Thread: Steve Lonegan blasts toll increases for

New Jerseyan

Default Steve Lonegan blasts toll increases for

NY tunnel project.
    This morning on NJ 101.5, Steve Lonegan did a commercial totally condemning the use of NJ taxpayer and toll money to build the Rail Tunnel for New York. In the commercial, he stated that this tunnel will only benefit NY, not NJ, and that if NY wants a tunnel, NY should foot the bill, because they would be reaping all that income tax generated, not NJ. The commercial finished with Steve saying "New Jersey has been getting the short end of the stick, and it's getting shorter". Now I'm not going to tell everyone to jump on the Lonegan bandwagan, but it's refreshing to hear a politician "finally get it", what we on this website have been saying for years!!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

beatman - sorry I haven't been around much. I really have a lot to say about this as well as many other things that are going on in New Jersey OBVIOUSLY.

As you know I am ONE HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT against the second rail tunnel. It's only to promote NY and NOTHING that will benefit NJ. We are exporting our jobs to New York, instead of putting that money to work in OUR cities and attracting businesses to Newark, Jersey City, Camden, Trenton, etc. It is time New Jerseyans woke up and realized that as close as New York is - the money generated in New York City does NOT go to the New Jersey coffers - it goes to NY state.

I told someone - when I see the traffic going through the tunnels into NY during rush hour in the morning - I don't see cars, I see New Jersey's money going through those tunnels. NY is like a giant leech on New Jersey and our politicians continue to let them be. I say it's time to take a knife and scrape off the two leeches - New York and Philadelphia - before they bleed this state dry.

Do you know that most New Jerseyans don't even know about this ridiculous tunnel and that the Star Ledger actually supports it???
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default I still buy the Newark Star Ledger everyday

even though they removed "Newark" from their logo. The paper bills itself as "The Newspaper for New Jersey". More accurately, it should say "The Newspaper for New Yorkers who move to New Jersey" They must feel as though they have to cater to a pro NY audience. When the Real Estate section does an article on a specific town, it always brings up the "Commute to Manhattan" angle, as if that's the only reason to live in NJ, so you can work in NY!! With all that said, I still read the Star Ledger because it is currently the closest thing we have to a statewide newspaper.

New Jerseyan

Not only am I tired of our toll hikes supporting projects like this - and I was glad to hear Lonegan shine light on it when it came out - I am getting fed up with the poor maintenance of the toll booths in the state - mostly in south Jersey where I was doing a lot of driving lately - I REFUSE to get ez pass which I think is a scam and have heard nothing but bad from friends who went for it - BUT - so many times I toss in the correct change and nothing happens - if you toss in another quarter or so then it registers - okay you can honk and hope for the best but you still might get one of those toll violations in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb View Post
    Not only am I tired of our toll hikes supporting projects like this - and I was glad to hear Lonegan shine light on it when it came out - I am getting fed up with the poor maintenance of the toll booths in the state - mostly in south Jersey where I was doing a lot of driving lately - I REFUSE to get ez pass which I think is a scam and have heard nothing but bad from friends who went for it - BUT - so many times I toss in the correct change and nothing happens - if you toss in another quarter or so then it registers - okay you can honk and hope for the best but you still might get one of those toll violations in the mail.
    one choice is to go to cash lane and get a receipt.

I also try to avoid tolls on GSP when practical. (through use of map though this may not be practical in some situations)

unfortunately it seems that NJ is using some of FED money to benefit NY by building the tunnel project.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Tourist

Default Steve Lonegan blasts toll increases for

Boy you certainly like to JUMP to conclusions.

His saying that he is going to take you out is not the same as "Im going to have you killed".

A more likely meaning, since he was saying it on camera, was that he is going to get him fired.

Arthur