View Poll Results: Do you support the takeover of New York/New Jersey MetroStars (or Metrostars)?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

3 100.00%

Thread: Before Red Bull New York

Recent Resident

Default Before Red Bull New York

Hey, I have a few questions about MetroStars. If you can answer them I greatly appreciate it.

1) Is it MetroStars (as I am writing it) or Metrostars?
    2) Where can I find the definitive history of the football club? (Founded, trophies etc) I have looked already but all I get is the Red Bull stuff
    3) Can you tell me about the Giants stadium? (Max. attendance, "soccer specific" etc)
    4) The club was originally named New York/New Jersey MetroStars (or Metrostars) but what is the actually connection to New York?
    5) Am I right in saying the club, the stadium and/or training facilities are in New Jersey?

I can't think of anymore now but if you could help me with these I'd be grateful. Thanks
    Last edited by Monk; 06-21-2008 at 10:43 AM.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Hey, I have a few questions about MetroStars. If you can answer them I greatly appreciate it.

1) Is it MetroStars (as I am writing it) or Metrostars?
    2) Where can I find the definitive history of the football club? (Founded, trophies etc) I have looked already but all I get is the Red Bull stuff
    3) Can you tell me about the Giants stadium? (Max. attendance, "soccer specific" etc)
    4) The club was originally named New York/New Jersey MetroStars (or Metrostars) but what is the actually connection to New York?
    5) Am I right in saying the club, the stadium and/or training facilities are in New Jersey?

I can't think of anymore now but if you could help me with these I'd be grateful. Thanks
    They were known as the MetroStars - I believe with the "S" capitalized.

The reason you only get the Red Bulls stuff is because they were bought out and renamed.

Here is some information on Giants Stadium. Although you will not get information specific to it being used as a soccer venue.

There was ZERO connection with New York, nor does the Red Bulls have ANY connection with New York. The so-called New York Giants, and New York jets also have ZERO connection to New York. They just like snubbing New Jersey, while taking our money.

I refuse to support any team that plays in NJ and calls themselves a New York team. I actively root against the Red Bulls, Giants and the Jets.

I can try to fill this out with some information, just wanted to give you something to get you started.

Also, during the final years of the MetroStars history, they had dropped New York form their name and were generally just known as the NJ MetroStars or just the MetroStars. I do not know if they had ever officially changed their name though.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

1) Thanks

2) So the MetroStars history and everthing has just been forgotten?

3) Thanks again

4) No connection right, got that. That confuses me though. Why were they called New York before they dropped it (which I think was a good move)?

1)
    2) So the MetroStars history and everthing has just been forgotten?
    Yeah basically the MetroStars have completely been left behind. I don't think the Red Buls even acknowledge that they even existed. As far as the team, this is a new team with no association with the old MetroStars.
    4) No connection right, got that. That confuses me though. Why were they called New York before they dropped it (which I think was a good move)?
    I won't go into detail here, but as I explained in the other thread - a team having NY in their name is purely a marketing gimmick See in general New York and New Yorkers think they're better than New Jersey and New Jerseyans - so teams feel that if they don't include NY in the name - New Yorkers won't support them. They think New Yorkers will think the team is beneath them.. So basically the teams that carry NY in their name - like the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls - are basically just kissing New York's ass and bowing down to their immaturity of them thinking they're the center of the world. Wait for a New Yorker that is too small of an area - I mean center of the UNIVERSE. It's ironic - New Yorkers don't even care at all about the Red Bulls and the NY nightly news doesn't even cover them. New Jersey news on the other hand covers them.

BTW - you're welcome. It's my pleasure answering your questions.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

That just adds fuel to the fire. I mean forgetting a team and its history, good or bad, is wrong. This is why I think it is bad for football/soccer. Big corporation comes in buys a football club and tears up everything about the club and makes a new one. In any other case it sounds like a bailiff or bounty hunter or something collecting unpaid debt or similar.

So if a new team was created by the supporters or indeed someone who supports the ideologies of the NJ people... they'd call it New Jersey MetroStars? I know I would... And it has given me somethings to think about.

