View Poll Results: Is HBO's The Soprano's good for New Jersey.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 62.50%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not sure

6 37.50%

Thread: Does the Sopranos give New Jersey a good or bad image

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Does the Sopranos give New Jersey a good or bad image

I was just wondering if HBO's The Sopranos gives people outside the state a negative or positive - or even just a neutral impression of the state and is the show good for New Jersey.

Overall I would probably have to say that whatever anyone thinks about NJ by watching the show - it is positive for tourism. People, because of the show, are interested in NJ. I'm sure because of the show - many people think that New Jersey is filled with mob bosses and maybe the opening scene confirms the stereotype with the toll booths - but it is actually a part of NJ. People may find this hard to believe, but I like the industrial zones in northern NJ and the Turnpike - it's part of New Jersey's character - as long as it's not the ONLY thing that people think of when they think of the state.

I feel the show also shows many things that people don't know about. The opening scene represents the state I think. Coming from the industrial area around New York - to the suburban area where Tony lives. They've had episodes of the Jersey Shore, the Pine Barrens and Asbury Park. I think people interested in the show come to see the hangouts and various other locations on The Sopranos and then find out that New Jersey has far more to offer than they realized.

It is rather upsetting that The Sopranos tour is a New York "attraction" - but I guess it's good that they have to come across the river to actually do the tour. It does get people who are visiting or vacationing in New YORK - into New Jersey - who may never have come here in the first place. That in my opinion is a MAJOR positive. However, it would be rather interesting to know if they bad mouth New Jersey during the tour - like NY usually does. I've been planning on taking the tour. If anyone has taken the tour - let me know how they do treat New Jersey.

Wow - this is an old thread. I'm trying to think how much I still agree with this. I often rethink things. I would probably still lean toward the Sopranos being good for tourism - but I don't neessarily think it's good for the NJ image. But maybe it isn't such a bad thing for people outside NJ to think "don't mess with a New Jerseyan" As the slogan on t-shirts down the shore say - "Only the Strong Survive in New Jersey"
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Have you gone on the tour yet? If someone makes a disparaging comment, look at them all "I could be in the mob"ish and say, "I'm from New Jersey."

I haven't actually seen the Sopranos. But speaking of mob movies, where is The Godfather set? Though it doesn't necessarily give that city a good impression, I don't actually think Chicago or New York or wherever it was set is really like that.

Movies =/= reality people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    Have you gone on the tour yet? If someone makes a disparaging comment, look at them all "I could be in the mob"ish and say, "I'm from New Jersey."

I haven't actually seen the Sopranos. But speaking of mob movies, where is The Godfather set? Though it doesn't necessarily give that city a good impression, I don't actually think Chicago or New York or wherever it was set is really like that.
    The Godfather takes place in NY and NJ, which is fnny, because when people think of the mob, they generally think of NJ first, yet most of the Godfather takes place in NY. However, many of the "memorable" scenes in the Godfather seem to take place in NJ. The turnpike scene where they shoot up that guy, and then they knock someone off in the Meadowlands. In Godfather III a lot of it revolves around Atlantic City.

I think what the problem is is that hardly anyone knows anything about NJ, whereas everyone seems to know exactly what NY is like - Empire State Building, Central Park, New York Stock Exchange, Donald Trump, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Rockefeller Christmas Tree. When it comes to NJ, no one knows anything about NJ. They think they do, solely because of how it's portrayed in the movies - people with odd accents, the mob, turnpike, women with big hair. Is that New Jersey? Only parts, while most of NJ is wilderness, small colonial towns and villages, white sandy beaches, etc. Movies don't really portray the beauty,culture and history of NJ for it to make it into the minds of people, whereas Miracle on 34th Street is played every Christmas, the Empire State Building and Central Park are in so many movies, that those things overshadow any of the negative images that movies may portray about NY. Shows like NYPD Blue can be on TV and not end up giving NY a black eye. if that show was based in NJ - I would almost guarantee that most people would seriously think that NJ is full of crime and that it would be a true representation of the state.

Movies =/= reality people.
    it may not be the truth, but it's all about perception. If someone only knows what NJ is like by seeing it through numerous movies and tv shows - it doesn't matter what the state is ACTUALLY like. Here is a case in point which I will be posting about - everyone is going on and on about Camden being rated as the most dangerous city in the US (it's plastered all over the web, from CNN to ABC to even BBC) - yet the data they use is two years old. At the same time everyone is going on and on about Camden, the fact that NJ is the eighth most liveable states doesn't even make the news (while picturesque Washington State is 25, "beautiful" California is 35 and fabulous NY is 30 ). But then ask anyone where they would rather be - NJ or any of those other states - I can tell you the majority of people would look at you and say "New Jersey? You joking?" And it all has to do with the way the state is portrayed in the media.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Maybe Garden State will make people think New Jersey is surreal. (I've seen it, cool movie! I love Natalie Portman and Zach Braff.)

Recent Resident

Default Any publicity is good publicity

I think the country sees NJ as a place to live, with its own little nuances for better or worse, with the tremendous popularity of this show. We are not just a highway between NYC and Philly. Plus people can see just from Tony's house that we have very nice areas to live in. I think this show is GREAT for the state. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a tough guy image.

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    I think the country sees NJ as a place to live, with its own little nuances for better or worse, with the tremendous popularity of this show. We are not just a highway between NYC and Philly. Plus people can see just from Tony's house that we have very nice areas to live in. I think this show is GREAT for the state. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a tough guy image.
    That reminds me of the t-shirt which is sold at Seaside Heights on the boardwalk - "Only the strong survive in Jersey"

I agree - I don't realy mind the state having this "tough guy" image and the mafia has been romaticized. I don't really think the Sopranos is something we should be ashamed of, but something we should use as a marketing vehicle. Whether people like it or not, the mafia exists in NJ and for better or worse, is part of New Jersey's heritage. Being part italian, I have never been ashamed of the godfather, or mafia movies. I don't think they give all italians a bad name, just like I don't think the Sopranos are reall bad for NJ.

New Jersey Proud!

Bada Bing

Recent Resident

It does good to NJ.

Recent Resident

I think it does a bit of both. Sort of depends on how you look at it. I mean sure its a "mobster" series, but look how much praise the great state of New Jersey gets on the show.

Recent Resident

I think it does a lot of good overall. As mentioned it shows that there are a lot of great places to live and locations in new jersey. On the other hand it might make some people think that new jersey has a lot of crime and mafia.