piece of work or not?

Lady ***** of the Forest

Default The Silmarillion, is it the best piece of work or not?

Personally, I think JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion was his best piece of work, ever.

My favorite character, is Finrod, King of Nargothrond.

Discuss...

Tourist

I haven't read all of it, but I really enjoyed the beginning because it so closely mirrored the 'Creation Story'. I thought it was an excellent start, and loved how it DID set up a 'creator' instead of just leaving Middle Earth as a 'Godless' planet.

Lady ***** of the Forest

It only made sense to have Middle Earth "created" and have a "creation story" ... all cultures have a "creation story"... why wouldn't JRRT give his cultures one as well?

Lady Luck Admin Sister Golden Hair's Avatar

Although the Silmarillion is not considered to be actual canon because it was posthumously published, it is IMO, the best of Tolkien. This is not to take anything away from Lord of the Rings, which is what actually gives readers their first look at Elves and that inspired desire to know more about these great beings, which the Silmarillion provides. However, volumes 10, and 11 of the Histories of Middle-earth series provides an indepth look at Tolkien's Elves and the First Age, and makes some very needed corrections to the published Silmarillion, which IMO inhances the Silmarillion's meaning and beauty.

Lady ***** of the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
    Although the Silmarillion is not considered to be actual canon because it was posthumously published, it is IMO, the best of Tolkien. This is not to take anything away from Lord of the Rings, which is what actually gives readers their first look at Elves and that inspired desire to know more about these great beings, which the Silmarillion provides. However, volumes 10, and 11 of the Histories of Middle-earth series provides an indepth look at Tolkien's Elves and the First Age, and makes some very needed corrections to the published Silmarillion, which IMO inhances the Silmarillion's meaning and beauty.
    I completely agree. I have VolX and VolXI and I have to say that I love reading them. I'm sure I'll take The Sil with me to Europe. It's the perfect traveler's entertainment. It's paperback, takes up very little room, is quite entertaining, and is just as wonderful read the 10th time as the 1st time.

I can't say how many times I've read it, I really can't recall now.

Lady Luck Admin Sister Golden Hair's Avatar

I can't say how many times I have read it either. Since its publication in 1977 until now, I can say that it amounts to many times, not to mention the day to day passage picks, and just flipping through to various favorite parts. The great part about the Silmarillion, is that nomatter how many times you read it, you learn something new every time. It is a book that never grows old, just like its Elves.

Lady ***** of the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
    I can't say how many times I have read it either. Since its publication in 1977 until now, I can say that it amounts to many times, not to mention the day to day passage picks, and just flipping through to various favorite parts. The great part about the Silmarillion, is that nomatter how many times you read it, you learn something new every time. It is a book that never grows old, just like its Elves.
    Very true. I'm taking a trip to Europe this summer and I'm tempted to bring it... and reread it. The trip is for a month.

I agree with you both, the sil is the best Tolkien book I've read till now. I haven't read the HoME though, they weren't translated, and I think I bought 'Morgoth's Ring' but it didn't get here yet. Probabl;y takes some time.
    I agree it's fun to read it over and over again... seems like you get new info each time that you missed the time before. I reread it not long ago, when I went to Britain... I also finished other books theri (reread the Fellowship, and started reading TTT - in Enlgish! :shock: It was extremely slow)

My favourite character... i'm not sure. I think it'd be Manwe. One would say he didn't do much, and that we don't get much info about his character - but I just like him.