Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hope the Giants LOSE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope the Giants LOSE!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Hope the Giants LOSE!

I hope the Giants lose tonight. I didn't even want them in the playoffs. Now they are one step from the Super Bowl. I will never support the Giants until they take that ridiculous NY off their uniforms and out of their name and actually acknowledge their home. NY has nothing to do with the Giants.

LOSE LOSE LOSE - Giants!!!!

Let's Go Green Bay!!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Well the Giants won - now we have to listen to NY getting all the attention while NJ is just ignored. Thanks Dick Codey for not making them put NJ on their uniforms!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

While I agree completely that the <strike>New York</strike> New Jersey Giants should have NJ on their jerseys, I'm going to have to cheer for the Giants anyway this time. Why? Because even though they pretend to be from somewhere they're not, at least they aren't a bunch of rotten, stinking cheaters like the Patriots.

My hope in the last game was that the Greenbay Packers (actually from Greenbay and not cheaters) would beat the Giants and then proceed to beat the snot out of the Patriots at the Superbowl. (My favourite teams are the Greenbay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys.)

The New England Patriots were caught filming other teams' practices to memorize their plays and yet their "perfect" 18-0 record is still a big deal. This is a lot worse than wearing the wrong jersey to games. The Giants could play naked and I wouldn't care, just as long as they beat the crap out of the stupid Patriots.

I love your avatar. I was hoping that Green Bay or anyone was going to be in the Super Bowl. Then I would root against the Patriots - because they cheated. Buyt I have to cheer against the turn coat Giants.

BTW - did you make the avatar or did you find it somewhere?

New Jersey Proud!

I made it. You can use it too if you want.

Come on, cheating at football is worse than wearing the wrong jersey. At least the Giants play the game right.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default My 2-cents' worth...

I fully understand and sympathize with JD's dissatisfaction with the Giants being known as the New York Giants when they should be the New Jersey Giants. However, I became a Giants fan when they moved from Yankee Stadium to Giants stadium because, at that time, they were the only professional sports team playing in New Jersey. There were no Nets or Devils back then.

My old high school's teams, Don Bosco in Ramsey, have played in Giants Stadium several times when they made the state championships.

Actually, a team carrying the name of the largest nearby city instead of the place where they actually play is not unique to the Giants. Lambeau Field is not in Green Bay but in nearby Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin. And the Cowboys play not in Dallas but in Irving. The New York in the Giants name refers not to the state of New York but the city, so the choice is between New York and East Rutherford..

I was definitely thrilled that the Giants beat the Packers because I lived in Northeast Wisconsin, about 20 miles from Green Bay, for 7 years. The fans there are totally obnoxious! They think if you live there, you MUST be a Packers fan. I'm used to one guy on a block being a Giants fan, the next guy being a Jets fan, the next guy being and Eagles fan, and the next guy being a Cowboys fan. I don't like forced conformity! I have to go back to Wisconsin on business soon and I never could have held my head up if the Packers had beaten the Giants.

New England is another story. I lived there for 17 years and no one every complained because I had a Giants coffee mug. In "the old days," before the AFC, or the earlier AFL, there were no football teams any further northeast from the Giants so the old-time New Englanders were Giants fans. So, unlike the Yankees (which they hate with a passion), New Englanders were tolerant of the Giants. And because they didn't hassle me, my opinion of Patriots fans is higher than it is for Cowboys or Packers fans. I tend to like or not like a team more because I like (or dislike) the team's fans more than whether I like or dislike the team itself. What's to like about a team, anyway? It's a corporation. Most of the players don't come from where the team plays and the players are mostly grossly overpaid. Are they nuclear physicists or heart-transplant surgeons that they should get two million dollars a year?

I like the Giants not because they have NY on their helmets, but despite it. If another NFL team ever plays in New Jersey and calls itself the New Jersey Marrauders (or whatever), I'll support them and tell the Giants, forgeddaboudit!

