Thread: stranger from Europe :)

Tourist

Default stranger from Europe :)

Hi,
    My name is Kate and I'm from Europe and I'm going this summer to beach haven for summer and work, ( i have already job and apartment)I'm a student I'm taking part at work&travel programm. Could anybody tell my how to reach Beach Haven from New York? on the 14 of june I will land up at JFK airport, and on the 16 of june i want to go to LBI. I read a lot about LBI on the Internet and i hope I will spend there a great time and meet interesting people
    I' will be grateful for any help
    And I'm sorry for any mistake, but i"m just learning english and practice any time i can
    ...see ya

Long Beach Island is exit 63 of the NJ Garden State Parkway. There is no mass transportation that can get you there. You can Check into Atlantic city Buses that stop In Manahawkin on Route 9 and that leaves you about 5 miles from LBI where you can take a cab there. My parents live in Manahawkin and LBI is great. I will try to find out more info on how you can get close to LBI by bus.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kate85
    Hi,
    My name is Kate and I'm from Europe and I'm going this summer to beach haven for summer and work, ( i have already job and apartment)I'm a student I'm taking part at work&travel programm. Could anybody tell my how to reach Beach Haven from New York? on the 14 of june I will land up at JFK airport, and on the 16 of june i want to go to LBI. I read a lot about LBI on the Internet and i hope I will spend there a great time and meet interesting people
    I' will be grateful for any help
    And I'm sorry for any mistake, but i"m just learning english and practice any time i can
    ...see ya
    Welcome Kate and I hope you have a great time this summer! I've been spending a lot of time in in lBI lately and in Beach Haven in particular. I'm becoming very familiar with the area.

AboutNewJersey.com's intern - Stacey Smith is from Manahawkin. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get from NY to LBI. I will try to find out for you. While you are spending time in Beach Haven, make sure you check out Surflight Theatre.

LBI is a more relaxing area of the shore - more laid back than Seaside or Wildwood. LBI doesn't have a boardwalk, but there are many many things to do on the island. I hope you'll be able to post again and share your experiences.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Default thanks a bunch

I'm really surprised You answered me so fast nowI know that i count on support! I'm very excited because it is my first so far voyage so far from home...Fortunately I'm going with my best friend Marta. We will spend whole 3 months on LBI of course i have a lot of questions but soon I'll find out how it's to live on this island
    I have one immportant question! Do you know if I could have a free of charge access to Internet? maybe at public library? It's very immportent because I would like to have a contact with me parents and write them an e-mail from time to time
    It is just 2 days and we set out to look for adventures see ya

I'm really surprised You answered me so fast nowI know that i count on support!
    We're very freindly here and I'm sure you will get a lot of support in Beach Haven. Like I said - go to Surflight and make sure you tell them AboutNewJersey.com sent you.
    I'm very excited because it is my first so far voyage so far from home...Fortunately I'm going with my best friend Marta. We will spend whole 3 months on LBI of course i have a lot of questions but soon I'll find out how it's to live on this island
    Well our paths may cross on the island. It is really nice. If you want to know some things also, Stacey has just recently worked on an LBI write-up.
    I have one immportant question! Do you know if I could have a free of charge access to Internet? maybe at public library? It's very immportent because I would like to have a contact with me parents and write them an e-mail from time to time
    Most libraries do offer free internet access. If you get access, I hope you will continue to post on the board and share your experiences.

BTW - I would recommend getting a bike. There are plenty of bike rental places, but if you have your own, you can really explore a lot. I don't think there is much of a public transportation network on the island at all. Biking on the island is very big though.
    It is just 2 days and we set out to look for adventures see ya
    I hope you have a great time and go back home with a lot of great memories! I was wondering, what made you choose LBI? I know a lot of foreign exchange workers work at Seaside, Great Adventure and Atlantic City, as well as many other locations. I'm not as familair with the worker exhcange program with LBI. We did have a former exhcange worker from Ireland come on the board and post about their experience in Seaside - Best Pizza in Seaside - he was MunsterRed.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

We (me and Marta) are from Poland. we had no influence where we get a job, but we are glad there we'll spend summer on LBI. Our organization studentpoint/Interexchange Inc., picked up a job offer for us. My friends from Poland already work at Atlantic City and i hope I'll visit them.
    I have one more question my father's cousin lives at Brick, is it far away from LBI?, I don't know her but I would like to go there, meet and talk.But I have only adress, no telephone. So can I get to Brick by bus? and how much time it takes me?
    and we will be grateful for any suggest how to get LBI from NY
    Last edited by Kate85; 06-12-2006 at 03:36 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Welcome!

Hi Kate and Marta. There is a saying: "There are no strangers here only friends we haven't met yet!"

I went to a high school that had lots of students of Polish ancestry. We had a cheer at football games:

Ooo, sa, sa, sa

Ooo, sa, sa, sa

Hit 'em in the head

With a big kielbasa!

I hope you have a wonderful summer on Long Beach Island!

