Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Moving to Shore (thinking)

Thread: Moving to Shore (thinking)

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Moving to Shore (thinking)

Thing just don't seem to be working out here like I thought. I'm seriously thinking about moving to the shore - particularly the Toms River/Bricktown area. I grew up in Bricktown - so it is like home to me. But then again - I've spent most of my life in central New Jersey - Kendall Park, Plainsboro and now Trenton. I'm trying to come up with pros and cons of both to see which would be better. Some of the reasons for staying in central Nj are really stupid though - such as the movie theater here - AMC 24 in Hamilton - is awesome. Also, I don't know what I'll do without Wegman's grocery store. Other than those superficial things, I have a lot going on here - such as being a member of the Princeton Toastmasters and the VP of Princeton Battlefield Society. The other thing is - ease of transportation. Here it is so easy to get anywhere in the state I want.

Now for the shore. I love the shore - but then again it's dead for half the year. I plan on starting up a subsidiary website which will just cover the Jersey Shore,so being down at the shore for that would be good. It's cheaper. Basically with the shore - it boils down to - it's cheaper and I love it. But then again - I also love central NJ.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs up Empathy!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Thing just don't seem to be working out here like I thought. I'm seriously thinking about moving to the shore - particularly the Toms River/Bricktown area. I grew up in Bricktown - so it is like home to me. But then again - I've spent most of my life in central New Jersey - Kendall Park, Plainsboro and now Trenton. I'm trying to come up with pros and cons of both to see which would be better. Some of the reasons for staying in central Nj are really stupid though - such as the movie theater here - AMC 24 in Hamilton - is awesome. Also, I don't know what I'll do without Wegman's grocery store. Other than those superficial things, I have a lot going on here - such as being a member of the Princeton Toastmasters and the VP of Princeton Battlefield Society. The other thing is - ease of transportation. Here it is so easy to get anywhere in the state I want.

Now for the shore. I love the shore - but then again it's dead for half the year. I plan on starting up a subsidiary website which will just cover the Jersey Shore,so being down at the shore for that would be good. It's cheaper. Basically with the shore - it boils down to - it's cheaper and I love it. But then again - I also love central NJ.
    How I empathize with your dilemma, JD! (What to do? )

The rest of my family (parents and brothers) moved to Toms River in 1968, just 8 months after I got married. I always wanted to follow, but my ex-wife didn't like the idea of living too close to my family during the first years of our marriage (though she would have settled for Monmouth County). Eventually, the clash was smoothed over, but by that time I was living in Massachusetts. I spent several vacations in the 1980s job hunting in Monmouth County, to no avail. My mother actually ran a small employment agency in Toms River, but most of her job listings were for legal secretaries and bank tellers.

Toms River has grown from a sleepy town that pretty much shut down during the winter months to a large town of about 80,000 people that goes year-round. My mother was delighted when the Ocean County Mall opened in 1976. (Before that she thought she was stuck in the boondocks.) Actually, I now find T.R. a little too congested for my taste.

My brother has commuted from Toms River to Wall Street for about 25 years, but his $100,000-plus job makes it worthwhile. I could never command a salary anywhere near his and wouldn't want that commute anyway. (I commuted two hours each way to work during my last six years in Massachusetts and was exausted all the time.)

If I were to relocate now, I think I'd prefer the southern Ocean County towns along Barnegat Bay, such as Forked River, Manahawkin, Barnegat Township, Tuckerton, etc. My youngest brother recently moved from Lanoka Harbor to Forked River, for a bigger house.

I've been to Princeton and love that area, so I can understand your mixed feelings. Who outside New Jersey would believe the Garden State has so many desirable areas as to make it hard to choose!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 06-05-2006 at 09:21 AM.

JUst to let everyone know (who was interested that is) I am moving to Toms River on July 14th/15th. It'll be good I think - but still a lot of my concerns still exist. I was looking at several areas - Toms River, Bricktown and Lakewood. I grew up in Bricktown, but still so much has changed there. Basically the reason I chose Toms River was that I liked the apartment layout. A couple of bad things about the apartment - no built in washer and dryer, but they have laundry facilities on the premises. Also - I do not think the apartment had a dishwasher.