P.S. For some reason, I never cared for the Jets. I guess that's because after the Giants moved to New Jersey the Jets still played at Shea Stadium for several years, and I considered the Giants to be the New Jersey team and the Jets to be the New york team. (yes, even despite their names.) Also, I didn't care much for "Broadway Joe" Namath. He was the first quarterback to become what Tony Romo and Tom Brady are today, movie-star wannabes! Give me Y.A. Tittle and Phil Simms, or even Bart Starr and Roger Staubach!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 01-25-2008 at 01:58 PM.

There are several problems with the Giants and Jets and comparing them to other teams. Yes, many other teams do not play in the exact city that they call home but within a suburb of that city. However, there is no other team that goes across state lines, other than with teams who call themselves Washington DC - which is not a state to begin with.

In addition, NY is not the closest city to the Giants - OUR cities - Newark and Jersey City, which both have double the population of Green Bay, are the closest cities to East Rutherford.

As another point, many of OUR proud teams - take the name of NJ and promote and support the state - such as the New JERSEY Devils and New JERSEY Nets (which had also moved from NY).

When the Giants and Jets moved to NJ over 30 years ago, it was agreed that they would remove NY off their uniforms and be known as just the Giants and Jets - which they were. The Giants were NOT given a celebration from NY for either of their Super Bowl victories. New Jersey did at the Meadowlands. Three years ago, the Jets decided they would put NY back on their uniforms and the Giants followed only a couple of months later when there was no outcry from our politicians or the public.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are generated for NY by just he Giants and Jets having their name on the uniforms. Think of how much money is paid by corporations to have their name on just a stadium. People don't realize that promotion of a state or city is no different. We are still selling a product. This is something that NY understands - whereas NJ doesn't. We are selling a product. We are trying to get visitors to spend their money at our tourist attraction, businesses to move here and provide jobs. This all contributes to tax revenue which results in reducing the burden for the New Jersey tax payer. The Gaints and Jets are however advertising New York.

It is not just with the Giants and Jets though - American Idol claimed their auditions were taking place in NY - when they were occurring at the Meadowlands. Live Earth New York - was taking place again in New Jersey at the Meadowlands. When they do "promotional" spots for the teams and their "hometown" - where is New Jersey? Where are our cities and attracitons highlighted??? ^They aren't - they show Times Square, Broadway, they don't show the Meadowlands Wild Refuge, or the Newark Museum (one of the best in the country if it wasn't overshadowed by New York's museums) or what about Liberty Science Center - one of the largest in the country with the largest Domed Imax Theater in the North America? No - they don't show any of that - the only thing the news shows are the shootings in Newark - whcih of course lead to ignorant comments from outsiders such as the one spewed off by the ESPN sports announcer.

Having NY versus NJ - is more than what they wear on their uniforms - it has to to do with pride for where they call home and who gets the recognition for having TWO NFL teams. NY CITY - has NO NFL team - while EAST RUTHERFORD has TWO.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    While I agree completely that the <strike>New York</strike> New Jersey Giants should have NJ on their jerseys, I'm going to have to cheer for the Giants anyway this time. Why? Because even though they pretend to be from somewhere they're not, at least they aren't a bunch of rotten, stinking cheaters like the Patriots.

My hope in the last game was that the Greenbay Packers (actually from Greenbay and not cheaters) would beat the Giants and then proceed to beat the snot out of the Patriots at the Superbowl. (My favourite teams are the Greenbay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys.)

The New England Patriots were caught filming other teams' practices to memorize their plays and yet their "perfect" 18-0 record is still a big deal. This is a lot worse than wearing the wrong jersey to games. The Giants could play naked and I wouldn't care, just as long as they beat the crap out of the stupid Patriots.
    Please don't take this the wrong way because the irony of what you wrote (My favourite teams are the Greenbay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys) just struck me as funny. Here's why: I lived for five years in the Dallas area among Cowboys fans and 7 years not very far from Green Bay among Packers fans. Immersed among those intense fans, those two teams became my two LEAST favorite teams in professional sports. It's not the teams, themselves, mind you, but their fans. They INSIST that if you live in their area you must be for their teams. ("No I am NOT!" I would insist, which did not enhance my popularity, but it was always more important to me to be myself than to be popular.)

