Thread: Parkway Signs

Default Parkway Signs

I lived in Colonia growing up and headed down the Parkway or Route 35 to hit the beach every chance I got.

What I always marveled at was that you could be no where near the Parkway and there was always a sign pointing you towards the Parkway. Certainly made me confident exploring new areas without a map because there was always a Parkway sign to get me home.

Who are the mad Parkway sign planters? They did a great job!
    Wendy
    Back home in New Jersey after some years across the river in Pennsy

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    I lived in Colonia growing up and headed down the Parkway or Route 35 to hit the beach every chance I got.

What I always marveled at was that you could be no where near the Parkway and there was always a sign pointing you towards the Parkway. Certainly made me confident exploring new areas without a map because there was always a Parkway sign to get me home.

Who are the mad Parkway sign planters? They did a great job!
    I have no idea who they were... but one thing I do know is this: The Garden State Parkway is likely what inspired me to become a highway engineer. As a kid I was fascinated by the Yellow, Green and White Parkway Maps that were available for free at every toll plaza, and how the Parkway connected all the places and people of our state together. Transportation remains my passion to this very day, and I still have one of those maps in a box somewhere that I plan to frame someday.

We often ended up taking Route 35 Down The Shore from North Jersey, too... especially between 1971 and 1975 (when we moved Out West). Back before they put in the express lanes, the Parkway was... well, a Parking lot... on Saturday mornings, far worse than it is today.

Did you guys have any favorite landmarks on Route 35 to and from the Shore? We used to stop at the Dari-Treet (now Lisa's Pizzeria) at Laurence Harbor for ice cream on the way down to Belmar. On the way back my Dad liked to stop for a beer at someplace called the Wrode House, while Mom and us kids had pizza and listened to the jukebox. I can't for the life of me remember exactly where the Wrode House was. Does anyone else?

And, of course, there was the big white Lily Cup on the west side of the highway, somewhere around Matawan I believe (it's an industrial park now)... whenever we'd pass it, we knew were were halfway home.

Default Familiar shore landmarks

I guess I had a routine...if there was time I liked to shop in Brave New World in Point Pleasant (I found corduroy Op shorts on the Internet that I still love to wear)...heading home would stop and get a delicious Windmill hamburger in Long Branch (they all have web sites now

http://www.bravesurf.com/directions/...tion_page.html
    http://www.windmillhotdogs.com/index.html
    http://www.criterionchocolates.com/index.html

Stopping at Criterion for candy was always a must. They had the marvelous store on the boardwalk in Asbury Park...Seeing that huge box of fudge on the stand outside the store was my beacon. I remember the marvelous smell of chocolate and the cool air conditioned breeze that would hit me as I opened the door. My favorite candy store of all time...now they have a shop which is a shadow of it's former self in Eatontown...they don't make all the candy they used to...I still love my chocolate monkey lollipops.

For early trips to the beach we'd stop and have breakfast at Perkins near the circle outside Asbury Park.

Belmar isn't the same and Ocean Grove has gotten too popular.
    I always visit Asbury Park to look at the beautiful structures sadly in decay.

Wendy
    Wendy

Recent Resident

Belmar isn't the same and Ocean Grove has gotten too popular.
    I always visit Asbury Park to look at the beautiful structures sadly in decay.

Wendy
    I know what you mean. The reason Belmar isn't the same can be summed up in two words: Belmar Playland. The Year 2000 was its last summer. I'm glad I got to play Skee Ball there one last time, just like when I was a kid... now in its place are beachfront condos for the rich. Reggie's Bar is gone too... bulldozed by the same redevelopment plan that felled Playland.

However, the beach is still very nice... last summer I parked my blanket near the Seventh Avenue Pavillion for the first time ever, and had an excellent time chatting with a great gal from J.C. And the area down around 16th-17th Aves has a bar that captures a funky, youthful, more upscale vibe... one that puts Reggie's to shame.

Ocean Grove I actually like better now. Back in the 70s it always looked a bit creepy... with all the cars parked outside of town on Sundays. Now it's a more laid-back, mature alternative to Belmar... there's even a cool restaurant on the main drag that apparently used to be a drugstore.

I know that this may be considered heresy on site about New Jersey, but has anyone here checked out Rehoboth Beach, Delaware? It reminds me of the Jersey Shore 40 years ago when it was less crowded and developed... RB is like a cross between the old Belmar and the old Asbury.
    Last edited by Roadbldr '59; 03-07-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Default Belmar changing

I think the most inappropriate and obscene thing was turning the Pavilion into a McDonalds...

I went in there a few times and it just isn't right...

Everything changes...I don't like change.

Wendy
    Wendy

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I think the most inappropriate and obscene thing was turning the Pavilion into a McDonalds...

Where was the Pavilion and what exactly was it? I assume it was a hamburger joint. I hate the fact that many people would rather go to a chain restaurant than the local restaurants. Local restaurants give a place it's character.

BTW - I love your sig.

Mostly life-long New Jerseyan (lately trapped just across the river in PA)
    One thing - at least you are close to NJ. I was stuck in Indiana for a number of years. Then I lived in Portland Oregon. Roadblr - I am very familiar with Vancouver Washington too. I was on a consulting project for BPA (Bonneville Power Administration) in Vancouver.

another thing - when I was little we lived in Bricktown. My grandmother lived in Piscataway. We would of course take the Parkway to her house. We used to go up there every Christmas Eve and then on the way home, my parents would say how the radio antenna's red lights were guides to show Santa how to get to our house. Every time I drive the parkway at night I always think of that and the simpler times of being a child.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default Belmar Pavilion

The Pavilion in Belmar was a public building...it is on the beach and boardwalk.

When I was little, at night they used to have talent contests...I sang there with my sister and cousins.

And I do feel trapped in Pennsylvania...this is a hostile place for a Devils fan. I have a lot of Devils stuff and it all has to be tucked away. Philadelphians are not nice people. NJ and Pennsy are 2 very different places. I miss NJ.

Wendy
    Wendy

Recent Resident

Wendy
    Wendy,

I believe you're referring to the Thirteenth Avenue Pavillion... the Greek Revival green-and-white one. You're right... the 13th as a McD's was obcene! Later, in the 90s, it was turned into a somewhat better restaurant called... Matisse, I believe... but now that's closed down. The 13th is beginning to fall into disrepair. Sad. But with all the wealthy people snapping up the condos across the street, I'm willing to bet it won't be falling apart much longer.

I don't like change either... guess that's why I'm an engineer

Kevin

P.S. What sort of American V8s do you love? I just bought a brand-new '07GT Mustang. What sold me on the car? I rented one in NJ and drove it down 35 to Belmar last July!
    Last edited by Roadbldr '59; 03-09-2007 at 01:35 AM.

I have been wanting and drooling over Mustangs. I went out to buy a new Mustang GT in 1998 and came home with a Camaro SS. I drove both and there was a wide gap between them. The Camaro had a lot more for the money and the brakes on the Mustang had problems which I found out for myself. (Can't go fast if you can't stop the car when needed.)
    The retro exterior on the Mustang now has a really great look but I would pass up a high end Mustang for a Dodge Challenger right now.
    The epitome of updated muscle car...

Wendy
    Wendy