Thread: Who is responsble for our eating habits?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Who is responsble for our eating habits?

This thread is in response to what I feel is a ridiculous lawsuit against KFC.

Suit: KFC is finger-lickin' bad for you
    Fast food chain says suit is 'frivolous' and vows court fight

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A doctor and a consumer group have sued KFC in an effort to stop the chicken chain from cooking with high-fat partially hydrogenated oil.

Dr. Arthur Hoyte, a retired physician from Rockville, Maryland, and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, want a judge to order Kentucky Fried Chicken to use other types of cooking oils.

As an alternative, the suit says, they want to make sure customers are informed about trans fat content immediately before they make a purchase.

KFC spokeswoman Laurie Schalow called the lawsuit frivolous and said the company will fight it in court. Schalow said KFC is looking at using other types of oil for cooking, but it is committed to maintaining "KFC's unique taste and flavor."

KFC provides nutrition and fat information to consumers online and in restaurants, Schalow said.

"We have for a very long time," she said.

Michael Jacobsen, the executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said Louisville-based KFC parent company Yum Brands Inc. knows that other, healthier cooking products are available.

"KFC knows this, yet it recklessly puts its customers at risk of a Kentucky Fried Coronary," Jacobsen said.

Hoyte said he is suing to force KFC to change its cooking practices "for my son and others' kids, so they may have a healthier, happier, trans-fat-free future."

"If I had known that KFC uses an unnatural frying oil, and that their food was so high in trans fat, I would have reconsidered my choices," Hoyte said.

Hoyte and the consumer group are seeking class-action status for the lawsuit and asking a judge to let Hoyte represent anyone who ate at a Washington, D.C.-area KFC in 2004 and 2005. Along with stopping KFC from using oil with trans fats, they are asking for a variety of economic damages.

The Food and Drug Administration says trans fat raises bad cholesterol. The government agency this year started requiring food labels to list trans fats.

The lawsuit is the second time in the last three years that KFC and the Center for Science in the Public Interest have crossed paths.

KFC settled a complaint filed by the group with the Federal Trade Commission in 2004 over ads claiming its fried chicken was compatible with then-popular low-carb diets.

Under the settlement, KFC also was barred from running advertisements saying that eating its food is healthier than eating another food unless it can back the claims up scientifically.
    Personally I feel it is MY responsibility for what I eat. If I choose to eat Burger King everyday - and I get fat - that was my choice. Any deep fried food is not good for you. Ths has been said over and over again - if I choose to eat it and i get heart disease or high blood pressure - I have no one to blame but myself. Are these people going to dictate to me what I can and can't eat in the future? They're already trying to dictate to private enterprise how they cook their food. I'm for individual responsibility - not this nanny state nonsense.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default Ridiculous lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    This thread is in response to what I feel is a ridiculous lawsuit against KFC.

Personally I feel it is MY responsibility for what I eat. If I choose to eat Burger King everyday - and I get fat - that was my choice. Any deep fried food is not good for you. Ths has been said over and over again - if I choose to eat it and i get heart disease or high blood pressure - I have no one to blame but myself. Are these people going to dictate to me what I can and can't eat in the future? They're already trying to dictate to private enterprise how they cook their food. I'm for individual responsibility - not this nanny state nonsense.
    Ridiculous lawsuit is right!
    KFC is making a product that tastes good to consumers. No one has a right to tell them how to cook their food or what ingredients they should use as long as they aren't putting something truly poisonous in it.

Moderation is key. What one chooses to eat IS one's own fault.
    And in a year they'll probably be reporting on the benefits of that oil they've discovered.
    Hell, they go back and forth on eggs being "good" or "bad" every few years.
    There was just a report on the benefits of drinking a certain amount of beer and the same goes for wine.

I will point out there are no benefits to cigarette smoking...
    Wendy
    Back home in New Jersey after some years across the river in Pennsy