Thread: El Toro

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default El Toro

Well tomorrow I'm off to ride El Toro during the media preview. It looks like a crazy ride - with a 76 degree drop. I'll have to let people know how it is. It's not as high as Nitro and not as steep as Kingda Ka, but still - 76 degree drop is a lot. I'll have a full report tomorrow. If I survive that is.

n June 12, Run With The Bulls At Six Flags Great Adventure As The Monstrous 'El Toro' Wooden Roller Coaster Is Unleashed

Jackson, NJ - El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure's highly-anticipated, monstrous wooden coaster, celebrates its grand opening today in Jackson, NJ. El Toro, which has the steepest vertical drop of any wooden coaster in the world, 76 white-knuckled degrees, marries the smooth height, speed, technology and exciting twisting elements of steel coasters with a classic wooden design.

El Toro's launch will be highlighted by roller coaster enthusiasts from six states taking part in a "Running of the Bulls." Led by "Running of the Bulls" veteran and Spaniard Jesus Urtasun of Riverside, NJ, participants will charge toward the coaster dressed in traditional red-and-white Running of the Bulls attire, and compete to be the first to take on the fierce El Toro. "I can't wait to take the world's ultimate wooden coaster by the horns," said Running of the Bulls participant and roller coaster enthusiast "Coastin' Steve" O'Donnell of Horsham, PA.

El Toro's unique construction was inspired by the agility and strength of the brave matadors, and features a hybrid design that marries the fast-charging drops of a classic "out-and-back" track with the highly-banked turns of a beastly "twister." El Toro also delivers nine "airtime" opportunities, giving riders the highly-sought thrill ride sensation of weightlessness.

At 188 feet tall, reaching 70 mph, El Toro ranks among the tallest and fastest wooden roller coasters in the world. In addition to its record-breaking vertical drop, its 4,400 feet of mountainous track has the second tallest, fastest and longest drop of any wooden coaster in America.

"El Toro breaks new ground for wooden roller coasters, and is the perfect addition to our world-class coaster collection. Thanks to its modern take on classic wood design and its incredibly smooth ride, it caters to coaster lovers of all ages, both thrill seekers and families," said Ron Sevart, vice president and general manager of Six Flags Great Adventure. "El Toro is another major entertainment element of Six Flags Great Adventure's 45th anniversary celebration, one which is already highlighted by more great shows, huggable characters and outstanding guest service than ever before."

El Toro anchors a newly-themed area, Plaza del Carnaval, that evokes the sights and sounds of coastal Mexico. Plaza del Carnaval also features a new Mexican restaurant, La Cocina, new marketplace-style shopping at El Mercado and a new rocking, spinning family ride, Tango. Plaza del Carnaval opened to guests Memorial Day weekend.

To help celebrate the launch of El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure, radio powerhouse 77WABC and its morning hosts Curtis and Kuby, as well as 1050 ESPN, team up for a one-of-a-kind charity event to benefit Children's Miracle Network June 21. The event will feature three hours of exclusive ride time on several of the park's coasters, including El Toro and Kingda Ka, plus the new Bugs Bunny National Park section for kids, a live broadcast and meet-and-greet opportunities with Curtis and Kuby, free breakfast and parking, and more.

Both theme park and sports fans can bid on eBay for premium prize packages and a spot on the VIP guest list for this exclusive event June 21 - the first day of summer. "Sports fanatics and theme park aficionados alike can take pride in knowing that 100% of the proceeds are benefiting Children's Miracle Network," said Bill Towpash, executive director of Children's Miracle Network. For information, log on to www.ebay.com/sixflagsnj

Six Flags celebrates 45th anniversary with extensive entertainment and guest service initiatives

Earlier this season, Six Flags Great Adventure debuted Bugs Bunny National Park, an all-new, wilderness-themed children's area with tons of fun for little ones. Located on Six Flags Great Adventure's picturesque Great Lake, this new kids' area, featuring Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes pals, joins Looney Tunes Seaport and Balin's Jungleland as the park's third section devoted to the youngest thrill seekers. Families can enjoy the great outdoors with six rides, a drenching water tower, Bugs Bunny Wilderness Theater with a high-spirited show for kids, plus Looney Tunes Camp Kitchen with lots of kid-friendly treats, and daily character visits.

