Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope the Giants LOSE!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE View Post
    Now J.D. I have got you, you are a hippocrate, If it doesn't matter what they put on their uniform WHY did you start a website "DropNY.com"?
    Where did I say that it doesn't matter to ME what they put on their uniforms??? I said it doesn't matter what they put on their uniforms, it doesn't make them a NY team. IT DOES MATTER to me however what they have their uniforms though. Just because they slap NY on their uniforms, doesn't make them a NY team. They may want to make people think they are a NY team, but they aren't. If they want to be NY then they should go back across the river and play in Yankee stadium like they did over 30 years ago.
    And if I'm not mistaken, and I Know I'm not, you wanted them to lose because of the n.y. on their uniform, right? Face it, the NFL, the people of n.y., the giants ownership, and 99% of the world view them as a n.y. team! And by the way as a longtime taxpaying citizen of this state I am well aware of the money given to the giants by this state.
    Yes - I always say that the reason why I want them to lose and why I don't support them is because of the NY on their uniforms and that they promote themselves as a NY team when they aren't. I even tell people - including my cousin - if they put NJ on their uniforms - I would be one of their biggest fans. My attitude toward the Giants would change overnight with them if they p[ut NJ on their uniforms. So I don't get how you can say I'm a hypocrite.

I wanted them to lose for the sole reason for have NY on their uniforms and not showing any respect to New Jersey, New Jerseyans and their New Jersey fans! The comment by my the owner at the press conference on "This win is for New York City and out New York fans" was an example of why I wanted them to lose. I found out last night when talking to one of my friends that that comment did open up some eyes as to the attitude of the Giants toward New Jersey and their home state.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Media image matters alot and what was seen by the country yesterday was the "NY" Giants defeating the New England Patriots. Other than receiving New Jersey taxpayer money & perks, the Giants organization have blatantly shown that they could care less about this state. Sadly our so called political leaders have shown their apathy toward this issue also by their silence. Imagine what could have been accomlished if all the same NJ folks that crusaded against the Newark Arena instead rallied for the Giants & Jets to either take the state name or move to their beloved New York.

Quote Originally Posted by vacgn38 View Post
    Media image matters alot and what was seen by the country yesterday was the "NY" Giants defeating the New England Patriots. Other than receiving New Jersey taxpayer money & perks, the Giants organization have blatantly shown that they could care less about this state. Sadly our so called political leaders have shown their apathy toward this issue also by their silence. Imagine what could have been accomlished if all the same NJ folks that crusaded against the Newark Arena instead rallied for the Giants & Jets to either take the state name or move to their beloved New York.
    I agree with you 100%. Look at what Codey gave away to the Giants in their deal to "stay" in NJ, not that they had anywhere else to go, but not even a thank-you or acknowledgment by the team for New Jersey. As I posted in the "Giants new Stadium" thread, when the giants made the announcement of the stadium deal, they said "we are so happy to be staying in New Jersey". If they were so happy - then they can wear NJ on their uniforms.

One of the key reasons for hosting major league sports teams is the marketing opportunities that come from it. The stadiums themselves don't make money - it's from the name recognition and attracting the tourists. It allows for the location to be marketed to a huge audience, especially when they win the Super Bowl like yesterday. But instead of the media talking about all the great things in New Jersey - it was all about NY. Codey is a Giants fan and he wanted them to stay at all costs, he gave away everything to him and yet boasted that the stadium isn't costing the tax payers anything. It's going to be interesting to see if NJSEA will be able to stay in the black with how much Codye gave away. George Zoffinger was completely against the deal and I'm sure Bernard Springer is rolling over in his grave - he was a big supporter of New Jersey and a true voice for the state - he died too young last year.

I wish New Jerseyans took pride in their state and would get tired of NY always taking our thunder. But unless we have politicians who care, or media to even report it - it's an uphill battle. You really think that NY news is going to report about the many New Jerseyans that are fed up with New York's arrogant attitude toward NJ???

BTW - I really miss talking to Bernard at the NJ Hall of Fame media events. He was a true supporter of New Jersey and always referred to the Giants as the New JERSEY Giants. I wish there were more of him in New Jersey.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Supposedly the Giants are having SOME celebration at the Meadowlands. Channel 7 had it as an aside type of thing, but there are no details on what it will be. It's just taking place sometime after the parade in NY. As for it costing a lot, Bloomberg said it is really not costing the city much at all. It's mostly handled by volunteers and security is only requiring a some extra police.