That just adds fuel to the fire. I mean forgetting a team and its history, good or bad, is wrong. This is why I think it is bad for football/soccer. Big corporation comes in buys a football club and tears up everything about the club and makes a new one. In any other case it sounds like a bailiff or bounty hunter or something collecting unpaid debt or similar.
    The RedBulls claim that they never abandoned the MetroStars history, yet the thing is - they list their founding date as "2006", not when the MetroStars and the franchise was actually founded. Also, I don't believe you can find any history concerning the MertroStars on the Red Bulls website - I think they start it out when they purchased the team.
    So if a new team was created by the supporters or indeed someone who supports the ideologies of the NJ people... they'd call it New Jersey MetroStars?
    Exactly. As I said - the owners of the Devils are proud to call New Jersey home and fully support New Jersey. Right now the Devils are supposedly trying to buy the NJ Nets to keep them in NJ. The Devils also started up the Ironmen - our Major Indoor Soccer team and they are proudly called New Jersey. Last year they also bought the Trenton Titans and renamed them the Trenton Devils. The Trenton Titans were the minor league hockey team for the Philadelphia Flyers - from Pennsylvania. Now the Trenton Titans are TRULY a 100% New JERSEY team owned by the New Jersey Devils instead of a Philadelphia team. The purchase of the Trenton Titans was a good move on the Devils part I feel because it enables the devils to build up their fan base in the southern portion of the state, whereas it is mostly Flyer fans south of Trenton.
    I know I would... And it has given me somethings to think about.
    I have to say that it is really great and interesting that a person from England has taken such an interest in this, because so many New Jerseyans are just apathetic to the whole NY thing. This is one of the reasons why the teams get away with it.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I have to say that it is really great and interesting that a person from England has taken such an interest in this, because so many New Jerseyans are just apathetic to the whole NY thing. This is one of the reasons why the teams get away with it.
    Well, I am very interested and knowledgeable in the politics of football and because football is such a global sport it can be seen as something that unites the world. I see this at tournaments like the World Cup and believe that if something is not right in football it should be sorted (i.e. racism etc) and if its in football it is affecting other areas of life and should also be sorted. Using racism as an example, if steps were taken to stamp it out in football, people will take a good look at themselves and stamp it out outside of football. Red Bull buying football clubs and Formula 1 teams shows that "outside" big corporations have to much power. I'm not saying that Communism should be brought into affect (not a good idea at all!) but when massive companies become so big it's all money to them... We're just pawns to them.

Rant over. lol

Well, I am very interested and knowledgeable in the politics of football and because football is such a global sport it can be seen as something that unites the world. I see this at tournaments like the World Cup and believe that if something is not right in football it should be sorted (i.e. racism etc) and if its in football it is affecting other areas of life and should also be sorted. Using racism as an example, if steps were taken to stamp it out in football, people will take a good look at themselves and stamp it out outside of football. Red Bull buying football clubs and Formula 1 teams shows that "outside" big corporations have to much power. I'm not saying that Communism should be brought into affect (not a good idea at all!) but when massive companies become so big it's all money to them... We're just pawns to them.

Rant over. lol
    I agree - sports are a microcosm of life really, I hadn't really seen this until I moved out to Indiana and saw how passionate they were for their sports teams. During the cold war era - the Soviet Union and America used to fight it out in the Olympics. America won the gold in hockey - but the game that meant anything to Americans was the win against the Soviet Union, not the gold winning game. It was rivalry that was the big draw. Just like this year during the Stanley Cup playoffs - The NJ Devils were up against the NY Rangers in the first round. Devils fans could have dealt with losing to ANY team BUT the Rangers. As it ended up - we ended up losing and it just sucked.

I also completely agree about your assessment on companies buying up teams and not really caring about the sport or the fans - all it is is another way for the company to market their product. Red Bull just wants to sell their damn energy drink - they don't care about the team, the fans, NY or NJ. They even said when they were renaming the team to NY that it was because NY had more international name recognition than New Jersey.

BTW - this is a side question concerning your comment on racism - doesn't France have a big racism problem in their teams? I had heard there were conflicts between the fans and the African players. When I lived in central New Jersey I used to get French news - now that I live down the shore, I no longer get French news.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Exactly. And in all honesty I really doubt that Red Bull even care about Austria, even if that is where their product was "born".

Yeah France have a big racism problem as do Spain. When English teams go to play in France or Spain their black players are almost always racially abused which is, and always has been, quite pathetic. Racism in English football hasn't been sorted out but it is noticeably less than 20 or 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-23-2008 at 06:30 AM.