Thread: Celebrate N.J. month

New Jerseyan

Default Celebrate N.J. month

Today June 1 starts celebrate N.J. month . It is a month long celebration to get New Jerseyans to show more pride in their state . The state legislature even endorsed it . They finally got something right . All the minor league baseball teams will have a celebrate N.J. night during a home game starting with The Newark Bears tonight . As a public service I will point out different N.J. history events throughout the month . My first fact is on this date in 1813 during the war of 1812 , New Jersey native Capt. James Lawrence said " Dont give up the ship " while involved in combat with a British ship . He was the commander of the U.S. frigate Chesapeake . During the battle he was wounded and died 4 days later . But his words lived on and became the navys motto . He was born in Burlington City . Burlington City is on the Delaware River , they have a riverwalk , and they fly a flag with his famous words on it for all to see .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

yeah - I was on the initial members of the cooridinating groups for this last year and I had given the initial speech when Celebrate NJ was first proposed. For some reason, they didn't ask for much involvement with AboutNewJersey.com this year. Marguerite Chandler, who was spearheading Celebrate NJ, had said it was me who gave her the idea. Has there been much advertising on this this year?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default N.J month

Not much advertising that I am aware of but that doesnt mean there hasnt been any . This is all good and it is about time someone got this going .

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    Not much advertising that I am aware of but that doesnt mean there hasnt been any . This is all good and it is about time someone got this going .
    I think htis year it's losing a bit a steam though. Last year it was much larger and more involvement with people promoting NJ. Now they seem to have changed their mission a bit. I fully support the them going into the schools and setting up currriculum for the schools. It's something that has been a long complaint with me, especially since NJ history is only covered in 4th grade. I think it should be elementary school - and then either middle school or high school. I also think that the role of NJ should be taught in all levels. When talking about the revolutionary or edison, etc - stress the parts that happened in NJ and the roles that NJ played. When I was going to school at St Pauls in Princeton, we studied the revolution in history class. The thing is - it was taught in such a way that it never really occurred to me that just down the street the armies were fighting the final battle of the Ten Crucial Days Campaign - known as the Battle of Princeton.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I moved this to the NJ discussion thread.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default N.J. Month

Some more facts for celebrate N.J. month which is now going on . The first brewery in the U.S. opened in Hoboken in 1642 ( raise one for good old N.J. ). The first state to have an establishment with a drive through window was , yes you guessed it , N.J. it was the Seven Stars Tavern located in Salem County it opened in 1762 .( Alright I know you had to ride a horse up to the window ). Just a few of the many inventions to come from N.J. include the stock ticker ( Thomas Edison ) , the barcode invented by Atlantic City native N. Joseph Woodland , and the colt revolver first manufactured in Paterson in 1836 by Samuel Colt .

New Jerseyan

Talking N.J. Month

Alright everybody some N.J. sports history . Im sure everybody knows the first college football game was played here in N.J. between Rutgers and Princeton as well as the first organized baseball game was played in Hoboken . But did you know the first pro basketball champs were the Trenton Nationals of the National League of Professional Basketball ? They won the championship the first 2 seasons in 1898-1899 and 1899-1900 . Frederick Shapiro of Delaware Township N.J. became the first pitcher to pitch a perfect game in little league world series history doing it in 1956 . In 1921 dentist William Lowell of Mapplewood N.J. invented the golf tee . The term birdie was first used by golfers at the Atlantic City Country Club in the early 1900s .

New Jerseyan

Default N.J. and the flag

Today June 14 is flag day so I thought I would give you all some flag facts . The first official flag of the U.S. was designed by New Jersey Congressman and Declaration of Indepedence signer Francis Hopkinson , NOT Betsy Ross !After congress adopted the Hopkinson flag the first place it flew over Continental troops was at the Middlebrook encampment in Bound Brook New Jersey in June 1777.