Other guest service initiatives that mark Six Flags' 45th anniversary celebration include raising the curtain on a major entertainment program that offers parades, fireworks, exciting stage shows, strolling street performers, "Brunch with Bugs," new VIP experiences, and baby Safari animals.

In addition, DC Comics' JUSTICE LEAGUE characters BATMAN and ROBIN, WONDER WOMAN, AQUAMAN, GREEN LANTERN and THE FLASH greet guests throughout the park's midways.

Six Flags Great Adventure and Wild Safari's 2006 season runs daily through Sept. 4. For more information, tickets, operating calendars and park news, log on to the Great Adventure
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default el toro is el awesomo

I went on El Toro - it was simply incredible! I rode it 12 times, so you can tell I liked it, but then again - there aren't many coasters I don't like. The cool thing about this media event was they had a camera mounted and media personnel were able to sit in front of the camera and get recorded riding the ride. I have three videos - sadly I need to get them converted. I have two in Mini-DV and another in Beta.

I should say too that Stacey, AboutnewJersey.com's intern rode the ride about 6 times I believe. She had a really good time, but had to leave around 3:00. Our last ride of the day El Tor was the last row. That was the best in my opinion, but I never did try the front.

I met these cool guys from ThrillNetworks.com. The problem is, I have no idea what they're names are. it was actually only the one guy that I really "knew" because we had ridden El Toro 2 or 3 times together, and being video taped also. Well hopefully he'll contact me, because I waas going to give hima copy of the tape once I have it converted. I also met up with them at Nitro, and they asked if I wanted to ride with them. It's sort of crazy how you keep running into people at amusement parks. It's funny too - so many times I've noticed people almost hanging out with strangers because a lot of times you end up in the same lines, the same rides, etc. I didn't want to be a bother though, so I let them go on their way while I looked at the Nitro photo (BTW - those familair with the camera placements on the rides, the moved nitros ) Also, ThrillNetowrk,com did a livbe podcast from GA - so you'll be able to listen to it on their site - just go to "In the Loop". The live broadcasts seem to be the "in the Midway" section. Once I find out I'll post a link to them.

Although I stayed at GA until 9:00pm, I actually didn't ride that many rides overall. I mostly walked around.I only rode El Toro, Nitro and Run Away Train. I also went and watched the Alligator show which was very interesting.

I love watching people at GA, especially after the park has closed. It's just great to see how happy people are. People dancing on the way out, laughing, holding hands. It's a great job being able to make people happy like that. AboutNewJersey.com may help people plan their vacation, but we have no role in whether people have a good experience at their hotel or at the beach or anything, that is up to the businesses in those areas. We can only help people know what is out there to do. I think this is why I have always dreamed of owning an Amsuement Park - particularly Great Adventures (shhh - don't tell Six Flags that ).

BTW - one thing I saw today which was really impressive to me. There was a Great Adventure employee, she wasn't a person that picks up the trash, but she saw a lid laying on the ground and she picked it up and threw it in the trash. That is something that Walt Disney World has practiced for a long time, and I hope this will be the norm for GA. No matter who you are in Walt Disney World, you could be the CEO of Walt Disney, if you see something that isn't right, such as trash laying on the ground - taking care of the problem has just become your job. It's what makes the customer experience so special.

Well I guess I'll ppst this and if I forget anything - I will just do another poist. I know there is still a bunch more to talk about. One thing else - the landscaping and theming of the new sections are just incredible - very much Walt Disney caliber. I hope that GA will keep it up and fix up the older section in the same manner. I really do feel that Great Adventures best days are still ahead of it, if the current improvements are any indication.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!