2 40.00%
  • Meryl Streep

0 0%
  • Budd Abbot & Lou Costello

1 20.00%

Thread: Greatest NJ Arts & Entertainment Figures

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Greatest NJ Arts & Entertainment Figures

Here is where you can post about who you think should be included in the Arts & Entertainment figure category. Pleasse give a reason why, since not everyone may be familiar with the person's accomplishments.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Okay, surprisingly I got the Arts & Entertainment category - although I suppose it's not too surprising. I just thought I was going to get historical. So now I have my list of 20 candidates I'm supposed to widdle down to just 5 by September 6th. I have to determine what criteria I will use to do this. I can go by historical and name reognition, but I also think a prime aspect has to be how much they promote NJ. Do or did they represent NJ? or did they become famous and just hardly has anything to do with NJ?

What are people's thoughts?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I've decided that the most important thing when choosing the people is not only whether they are great people, but are they great New Jerseyans. I think it's important that they have pride in New Jersey. There are several on the list that I know still have their roots in New Jersey. I would like to see MORE famous New Jerseyans though take the national spotlight to dispell the negative stereotypes this state has. I've seen some do it - but not as many as I would like. There was one New Jerseyan - who at the time I did not know he was from New Jerseyan - who is very proud of this state, that is Scott Wolf from Party of Five. About five years ago or so, he was the host on Saturday Night Live and he did his WHOLE monologue on how GREAT New Jersey is. The things he said - I couldn't have said better. I think it's important that we recognize those New Jersey; the ones are willing to take a national stand to dispel the negative stereotypes and go out and make a difference for New Jersey.

At the same time, the big names, it's important to announce to the world that these are New Jerseyans. These are the New Jerseyans you see everyday who have changed the face of the world and you didn't know it.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Of all the people listed, Frank deserves it. He's made it worldwide.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Frank Sinatra

I had no choice but to vote for Frank because he was our family's "official" singer while I was growing up! In fact, my father was pretty much a Sinatra clone. He grew up in Union City (once part of West Hoboken). He had a Genoese mother and Southern Italian father (like Frank) and even had that cocky, swaggering "attitude" that is so much associated with New Jersey. Now I know Sinatra pretty much abandoned New Jersey to spend most of his adult life in California, and that is sad, in my opinion. But no one else before Springsteen was so much identified with New Jersey. Everyone knew Frank came from Hoboken.

Now Bruce did a better job than Frank in incorporating New Jersey references into his songs, but that was because he wrote his own songs. Sinatra just sang, and did so better than any male vocalist in the history of recorded music, in my opinion. He was really of my parents generation, but to every New Jerseyan who grew up in an Italian-American family, Sinatra's music was ubiquitous! Take two Baby Boomers, one who grew up in New Jersey and the other in Kansas. How is it that the New Jerseyan knows all the words to "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "The Lady Is a Tramp" and "All The Way" but the Kansan doesn't? Because those Sinatra songs flooded our homes when we were growing up!

I love this quote:

"Growing up as an Italian in New Jersey there were three staples in my childhood: a picture of the Pope in the living room, a pot of tomato sauce simmering on the stove, and Frank Sinatra playing in the background."
    U.S. Senator Robert Torricelli

We didn't have a picture of the Pope in the living room (just religious statues in the bedrooms), but two out of three captures my childhood perfectly.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-03-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Its got to be THE BOSS. I went to Carnagie Hall last night in NY. They were doing a tribute to Bruce. 20 artists doing Bruce Songs to Benifit The Children Musicians of NY. The crowd was mostly from JERSEY because everytime it was mentioned in a song the Crowd went Nuts. BRUCE showed up at the end and did a great version of Rosalita with all the acts. JERSEY was well represented!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Other New Jerseyans:

Connie Francis
    Queen Latifah

Although personally for me it would be a tough choice between Bruce and Frank

Quote Originally Posted by NewarkDevil5
    Other New Jerseyans:

Connie Francis
    Queen Latifah

Although personally for me it would be a tough choice between Bruce and Frank
    NewarkDevil5 -

Queen Latifah is once again promoting New Jersey and Newark! Tonight the premier of Hairspray, which she stars in, is taking place at NJPAC. John Travolta (fellow New Jerseyan), Meryl Streep (fellow New Jerseyan), Christopher Walken and herself will be taking NJ Transit to Penn Station Newark and then taking the Light Rail system to NJ Performing Arts Center for the Premier. It's supposed to be a huge event. She really does A LOT to promote Newark.

New Jersey Proud!