I fully understand JD's dissatisfaction with the Giants and Jets for not affirming their New Jersey home. I think fans in New Jersey should boycott their games, use legislation to make them acknowledge New Jersey, whatever it takes. But Cowboys fans are not my kind of people, Packers fans are not my kind of people, even Jets fans are not my kind of people because they lingered at Shea Stadium after the Giants moved to New Jersey so I still consider them to be a New York team. But Giants fans are my kind of people so I stand in solidarity with them, with their hopes, and dreams. Also, the late Wellington Mara was very supportive of the pro-LIfe movement (which I support) and he spoke at the annual Right to Life March in Washington, D.C. several years and I appreciated that. Too bad he was so stubborn about not renaming his team. He's probably in purgatory for that!

I cannot root for a team whose fans say: "Hi, ya'll, are you fixin' to go see the Cowboys play?" And I cannot root for a team whose fans practically browbeat you into supporting, "Gr-e-en Bay-a-y, donchaknow" and who wear cheesehead hats. But I do feel close to fans who go to the diner for a Taylor ham sandwich and a cup of CAWfee before the game!

To me, it's all about the fans, not some corporation paying big bruisers too much money for running around with a ball.

Anyway, I NEVER call the Giants the New York Giants, I always call them the New JERSEY Giants, regardless of what they call themselves.

Default About the Patriots

I got up on my soapbox about the Cowboys and Packers and why I did not like their fans. The Patriots are another thing, entirely. During my 17 years in Massachusetts, I drank my coffee at work from a Giants mug a good part of the time. It did not say NY Giants on it, just Giants. And I think I eventually Scotch-taped a line that said New Jersey onto it, above Giants.

The Pats' fans never hassled me, though. Remember that the AFC (and it's predecessor, the short-lived AFL) only came into being in the 1960s. Before that, there was not one NFL team any further Northeast from the old Giants who played at Yankee Stadium. So most New England football fans, prior to the Pats and Jets, were Giants fans. Even as late at the 1980s, there were still some old-time Giants fans in New England, so the Pats fans were tolerant of them.

So while I'm still pulling for the Giants, it won't break me up if they lose to the Pats, because the Pats fans are good people. And the Pats are such a strong team, it's no disgrace to lose to them. If the Giants had lost to the Packers, however, I would have never heard the end of it on my upcoming trip to Appleton, only half an hour from Green Bay.

I'm very sensitive to how people use the English language when I decide what I think of them. To me, all New Englanders sound like college professors whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower; Texans sound like they are trying out for a part on the Beverly Hillbillies (Jethro is fixin' to go in the SEA-ment pond!); and Wisconsinites remind me of Prairie Home Companion, nice enough (except for insisting you root for the Packers) but also giving you the impression that they ought to "get out more" and see some of the country beyond Wisconsin.

Well New York announced where and when they will be having the parade for OUR team. February 5th from Battery Park to Worth St. MY cousin is pissed because he won't be able to go - since it's on a weekday. I told him - they made it convenient for New Yorkers - they don't care about the New Jersey fans or New Jersey. It's all about NY. He asked me if that was really so - and I asked him -= how much do they show of New Jersey when they go to commercial break, how much to they acknowledge they are a New JERSEY team??? His answer was - well they show the Statue of Liberty. I told him that doesn't count since most people think it's in New York. He's pissed because he thought they would have it on the weekend. Rather naive to think that the team actually cares about the New Jersey fans. They care about us in only ticket and merchandise sales. They also like that they don't have to play in a baseball stadium - but as far as being proud of where they play - they give New Jersey the big fat finger. I therefore feel the same about them

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Well New York announced where and when they will be having the parade for OUR team. February 5th from Battery Park to Worth St. MY cousin is pissed because he won't be able to go - since it's on a weekday. I told him - they made it convenient for New Yorkers - they don't care about the New Jersey fans or New Jersey. It's all about NY. He asked me if that was really so - and I asked him -= how much do they show of New Jersey when they go to commercial break, how much to they acknowledge they are a New JERSEY team??? His answer was - well they show the Statue of Liberty. I told him that doesn't count since most people think it's in New York. He's pissed because he thought they would have it on the weekend. Rather naive to think that the team actually cares about the New Jersey fans. They care about us in only ticket and merchandise sales. They also like that they don't have to play in a baseball stadium - but as far as being proud of where they play - they give New Jersey the big fat finger. I therefore feel the same about them
    I just posted the following message on the message forum of the Giants website:

a few seconds ago 688167
    WarrenFromAveMaria

Joined on 01-15-2008
    Posts 1
    GIANTS Victory Parade Should be in New Jersey