Now the positives about it are - as I said it's layout. It has a seperate dining room with pocket doors which can be used as a spare bedroom. So basically it's a two bedroom apartment. Another thing I like is the large kitchen and closets. It also has hardwood floors. The other thing that is great - at least for the summer - is that it's 7 miles from Seaside. Another big bonus is that the apartment is gas, but they pay for it. Now of course it's obvious that they pass that onto the renter in the form of rent, but water and gas are both included, I just have to worry about electicity.

Even though I grew up down the shore, this will still be a big adjustment. I'm used to being in the center of New Jersey where the mountains are two hours away (or 1 1/2 depending on where you go) and the beach an hour away, Princeton being no more than 15 minutes away, not to mention easy access to the trains and lightrail systems. I love New Brunswick, I love Princeton and now I will be so much further from these things. Oh well - I will try it out. If it doesn't work - I suppose I can always move back.

BTW - in order to determine my location of where I was going to move - I did not want to be more than 15 minutes north or south of 195. If I was further than that - then it would be more difficult for me to cover all New Jersey. I would have also have prefered not to be further east than Jackson (exit 16 on 195), but as I said - I will see how Toms River works out.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

The bottom line is you can always move back if things don't work out.

I find every move is an adjustment. It takes time to find the stores you need when you move.

I just checked the Wegman's web site and there is one in Ocean if you need a fix.

And what, the Trenton area is about an hours drive away?

Go down and explore the area. See if you can find the equivalent of what you enjoy in Trenton.

Wendy
    Wendy
    Back home in New Jersey after some years across the river in Pennsy

I'm pretty familiar with the area Toms River area. Also - it's not Trenton I'll miss. I'm not living in a really great neighborhood or anything like that. Until May I had been living in Plainsboro, and except for the cost of living and the cops pulling me over to see if I was drinking (which is ironic since I don't drink), it's a beautiful place to live. I loved living in Plainsboro, I was 10 minutes from Princeton, easy access to the trains, to New Brunswick, etc. I was relaly centrally located to anything I wanted to do.

I check out the wegmans site to see where the one you were referring to in Ocean was, but that's a bit far north for me. I still have business in Princeton - so I'll probably be making it a point to go shopping when I'm up here. Wegmans is more than just a grocery store - it's been featured on the food network. They have a huge brick oven where they bake all their bread fresh everyday and they carry all these european style breads.

OH well - as you said, it will take some adjusting to do. I'm not moving that far, I'm still in NJ. It's not like when I moved to Indiana or Oregon or went to college in West Virginia, it's just moving down to where I once lived anyway and as I said - the most important thing - it's STILL New JERSEY.

This is where I'll be living...

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Toms River

JUst to let everyone know (who was interested that is) I am moving to Toms River on July 14th/15th.
    That's great, JD! I'm glad you finally were able to decide and implement your decision.

We expect to be in T.R. the first week of October. Maybe we can meet somewhere and introduce ourselves. We can get into that when the time gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    I just checked the Wegman's web site and there is one in Ocean if you need a fix.
    I know - in my previous post I said that Wegmans in ocean was too far north for me. Wel I've re-looked at it. After going to Super Foodtown and Super Stop & Shop, I have decided I will be doing my major shopping at Wegmans still. I think I may take a ride up there on Monday. It's only about 20 miles on the parkway, and so I think it might not be that bad. It used to take me 20 minutes to get to wegmans in Princeton/Lawrenceville when I lived in Plainsboro. Today I did my first "major" shopping and went to the Super Stop & Shop on 37. It just sucked. The produce department was so TINY. Okay - now I have never cooked with cactus leaves before, but I just like knowing that they're available if I want them. And Wegmans has that and much much more. Not to mention REAL bread cooked in wood burning brick ovens. I need to shop at wegmans.

Also by the way - Wegmans has a lot more Jersey Fresh produce.

New Jersey Proud!

There is a wegmans in Barnegat and another being built in Lakewood but that on has been stalled at the moment.
    It will be on Rt.70 near the GSP and across from the Lakewood Home Depot.