Thread: Proposal

Default Proposal

I'd like to see the state of New Jersey buy the rest of the small harbor island between Staten Island and Elizabeth and Bayonne in the Newark Bay and use it to build a massive monument to symbolize the region, the state, the nation, and act as the other bookend to the Statue of Liberty.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewarkDevil5
    I'd like to see the state of New Jersey buy the rest of the small harbor island between Staten Island and Elizabeth and Bayonne in the Newark Bay and use it to build a massive monument to symbolize the region, the state, the nation, and act as the other bookend to the Statue of Liberty.
    I wonder if you know about New Jersey Liberty Tower which I was inovolved with trying to get built next to Liberty Science Center in Liberty State Park. One of the things I was proposing was that the bottom level be used to market the state, from the north to the south and include a movie theater where a "first person" large screen movie was shown, similar to the kind you find at Walt Disney World. NJ Liberty Tower, would have been the tallest structure in the world at 2000 feet, with an observation deck at 1500. The problem was that the broadcasters, mstly who were made up of NYers, did not want to support NJ in getting a key tourist attration like. They had no problem with doing that if it was built on governors island, but they were only interested in NJ and standard tower and no obsevation deck or tourirst attraction potential.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

The tower is intriguing, but many places have such towers and that involves dealing with New York's broadcasters who will take every opportunity to undercut anything done for New Jersey's sake.

Newark Bay to me is a very underutilized asset. There needs to be a plan to effectively clean it and develop the areas not absolutely vital to the ports. It is one of the most often seen bodies of water in New Jersey and one that out of staters very often make fun of. If the three counties on Newark Bay got together with the state and federal governments to clean it up and redevelop parts of it they could make something that serves as a point of derision for visitors to ours state into something as beautiful and profitable as Baltimore's Inner Harbor only much, much larger. Five cities (Newark, Elizabeth, Bayonne, Jersey City, and Kearny) would benefit from it.

The island I referred to in the proposal is called Shooter's Island. It currently has nothing on it and is slowly disintegrating into the Bay. A good chunk of the island is part of New Jersey but most of it is part of Staten Island. The crowning piece to a Newark Bay redevelopment could be placed there. Find the world's most influential sculptor and give him the charge of building New Jersey's new icon.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I wonder if you know about New Jersey Liberty Tower . . .
    You may need to change your online petition since McGreevy is not the current governor.

I am trying to find some current articles on the tower, but I cannot seem to find many more recent than 2002/2003.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=147433
    - This broadcast tower was proposed by the Metropolitan Television Alliance (formerly the New York/New Jersey Broadcasters’ Coalition), an association of 11 local stations created to replace the transmission capabilities lost in the destruction of the World Trade Center.
    - New York architects Kohn Pedersen Fox proposed the concrete-and-steel tower illustrated here to allow maximum height on a minimum portion of land.
    - The KPF design includes an observation deck and a restaurant near the top, with retail uses at the base. The design could also be realized without the deck and restaurant.
    - As of April 2002, the tower had a working title of NYTTower/NYC 2012.
    - It was promoted as part of the city’s bid to host the Olympic Games in 2012.
    - As of November 2002, sites at Roosevelt Island, Hunters Point (Queens), Governors Island, and Red Hook (Brooklyn) had all been rejected by government authorities. Sites in Bayonne and Jersey City, New Jersey were being considered instead.

Metropolitan Television Alliance Broadcast Tower
    2002-04-06

News: Dramatic TV Tower for New York City Proposed

New York City: This Sunday plans to erect a dramatic new icon for the New York skyline will be unveiled in Las Vegas at the annual meeting of the National Association of Broadcasters. WNET-13 chairman William Baker will present images of an 1,800-foot-tall broadcast transmission tower. The proposed streamlined tower would require up to six acres of land and span 200 feet in diamater.

The proposal comes out of the New York/New Jersey Broadcasters’ Coalition, a task force formed by network owners and executives aimed at replacing the transmission capabilities – including 18 television and four radio stations – lost in the September 11th destruction of the World Trade Center.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together