So I wonder - do you think we'll see the Meadowlands celebration televised??? and do you think that that magnificent Dick Codey who worked so so hard on the Giants new stadium deal and sold New Jersey out will be invited to stand side by side with the mayor of NY??? Will Corzine be present or the representatives of NJSEA?? For some reason - I highly doubt it. But if the Giants can win the Super Bowl, then maybe pigs could fly. I have a feeling though that we have a better chance of seeing the Giants put NJ on their uniforms and showing pride in their home state, than we do having having NJ representatives present at the ticker tape parade.

New Jersey Proud!

I sent the following to Codey -

Mr Codey -

I was wondering if after you made this great deal with the Giants and their new stadium, if you and Governor Corzine, along with representatives from NJSEA, have been "invited" to celebrate with OUR team in New York? Or was New Jersey slighted again?

As long as they promote themselves as a NY team, I will never support the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls. NY is getting all the recognition for OUR team - when the key reason for hosting sports team is for the marketing and notoriety it brings to their home. However, NY gets all the attention, while we continue to get ignored.

Where was the statement "This win is for New Jersey and our New Jersey fans"?? Oh yeah, the owner said "This is for New York City and all our New YORK fans". I guess we see what the Giants really feel about New Jersey.

I will continue to support a true and PROUD New JERSEY team - the New JERSEY Devils.

Sincerely -

Robert Rosetta

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    They have NOTHING to do with New York City at all. And yes - it is a huge slap in the face to New Jersey. That's why I don't support them and never will. They are NOT a NY team - they are a New JERSEY team. Doesn't matter what they choose to put on their uniforms - it was New JERSEY tax money that went to build Giants Stadium for them. It was New Jersey that forgave them $200 million in debt they still owe the state when Codey signed their new deal.

Just because someone puts something in their name or their uniforms, doesn't make it true. I can call myself emperor of NJ - doesn't make it true.
    Read your own post and then you will see where you said doesn't matter what they put on their uniform. By they way at today's parade Mr. Mara said they represent n.y.c., the great state of n.y., and the great state of New Jersey. Again the owners say they are a n.y. team. As far as N.J. reps at the parade the Mayor of East Rutherford was invited by Mayor Bloomberg, did attend, and was introduced on stage as the "Mayor of the Meadowlands and the Mayor of East Rutherford". Now as much as I hate to defend n.y. did we invite any n.y. reps to the Meadowlands as a good will gesture like Mayor Bloomberg invited the Mayor of East Rutherford? As a matter of fact in his opening remarks on the stage Mayor Bloomberg did acknowledge New Jersey. And if your so worried about N.J. politicians being sellouts to n.y. why would you want any to show up to the parade. The last thing you would want is for anybody from the NJSEA to be there either, after all they also suck up to n.y., don't they?
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 02-05-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

JD, don't forget to support the New Jersey Nets as well. (If you like basketball.) Heck, your state has two professional teams, you should be happy. That's not too shabby you know.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Trenton gives Bowl champs a dig

This was from the Bergen Record, NorthJersey.com. I'm glad the legislators at least made reference to the Giants' true home. They need to do more, put pressure on the team to change their name.

Trenton gives Bowl champs a dig

Friday, February 8, 2008BY JOHN REITMEYERFresh off their victory laps in Manhattan and East Rutherford, the Giants were honored by the state Assembly on Thursday for their Super Bowl victory.

Even South Jersey lawmakers who favor the Philadelphia Eagles lauded Big Blue's 17-14 win over the previously undefeated New England Patriots. Some couldn't resist a little dig, though.

"One day I hope to be standing here issuing a proclamation to the New Jersey Giants," said Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone, D-Hudson, in presenting a resolution to Giants tackle Kareem McKenzie, a Willingboro native.

"We appreciate your efforts on behalf of the New Jersey Giants," added Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce.

McKenzie responded: "We'd like to thank you and the fans in New Jersey who have supported us year in and year out."

The team carries a New York moniker but has played in East Rutherford at state-run Giants Stadium since 1976.

Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts, a Camden Democrat who represents what is mostly Eagles territory, said everyone in the state was rooting for the Giants on Sunday -- at least for the day.