Tourist

haha polish kielbasa is really delicious

Here is info I found on a Website on how to get to LBI

Public Transportation to LBI
    Long Beach Island itself has no Public Transportation System. Presently, there is no way to get onto the island using Public Transportation. The best you can do is get to Manahawkin and then Get a Taxi to drive you across the bridge.

While this may seem inconvenient, it is one of the factors that contribute to the island's quiet and restful atmosphere.

The information below is not guaranteed to be complete. It is always best to visit the web sites suggested or call the transportation provider for full details. Mistakes on this page or other suggestions can be forwarded to the Webmaster.

If you cannot find a mode of transport from your departure point, try posting in our Questions and Answers Area. LBInet visitors can help you find a way to the island.

Choose a mode of Public Transport:

Bus Service
    Trains
    Taxi
    Bus Service
    Visit the New Jersey Transit Web Site for more information.
    from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Bus Route 551 to Atlantic City, New Jersey
    Bus Route 559 to Manahawkin
    Taxi to LBI

from New York or Newark, New Jersey
    Bus Route 67/319 to Tom's River
    Taxi to LBI

from Atlantic City, New Jersey
    Taxi to LBI

Trains
    Visit the Amtrak Web Site for schedules and other information.

from Philadelphia, PA (30th St. Station)
    Take the train to Atlantic City.
    Then take NJ Transit Bus Route 559 to Manahawkin. Taxi to LBI.

from New York City, NY or Newark, NJ
    There is no direct train service to Manahawkin or Atlantic City.
    You can take a train to a station that intersects the train from Philadelphia, but it would be easier to take NJ Transit Bus Route 67 to Tom's River, then Rt. 559 to Manahawkin.
    Taxi to LBI.

from Washington, D.C.
    Take a train to Philadelphia. Then take a train to Atlantic City. Take NJ Transit Bus Route 559 to Manahawkin. Taxi to LBI.

Taxi
    Once in Manahawkin, the only way onto LBI is via car.

Express Taxi 597-5106
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Thank you all for information i really didn't espect that so many nice and helpful people answer me

I think we'll choose a bus,
    we'll spent two nights at New York so we'll find out more detales about bus service on-site.

Be sure to catch the Sunday Brunch at the Quartedeck at the entrance to LBI its great. i will be down this weekend and again JULY 7th thru the 19th.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Be sure to catch the Sunday Brunch at the Quartedeck at the entrance to LBI its great. i will be down this weekend and again JULY 7th thru the 19th.
    I should crash your vacation sometime between the 7th - 19th. I do plan on going to see Annie Get Your Gun at Surflight sometime within the week or two.

BTW - I checked out a lot of things around Beach Haven when I was there a couple of days ago. Chicken or the Egg seems like an interesting restaurant and they're open 24 hours. I love 24 hour places, they have a certain vibe to them. I remember the all night diners. Sadly it seems so many of those are going away and now only open till 1:00; 2:00 tops.

Another place - check out Show Place Ice Cream Parlor. Now warning about this place - it really pays to be an outgoing person - unlike me. It is a really fun place though and the audience really gets into it. It's right next to Surflight. Stacey did a write-up on it which I will link to from here once I get the pics on it.

I'm glad you find the people here helpful, I'm sure you'll find the same thing on LBI.

New Jersey Proud!

BTW - my ancestory is polish. Pawlkowski I believe. Sadly I've lost touch with a lot of my relatives from my mother's side after she died. Supposedly my ancestors came from a polish area that bordered russia. My mother was irish and polish, my father italian and Czechoslovakian. Since I don't know what area of Czechoslovakia they came from, I really don't know if today it would be considered Czech or Slovac. I have a feeling it was the Slovac section though. My grandmother used to make homemade perogies - those were awesome, and Halupkies (stuffed cabbage). Basically for the holidays - Christmas was Italian and Easter was Polish and Slovac - with deviled eggs (which I don't like) and ham, fresh and smoked kielbasa. My grandmother used to also make homemade right from scratch - poppy seed bread and another similar kind of bread (which I actually liked more) that I can't remember the name of. Growing up I always heard how Easter dinner had to be brought into the church to be blessed when my mother was growing up.

I know - I know - MAJORLY off subject - but oh well, I miss the Polish/Slovac holiday and celebrations we used to have.

New Jersey Proud!

I have one more question my father's cousin lives at Brick, is it far away from LBI?, I don't know her but I would like to go there, meet and talk.But I have only adress, no telephone. So can I get to Brick by bus? and how much time it takes me?
    Bricktown - as I still call it - is about an half hour - 45 minutes north. I grew up in Bricktown on Michigan Ave, off of lanes Mill Rd. I still love bricktown, although much of it has changed, amazingly much of the area I grew up with is still the same though.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

hi, thank you all again
    for 6 hours we setout so next time I'll write from LBI
    if you see two cheerful, always smiling girls with dark hair, You can be sure that it's Kate and Marta

see you!

hi, thank you all again
    for 6 hours we setout so next time I'll write from LBI
    if you see two cheerful, always smiling girls with dark hair, You can be sure that it's Kate and Marta

see you!
    Have a great time and look forward to hearing about your experiences. I'll be looking out for two smiling girls with dark hair. Have fun!

New Jersey Proud!