Thread: Spirit of the Jerseys: A Centennial Fair

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Spirit of the Jerseys: A Centennial Fair

On May 8th there will be a celebration of New Jersey's historical sites.

Centennial Fair

Experience three centuries of New Jersey history all in one place as we celebrate the 100th anniversary of state historic sites. A historical festival for all ages with live music, exhibits, food, historical demonstrations & crafts, dancing, children's activities and more!

Resources from all of our historic sites will be highlighted throughout the fair at Washington Crossing State Park. Activities include Native American and Dutch foodways, open hearth cooking, period dancing and music, storytelling, a puppet theater, 18th and 19th-century children's games, a 19th century baseball team playing on the field, a tinsmith, weaving, quilting and much more. Try your hand at paper marbling, calligraphy and spinning. There will also be displays, lectures and videos to enjoy. We will also have reenactments with artillery and the children will be able to get involved by performing the drills.

While playing the games of the past and creating historical crafts of your own donít forget to keep an eye out for Walt Whitman, Gen. George Washington, Molly Pitcher and more of New Jersey's historical figures making their way through the fair and remember to get their autographs for a chance to win one of the many scavenger hunt prizes.

Well Spirit of the Jerseys celebrating NJ history is again happening at Washington's Crossing State Park on May 6, 2006.

I have to admit, it's depressing. Even though there are so many things out there to do and with any other state it would be a huge event - here in good ole New Jersey there is very little marketing. People don't know about it so then the only people who end up being there are the people who happened to be at the park anyway and the peopel participating. I IMPLORE all of you - tell 10 people about this great event and tell them to tell 10 people. You can get fliers from Washington Crossing State Park. They have so many things for the family.

Tell us what your favorite moment in New Jersey history is and why? What is your favorite New Jersey historic site? What is your favorite NJ historic figure?

I may be biased, but I love the Revolutionary War sites. New Jersey was the heart of the American Revolution and without the 10 Crucial Days, Washington's Crossing, the Battles of Trenton and the Battle of Princeon, all would have been lost. It is this love for the Revolution and NJ history whch led me to join the Princeton Battlefield Society and of which I am now Vice President.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default Excellent Post!

My favorite NJ history person is William Paterson. If it wasn't for Governor Paterson fighting for our state rights at the Constitutional Convention, NJ wouldn't be on the map right now. His "New Jersey Plan" gave us and the other smaller states a voice. I've been to a lot of historical sites here, from Wheaton Glass Village in Millville, to the Thomas Edison factory in West Orange. I don't have a favorite! They're all special to me. I have to admit, I need to visit the Battlefields. A great source to research our State's history is the NJ Historical Society in Newark. I'll try to go May 8th to the festival!

New Jerseyan

Default history festival

Beatman10 , The festival is Sat. May 6 . I want all of N.J. there ! Help spread the word .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jerseyan

Default N.J. history fair

It looks like N.J. is screwing itself again . The people putting on the NEW JERSEY HISTORY FAIR are allowing people to take part in the fair who will be portraying penn. rev. war troops . I thought this fair was a good idea but it seems we now have 2 penn. organizations and 1 n.y. . The idea was to promote N.J. history NOT other states . I am registered to go but now it seems like I wont !

New Jerseyan

Thumbs up N.J.History Fair

My wife and I went to the N.J. state history fair today . I went as a participant with my N.J. civil war reenactment unit and my wife spent part of the day taking in the fair . From what I and my friends in my unit observed it gets a thumps up . We were able to walk around when we werent doing our demonstrations , there was alot to see . It was a beautiful day at Washingtons Crossing State park in N.J. with alot of people both participating in the fair and visiting . It is an annual event and my unit has already told one of the organizers we will be back to help out again next year . There were alot of different organizations there and hopefully they also felt it was worth being there .And from what I have been told it is still a growing event . Again I give the people who put it on alot of credit it was very well run . After the event there was even a reception for the participants . I spoke to someone I met recently who also participated and he said this was the best one yet . It is nice to see we in N.J. are finally taking pride in our state history . My calender is already marked for next years fair to be held on May 5 2007 .

NJPride -

I was there for a short time. I wanted to check out to see if it was benficial for us to do it next year. I would have stayed later, but I had to take a friend to work. I'm VP of Princeton Battlefield Society and we have participated the last two years, but because of the low turnout everyone voted not to do it this year. I didn't know you were one of the Civil War reenactors. I would have coem over and talked. I also work on the Crossroads of the American Revolution website, so I was over there talking them for a short time (they were located acorss from the Civil War section). I was looking for Alicia who works with the Hancock House, but I didn't find her. I talked to Deborah Peterson who does the cooking demonstration by the Johnson Ferry House.

Anyway - from what I saw it was a really good event this year. I'm going to check to see if I can be part of the planning for next year. Ive already sent out an e-mail to our board members stating that we need to be a part of it next year.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

The more people involved the better . Hopefully more towns and counties such as Morris County can become involved . Morris County has alot it could gain by taking part . For one thing they could tell the story of Jockey Hollow and point out the worst winter of the Rev. War was at Jockey Hollow NOT valley forge . Morristown was also the military capital of the war . And the first national historical park is there also . These places should all have representatives there ! Next year the museum at Washingtons headquarters reopens after completion of an addition ,they will be able to display more of their artifacts and by having people at the fair it will help get word out about the improved museum . Some of my unit members did not even know about Jockey Hollow until I told them about it today , now hopefully they will go visit . This is what the fair is about to promote N.J.s history .