Reply Quote Delete Edit Favorites Contact

It's bad enough that Giants fans have to put up with the indignity of having NY plastered on the helmets of the team that plays in New Jersey. At least the team could recognize it's true home state by having its victory parade in the Garden State. I have a suggestion: John F. Kennedy Boulevard in Hudson County, with the main reviewers' stand in Journal Square. Journal Square has a PATH station with easy connections to Lower Manhattan for fans to come over from New York.

If more New Jerseyans would stand up - stop buying their shirts or at the very least - cross out the "Y" and replace it with a "J" then maybe they might take notice. All you hear on the news right now, whether it is Fox, CNN, ABC or others - is NY this, NY that - they aren't a New York team!!!! New York has absolutely ZERO to do with them. It is New Jersey State Troopers who are there to protect the fans, it is our flag being flown during the national anthem. We get shoved to the sidelines. Thanks Codey - you really brought a sense of pride to NJ.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Guess who is paying for the Giants and Jets new

If more New Jerseyans would stand up - stop buying their shirts or at the very least - cross out the "Y" and replace it with a "J" then maybe they might take notice. All you hear on the news right now, whether it is Fox, CNN, ABC or others - is NY this, NY that - they aren't a New York team!!!! New York has absolutely ZERO to do with them. It is New Jersey State Troopers who are there to protect the fans, it is our flag being flown during the national anthem. We get shoved to the sidelines. Thanks Codey - you really brought a sense of pride to NJ.
    football stadium. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out! Yeah, the teams are financing the stadium itself but we (NJ taxpayers) will pay for all the road and infrastructure improvements whose cost estimates start at 350 million. I thought New Jersey was broke. And where are all those officials who were so vocal against the Newark Arena? How come they're so quiet when it comes to giving our money to NY wannabe teams? Let New York build them a stadium!! I want to see the Patriots win on Sunday, and I used to be a Giants fan until year 2000, when they slapped "NY" on their uniforms. But really, I would like to see a team go undefeated. It hasn't been done since 1972. If the Giants win, not only will it be more NY arrogance, but also a victory for mediocre, watered down football, which is really what we've gotten for the past 13 years of "parity" from the NFL.
    Last edited by beatman10; 02-02-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: didn't finish

New Jerseyan

New York has absolutely ZERO to do with them.
    This isn't true the Giants still hold preseason practice in albany, n.y. and it is possible , but I am not sure, their headquarters may be in n.y.c.. And there should be no parade in Jersey if they win, afterall we did not have one for the Devils when they won 3 Stanley Cups and they have no problem letting the world know where they are from! I dont want any New Jersey taxpayers to have to pay for a parade for a n.y. team!
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 02-03-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE View Post
    This isnt true the Giants still hold preseason practice in albany, n.y. and it is possible , but I am not sure their headquarters may be in n.y.c..
    They may practice in Albany for the short time during the summer, but that does not make them a NY team. And as for their headquarters - they are in East Rutherford NJ. That is where their corporate offices are - at the Meadowlands.

This is their corporate address -

New York Football Giants
    Giants Stadium
    East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    (201) 935-8111

As found on BigBook.com -

New York Football Giants Inc - Executive OFCS
    East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    (201) 935-8111

New York Football Giants Inc
    Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    (201) 935-8222

New York Football Giants Inc - Executive Offices
    Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    (201) 935-8112

BTW - I also looked up New York Giants - New York NY and no listing comes up for them in NY.

As I said, the Giants have ZERO to do with NY.

