Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Telemarketers

Thread: Telemarketers

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Talking Telemarketers

This is sort of funny with what happened today, although at first I was a little ticked off. A telemarketer called soliciting money for the police, which I have given in the past. The thing is, most of the money doesn't go to them and second, I don't have much money to be giving away at the moment. So I started to tell the person I wasn't interested and he yelled at me for cutting him off. So what did I do? I hung up on him. Honestly, did he think I would stay on the phone after being yelled at for cutting him off?

I have a really funny telemarketing story I'll tell later, it involves getting a telemarketer to actually hang up on me.

I do love the no call list though - finally quiet.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi Jersey Devil, You can purchase a telezapper at Radio Shack for under $50.00. These people have a way of calling during the dinner hour or when you want to rest. The telezapper works unless they dial direct which most of them do not do. It is usually done by computer. It sure is annoying and once you help them out they are on your list forever more. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Default The Do Not Call list flaws

I am on the do not call list and I still get called - because there are exemptions for "charities" and "political & survey" purposes. That police charity which says it is a state police charity pays 80% or more for the administration and those telemarketers - I dont want 20 cents of my dollar going to the charity and the rest going elsewhere. I am so mad at the politicians and lobbyists who got an exemption for themselves and left the rest of us to be harrassed - but that zapper thing sounds like a good idea.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi NJBarb, I agree. The calls usually come in when you want to rest. These people have a way of calling in the evenings when you have worked all day. The telelzapper works just fine in most cases. Also when the caller ID says,''private'' it is a good idea not to pick up the phone. Anytime the caller ID says ''unknown name, unknown number '' you know not to pick it up. If it should happen to be someone important they will leave a message.
    It became so annoyinmg at one point that I invested in the telezapper.
    My daughter was working for telemarketers at one time and she said she had gotton zapped when she called me. LOL. Other people who call are police and firefighters looking for donations. This is a real problem too. I pay tithe and offerings to my church and cannot do a whole lot more but have given them say, $10.00.I have not used the no call list though. I just haven't gotton around to it. Marianita

Recent Resident

that was sort of funny thing..

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi lancemaria, I make sure I check out the caller ID everytime the phone rings. I still get calls from the poice wanting donations but they do not dial from a computer so the calls will get through. Sometimes I wish I did not need a phone. Telemarketing is about the last job I would have. Imagine all those people hanging up on you? Marianita

Recent Resident

Good Morning Guys,

I'm a newbie here, Is there a place in this forum for self introduction?

I had an experience with the telemarketer who attempted to sell a cruise trip .... it was really funny how they attempted me and how I paid them back...

It was 3 years back, I think me and my buddy give our names for a sweepstakes in a computer fair (it was crap fair) which offered a cruise trip to alaska.

After a week later, i received a call that we had a won the trip to alaska and they asked all kind availbility etc... then at the end, the telemarketer tells me it will cost us $3000 which is worth of $4000 for 2 people.

I was like... Man... then what i did is, I purposely dropped the handset on the floor and hung up.

The telemarketer calls me back, now I started pretending like I was talking on another line with my friend about how excited to get that alaska trip offer... for about 15 minutes then hung up...

Then they called our number 4 times... all of them were directed to voice mail
    hotel price comparsion engine | widget

I just hung up on one LMAO

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi 131 Dukes st, I have a new approach and it seems to work, for a while that is. I hate to be mean as these people are just trying to make a living. Can you imagine a job like that?
    The calls are for my husband. I just say for them to please call him back around 9;00pm and they don't ofcourse as it is late for them.
    If they are selling something I just tell them ''Thankyou for calling but I have to leave for work, now.'' marianita

New Jerseyan

I just read somewhere that in NJ the 'Do Not Call' list is going to expire in a month or two so if you are on it you have to renew! This is really annoying!
    I remember on a Seinfeld episode where he got a call and said 'Why don't you give me your home number and I'll get back to you? (Pause) I guess you don't want people calling you at home? Well now you know how I feel' and he hangs up!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi NJ Barb, I wonder if the list actually works.
    I solved my problem though in my own way. I have been working double shifts and am not around to get the calls.
    They have a tendency to call when they know people will be off work and it is usually in the evening. One of my daughters once had a job as a telemarketer and I had a telezapper on my phone. She could not get through. She said she was zapped. marianita

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I do love the no call list though - finally quiet.
    Yeah, I always get the telemarketer to put me on the no call list and I've noticed a drop in calls.

Quote Originally Posted by 131 Dukes St. View Post
    I just hung up on one LMAO
    My Mom did that a couple days ago. She was so busy and already has no patience for telemarketers and she just hung up. I told her she was my hero.

My fiancÚ is a softie and usually lets the telemarketer make their sales pitch before he tells them no. I just tell them immediately that I don't buy things over the phone and to please put me on the no-call list.

Usually the telemarketers are quite nice about it. I figure I'm doing them a favour - the less time they spend talking to me, the more time they can spend talking to someone who might actually buy something.

What irritates me about telemarketing is they are phoning me on a line I pay for to irritate me during dinner. This is wrong on so many levels.

JD, I had to come around your board because I miss you, and I found this hilarious thread.

Also:
    I have a really funny telemarketing story I'll tell later, it involves getting a telemarketer to actually hang up on me.
    Please to be telling this story now!!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

I changed my phone number. There was one person calling day and night, probably a scam. The grandkids were instructed to not pick up the phone if the caller ID says ''unavailable'' or unknown number''.
    It is nice and quiet now. There were entirely too many people calling here and we had the same number for many years.
    If the caller is legit then they will leave a message. I believe I could live with out a phone as long as I have my cell phone and onstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    JD, I had to come around your board because I miss you, and I found this hilarious thread.
    I've missed you too. It might be odd - but I think about the entmoot gang. We had a lot of fun. (For those who are wondering - Nurv and I "met" on another messageboard)
    Also:Please to be telling this story now!!
    Wow - I never did tell this story did I???? I could have swore I posted about it!