"We are so proud of the job you did," Roberts said. Chiappone credited the team for overcoming the odds in a last-minute comeback against the heavily favored Patriots. "You inspired us all," Chiappone said.

E-mail: reitmeyer@northjersey.com

New Jerseyan

Default The Nets are a lame duck franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    JD, don't forget to support the New Jersey Nets as well. (If you like basketball.) Heck, your state has two professional teams, you should be happy. That's not too shabby you know.
    whose owner is biding his time until he gets his new arena built in Brooklyn. They have pretty much removed "New Jersey" from all their marketing. Why our state allowed this to happen is just another example of our politicans inability or unwillingness to stand up for NJ. Did you know that the state signed an agreement with the Nets that penalizes the team if they decide to join the Devils in Newark, but allows the team to move to Brooklyn or Queens
    (yes Queens!!) with no penalty? Yep, the state would rather the Nets leave NJ than play in Newark!! At the same time we get to subsidize the Nets and their owner who is using us to help pay for his Brooklyn arena. I guess NJ will also be forced to pay for the Nets moving vans!! Hey, do you think the team will still keep "New Jersey" on their uni's when they move?
    Last edited by beatman10; 02-10-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: not finished

New Jerseyan

Default We deserve better

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    I made it. You can use it too if you want.
    Yes, nice avatar! Is there any way you can post the file in a bigger size?

As far as the Giants go, count me among those who feel the team has snubbed this state for more than 30 YEARS. I don't care that John Mara briefly mentioned New Jersey in his speech. And I don't care that they say the New York name is supposed to represent the city and not the state.

If New York wants a football team, or a soccer team, or another basketball team for that matter, then it should find a spot for them. The state and city are more than big enough to find a place for them.

The fact is that the fine state of New Jersey, our home, is a well-known part of the U.S. We deserve our own teams.

And we deserve elected officials who are willing to stand up for us and our name.

Cool all about a logo,

I do not see why we cannot support the giants, ok, they do not have the logo right? But in the end, we do want our guys to go all the way to the top, don't we?
    My favorite place in the US is Atlantic City

Quote Originally Posted by svenk View Post
    I do not see why we cannot support the giants, ok, they do not have the logo right? But in the end, we do want our guys to go all the way to the top, don't we?
    But they don't promote themselves as "our guys" - they promote themselves as New YORK. We get the money whether they win or lose - but when they won the Super Bowl the owner did not say this is for our hometown state of New Jersey and our New Jersey fans - no instead he said - this is win is for New York and our new York fans. I'll support teams that are proud to be in New Jersey- not ones that merely play here because of convenience. Both the Giants and Jets should go back and play in New York if that is what they want to call themselves.

90% of the benefit of having a sports team is the marketing power. Think of the millions and millions of dollars companies spend to have their name on a stadium. Now think of how much marketing dollars NY gets by having their name on OUR teams! When people hear Giants or Jets - they don't think of NJ. When you see someone wearing a Giants or Jets Jersey you don't think of New Jersey - you think of NY. I will not support them as long as they call themselves NY while being a New JERSEY team. It's about time New Jerseyans showed some pride and stopped taking this second class status.

New Jersey Proud!

Sorry A-Line, I don't know what happened to the original file I made.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line View Post
    And I don't care that they say the New York name is supposed to represent the city and not the state.
    That is still a problem anyway, since they are from neither New York the city nor New York the state.

Sorry for the necropost guys.

Tourist

Nice, I like your avatar..

New Jerseyan

Smile Long overdue!

All right, this is a reply long overdue. First of all, logos change a lot faster these days. Money and not pride in their state seems to be the selling point these days. I guess if you want to be paid well, you would do anything for it. You can take a flying leap and guess what that amounts to.
    The problem is not localized to new jersey but it is prevalent everywhere, the culprit - corporate hogs who seem intent on buying the best players out and paying them even more to wear their logo. Think MacDonald and you will get an idea of what this is all about.

This is the most enjoyable Giants season I have had since they put that ridiculous NY on their uniforms. How much worse can this team be??? They only just scored against the Vikings at 9 minutes left in the fourth quarter. 7 - 44

I hope the Giants are JUST as good next season. It's hard to hope they could be any worse.

BTW - the proud to be New Jersey team - the NJ Devils are number one! I root for the New Jersey teams who proudly wear NJ on their uniforms and aren't ashamed to let the world know where they play.

New Jersey Proud!