I wrote the following e-mail to ABC channel 7 news concernign their comment whent hey said if the the Giants win the Super Bowl, the trophy is coming to NY. (and they didn't merely mean for the parade)

Your reporters do realize that if the Giants win the Super Bowl that NY the trophy doesn't come to New York right??? The Giants aren't a New YORK team., they are a New Jersey team and the trophy will come to East Rutherford New JERSEY. It would be nice if WE got the recognition we deserve for OUR team.. If they win, which I hope they don't since they turned their back on New Jersey, this will be the first time that NY hosts a Super Bowl parade for them. All their previous wins New JERSEY held their celebration, because they were properly acknowledge as a New JERSEY team and not New York. In the past, New York refused to give them a parade.
    Merely having NY on their logo, does not make them a New York team. I will never support this team, or any team which plays in NJ and calls themselves NY.

I'll share with you one of MY Giants photos - DropNY.com

- Robert

New Jersey Proud!

And there should be no parade in Jersey if they win, afterall we did not have one for the Devils when they won 3 Stanley Cups and they have no problem letting the world know where they are from! I dont want any New Jersey taxpayers to have to pay for a parade for a n.y. team!
    Actually we had a celebration at the Meadowlands for the Devils - just like New Jersey gave to the Giants for their previous TWO Super Bowl wins. If the Giants win - this will be the first time they are celebrated OUTSIDE of NJ. New York refused to give them a parade the previous times saying they were not New York teams. Their celebration was held at the Meadowlands - where it SHOULD be held!

Also they are NOT a NY team - they are a New JERSEY team. We are spending $500 million on various improvements to the Meadowlands for their new stadium. Codey gave them the naming rights to the ENTIRE Meadowlands Sports complex, as well as their stadium. He also gave them ALL profits from any tickets sales for non-Giant events - which in the current stadium New Jersey gets. Codey gave away everything, and the Giants slapped us in the face.

New Jersey Proud!

Well I guess the Giants won. It's great having a Super Bowl team when their home state gets no acknowledgement.

Oh well - it's just a game.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Actually we had a celebration at the Meadowlands for the Devils
    This discussion started about parades not celebrations. As a Devil fan I have been to all 3 Stanley Cup celebrations and was lucky enough to go to the first Giants celebration, I still have the ticket stub from it. As I stated earlier NO N.J. taxpayer should pay for a parade for any n.y. team when we have not done so for The Devils! The giants are not a New Jersey team, never have been , never will be. Mr. Tishe said after the game that the win was for NEW YORK CITY,he said nothing about any part of New Jersey. It was a huge slap in the face to ALL of us! And again they still do have something to do with n.y. THEY PRACTICE IN ALBANY.

This discussion started about parades not celebrations. As a Devil fan I have been to all 3 Stanley Cup celebrations and was lucky enough to go to the first Giants celebration, I still have the ticket stub from it. As I stated earlier NO N.J. taxpayer should pay for a parade for any n.y. team when we have not done so for The Devils! The giants are not a New Jersey team, never have been , never will be. Mr. Tishe said after the game that the win was for NEW YORK CITY,he said nothing about any part of New Jersey. It was a huge slap in the face to ALL of us! And again they still do have something to do with n.y. THEY PRACTICE IN ALBANY.
    They have NOTHING to do with New York City at all. And yes - it is a huge slap in the face to New Jersey. That's why I don't support them and never will. They are NOT a NY team - they are a New JERSEY team. Doesn't matter what they choose to put on their uniforms - it was New JERSEY tax money that went to build Giants Stadium for them. It was New Jersey that forgave them $200 million in debt they still owe the state when Codey signed their new deal.

Just because someone puts something in their name or their uniforms, doesn't make it true. I can call myself emperor of NJ - doesn't make it true.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Doesn't matter what they choose to put on their uniforms
    Now J.D. I have got you, you are a hippocrate, If it doesn't matter what they put on their uniform WHY did you start a website "DropNY.com"? And if I'm not mistaken, and I Know I'm not, you wanted them to lose because of the n.y. on their uniform, right? Face it, the NFL, the people of n.y., the giants ownership, and 99% of the world view them as a n.y. team! And by the way as a longtime taxpaying citizen of this state I am well aware of the money given to the giants by this state.
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 02-04-2008 at 08:06 AM.