Marianita -

Good to see you back! How was your christmas??? Everything going well?

PS - I guess I'm in muliple question mark mood.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default telemarketers

Hi Jersey Devil. I am fine. I worked through Christmas (double shift, 4 days of them infact.) I would not advise doing this on a regular basis. lol.
    Have I ever got news for you JD. Are you ready for this? lol.
    Jersey Rich is now a Texan. They left a few weeks ago for Universal City Texas where he is going into a nursing program. He always wanted to do that, said he has been in transportation since he was 18. So he is fulfilling a dream.
    However I can still go NJ if I want as JR'S best friends live in Hamilton and said I can visit any time. Also the lady next door from NY said to visit her.
    I was a little shocked but it is quite alright.
    I know very little about Texas except it is alot closer then NJ. But NJ will always be my second home. Take care. Marianita

I've missed you too. It might be odd - but I think about the entmoot gang. We had a lot of fun. (For those who are wondering - Nurv and I "met" on another messageboard)
    We did indeed! The Mudwrestling, the elections, the April Fool's jokes, those were the days. (I PMed you my email address, if you wish to remenisce.[/quote]

Wow - I never did tell this story did I???? I could have swore I posted about it!
    Ahem. Weeeeell?

PS - I guess I'm in muliple question mark mood.
    You have questions. Questions that need answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    We did indeed! The Mudwrestling, the elections, the April Fool's jokes, those were the days. (I PMed you my email address, if you wish to remenisce.
    Thanks for your e-mail address. I hope you had fun for New Years.

Yes - remember the "Jonathan for President"???

And how can you forget this -

By the way - were you there for "Pink and Purple Day"??? That was a blast. It was when Tater and I changed the entmoot color scheme to pink and purple - then I told Tater to post a message telling people that there was a color calibration problem and that there was a call into the color technicians to check it out. He never thought that they would fall for that story, but we had them going on that one. Everyone was posting - "I wish they would hurry up and figure out what the problem is. My eyes are hurting". There were numerous questions asking what the color technicians were saying they thought the problem was. It was hilarious.
    Ahem. Weeeeell?
    So - you want to hear what I did to the poor poor telemarketer that caused him to hang up on me.

Well - I got a phone call around 6:30pm I think it was (this was when I still lived in Indiana). I wasn't doing anything and it was a telemarketer. I told him I wasn't interested, but he insisted on telling me what he was selling and he wouldn't listen. I was bored, not doing anything -so I listened to him. Asked questions about what I was going to be getting. It was some sort of magazine program where you get a number of magazine for a set amount. So of course I needed him to read off the list several times and all that. Anyway, over a half hour later - I said - let me find my credit card -which of course took a little while. Then I took my credit card out of my wallet, looked at it - and then said - "you know - on second thought - I'm not really interested". He was pissed and hung up.

I sometimes feel bad, because all he was doing was his job. But the thing is - right from the very beginning I told him I wasn't interested and he wouldn't let me get off the phone. I figured I'd turn the tables on him. He chose to waste my time,. so I figured I'd turn it around and waste his time. Maybe he learned something - when someone says they're not interested - they're NOT interested!

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita View Post
    Hi Jersey Devil. I am fine. I worked through Christmas (double shift, 4 days of them infact.) I would not advise doing this on a regular basis. lol.
    Have I ever got news for you JD. Are you ready for this? lol.
    Jersey Rich is now a Texan. They left a few weeks ago for Universal City Texas where he is going into a nursing program. He always wanted to do that, said he has been in transportation since he was 18. So he is fulfilling a dream.
    However I can still go NJ if I want as JR'S best friends live in Hamilton and said I can visit any time. Also the lady next door from NY said to visit her.
    I was a little shocked but it is quite alright.
    I know very little about Texas except it is alot closer then NJ. But NJ will always be my second home. Take care. Marianita
    I can't believe they left New Jersey. For texas??? I hope you do continue to come out to NJ, but I know it will probably be difficult with traveling to Texas to see Rich. But here is an idea - instead of going to Texas, tell them to meet you in NJ. You know it's better here anyway.

New Jersey Proud!

Hahaha, yes. Pink and Purple day was hilarious. Also, Jonathong and the animated PJ avatar (also, I remember fondly your debates about the movies with Blackbeathalizer) are good times.

(I'm getting a message that I have a new PM, and yet I can't find anything new in my inbox so email me. I'm on gmail right now too.)

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default general discussion

Hi Jersey Devil. I was in a state shock myself when they upped and left. I think that Anna, although had friends in Jersey feels more comfortable speaking Spanish and her bro is in Texas. The Hispanic population in New Jersey is lower then other places. At any rate I think ''Jersey Rich'' has wanted to fulfill a dream. That is a good idea you have about meeting up in Nj because I sure left my heart there. The thought of never going back makes me feel terrible. I feel as if I am Jersey, a real part of it. I am after all from the east coast and believe me it feels different then here. I cannot explain that but NJ feels like the east coast. My roots are on the east coast.
    I am happy enough but definitely a transplant, not of my own doing. Ofcourse New Jersey is better. No where is better then New Jersey. I do not know a great deal about Texas. I know a lot of great talent comes from Texas as our pastor is from there. We get a lot of talent from Texas as they visit our church. Anyway I quite agree, I have to go back to NJ. Marianita